I'm using Vibrant, where do I go from here......?

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my display and my sump are two sides of a coin. My sump has a powerful refugium light on it, and I let whatever algae grow that wants to in it. I have tuxexo urchins (4small), trochus snails (5 to 7), couple of ceriths, and 4 tangs and a foxface. The tank is 525 gallons. I know I have hair algae, it grows like crazy in the sump. Along with the sea lettuce. I just trim out of the sump for export and let it go wild. The display? Some mild green film on the glass and some of the rock, but it stays in check. Get a good refugium up and running. It'll take a bit of grooming the display with cleanup help, but you should be able to beat it with diligence, patience, and a game plan without chemicals. I also think dosing live phytoplankton also was a big help going through the uglies. The chemicals may be keeping you stuck there. But also consider the algae living somewhere to do it's thing.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a Nitrate problem, over the last 12/13 weeks I dosed Vodka and I brought the nitrates down from 47/48 to 13.9 as of Monday.

I followed this table.
Screenshot_20211122-191055_Samsung Internet.jpg
I read your thread about awhile back ... and I have kept it in the back of my mind. I have a hard time sharing my vodka though. :p
In all seriousness, I've been nervous about doing too much of these types of things because I dont have accurate test kits to properly gauge where I am at. This is why BRS had be sold on the "all natural" vibrant additive.
I plan on fixing that in the future.
This is the phyto I use, I bought a double bottle off of Amazon along with the fertilizer and have been splitting the cultures for 8 months or so.
Screenshot_20220223-131823_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I'll check it out. Thank you! I have read a few threads and how to about culturing my own, but I get over whelmed. :(

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your thread about awhile back ... and I have kept it in the back of my mind. I have a hard time sharing my vodka though. :p
In all seriousness, I've been nervous about doing too much of these types of things because I dont have accurate test kits to properly gauge where I am at. This is why BRS had be sold on the "all natural" vibrant additive.

I'll check it out. Thank you! I have read a few threads and how to about culturing my own, but I get over whelmed. :(
Phyto is the real all natural "vibrant".

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my display and my sump are two sides of a coin. My sump has a powerful refugium light on it, and I let whatever algae grow that wants to in it. I have tuxexo urchins (4small), trochus snails (5 to 7), couple of ceriths, and 4 tangs and a foxface. The tank is 525 gallons. I know I have hair algae, it grows like crazy in the sump. Along with the sea lettuce. I just trim out of the sump for export and let it go wild. The display? Some mild green film on the glass and some of the rock, but it stays in check. Get a good refugium up and running. It'll take a bit of grooming the display with cleanup help, but you should be able to beat it with diligence, patience, and a game plan without chemicals. I also think dosing live phytoplankton also was a big help going through the uglies. The chemicals may be keeping you stuck there. But also consider the algae living somewhere to do it's thing.
Thanks! Refugiums was the first thing that came up when I first started researching this issue. I feel limited by my biocube in that regard. I plan on trying chaeto in the middle chamber, if I cant get this under control. But I have heard mix reviews about whether or not I can grow enough chaeto in the limited space to make a difference with my nutrients export.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Refugiums was the first thing that came up when I first started researching this issue. I feel limited by my biocube in that regard. I plan on trying chaeto in the middle chamber, if I cant get this under control. But I have heard mix reviews about whether or not I can grow enough chaeto in the limited space to make a difference with my nutrients export.
I have a 90g with no fuge. Around 3 or 4 years old now. Nitrate steady at 10 just using phyto, skimmer, HoB filter with some chemipure.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 biocube uses pom pom (Graciliria hiya) for nutrient export. I have a cheap amazon light pushed against the back glass in the middle chamber and it helps a ton. Just have to trim the macro regularly to export the nutrients it absorbs. I prefer to use pom pom, as it has a slightly slimy texture and does not hold onto detritus, like cheato can.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The two test kits IMO that you need up front is the Hanna Nitrate HR and Phosphate. These two parameters have to be kept in check initially to help keep GHA at bay and your sanity intact.
So many people quit because they get beat by GHA, it is frustrating.

I started with all Salifert tests and was initially pleased but after I got the Hanna Nitrate HR I realized that the color schedule on the test kit lower range can be had to deferentiate.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g with no fuge. Around 3 or 4 years old now. Nitrate steady at 10 just using phyto, skimmer, HoB filter with some chemipure.
Thats sounds amazing! and where I'd like to be. I think part of the problem was that the previous owner let the tank go for so long. I read that the rocks can absorb phosphate and then leach it back into the water column which then continues to feed the algae. So if i understood it , even if I reduce the nutrients, the algae still has a food source with the leaching rocks. Im trying to be patient and give one thing a chance to make a difference, before I try the next. I dont want to throw too much at the tank at once, and then end up with a bigger problem or not know what was actually helping. I admit, I am starting to get run down from the battle though and losing some of the joy the tank brings. I will definitely try the phyto, as I know, that cant hurt.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 biocube uses pom pom (Graciliria hiya) for nutrient export. I have a cheap amazon light pushed against the back glass in the middle chamber and it helps a ton. Just have to trim the macro regularly to export the nutrients it absorbs. I prefer to use pom pom, as it has a slightly slimy texture and does not hold onto detritus, like cheato can.
Wow thanks!.. I will check it out for sure!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats sounds amazing! and where I'd like to be. I think part of the problem was that the previous owner let the tank go for so long. I read that the rocks can absorb phosphate and then leach it back into the water column which then continues to feed the algae. So if i understood it , even if I reduce the nutrients, the algae still has a food source with the leaching rocks. Im trying to be patient and give one thing a chance to make a difference, before I try the next. I dont want to throw too much at the tank at once, and then end up with a bigger problem or not know what was actually helping. I admit, I am starting to get run down from the battle though and losing some of the joy the tank brings. I will definitely try the phyto, as I know, that cant hurt.
Rocks and sand will bind PO4. Once it is removed in the water column, it will equalize out again and keep doing so until the rocks and water are in equilibrium at whatever level you aim for. This can take time and in a biocube, is usually resolved with water changes. The issue you have, is you may be adding it back in via the water, not sure as we do not know what is in the 17 tds you are adding back in.

Being as it looks like you do not have a skimmer, fuge is good option. Phyto is also another one and will feed critters that will outcompete the GHA. Just be sure to not overdose it. In a small tank, a little goes a long way. Dont want the biocube to become a grow out tank, if there are enough nutrients to allow it to grow fast in there lol. It will not hurt anything, but you may not want a green water tank lol.

Biggest thing is to make sure you get some accurate test kits and go to RODI for top off and make up of new SW. THis will be a game changer and make things so much easier.

You have the right idea though. Take it slow . Pick a course and stick with it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Add a bag of chemipure elite. Will help with your phosphate issue.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks and sand will bind PO4. Once it is removed in the water column, it will equalize out again and keep doing so until the rocks and water are in equilibrium at whatever level you aim for. This can take time and in a biocube, is usually resolved with water changes. The issue you have, is you may be adding it back in via the water, not sure as we do not know what is in the 17 tds you are adding back in.

Being as it looks like you do not have a skimmer, fuge is good option. Phyto is also another one and will feed critters that will outcompete the GHA. Just be sure to not overdose it. In a small tank, a little goes a long way. Dont want the biocube to become a grow out tank, if there are enough nutrients to allow it to grow fast in there lol. It will not hurt anything, but you may not want a green water tank lol.

Biggest thing is to make sure you get some accurate test kits and go to RODI for top off and make up of new SW. THis will be a game changer and make things so much easier.

You have the right idea though. Take it slow . Pick a course and stick with it.
Sorry I should have clarified earlier. I do have a skimmer. It is the the coraliife V2. It does skims but I don't know how well.

I did test the RO water and it was 0 for phosphate and 0 nitrates. However, again this boils down to the test kits Im using so i gets that doesn't mean a whole lot

*noted about not overdosing the phtyo

I'll show my husband your post and maybe he will jump on board with the RODI unit. HAHAHA... Peer pressure! I think he is hesitant because we have already put way more money into trying to fix the issue than we initial thought. When we purchased the tank secondhand we were told just run this UV and should fix your issue. then we told Vibrant would fix it, then the Lawnmower Blenny, all the while rigorously doing water changes, scrubbing, cleaning and trying to make sure we find the sweet spot with feeding. I've spent many many hours on this forum trying to learn from others.

I appreciate your feedback and encouragement.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Add a bag of chemipure elite. Will help with your phosphate issue.
In my media rack, I currently have filter floss, chemipure elite above my my marine pure balls, and then I have seachem purigen between that chamber and my return pump chamber.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I should have clarified earlier. I do have a skimmer. It is the the coraliife V2. It does skims but I don't know how well.

I did test the RO water and it was 0 for phosphate and 0 nitrates. However, again this boils down to the test kits Im using so i gets that doesn't mean a whole lot

*noted about not overdosing the phtyo

I'll show my husband your post and maybe he will jump on board with the RODI unit. HAHAHA... Peer pressure! I think he is hesitant because we have already put way more money into trying to fix the issue than we initial thought. When we purchased the tank secondhand we were told just run this UV and should fix your issue. then we told Vibrant would fix it, then the Lawnmower Blenny, all the while rigorously doing water changes, scrubbing, cleaning and trying to make sure we find the sweet spot with feeding. I've spent many many hours on this forum trying to learn from others.

I appreciate your feedback and encouragement.
You got this. I have been through it with numerous tank buy outs in the past.

For the skimmer, they do work, but the one I had never pulled out much nasty gunk. Not saying it does not work, just appears to not work like others in any of my other tanks.

I will say this, once you get this beat, the feeling is wonderful.

And keep us updated on how things go. Always like to see follow ups and such.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t really understand why the need to dose such things as vibrant for standard gha.

I just pluck it short and add a clean up crew of trochus snails, maybe a tuxedo urchin and maybe a emerald crab. They take care of it all for me.

I just set up a 5g with a freshwater light for a few weeks. It became an algae forest. I added a cuc and the rock is clearing up nicely.

Remember people had successful reef tanks before vibrant.

Also BRS is a company and they need to sell products to make money. That’s how they all get their paychecks :)

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t really understand why the need to dose such things as vibrant for standard gha.

I just pluck it short and add a clean up crew of trochus snails, maybe a tuxedo urchin and maybe a emerald crab. They take care of it all for me.

I just set up a 5g with a freshwater light for a few weeks. It became an algae forest. I added a cuc and the rock is clearing up nicely.

Remember people had successful reef tanks before vibrant.
My clean up crew is definitely lacking for sure. I am working on getting more in there.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clean up crew is definitely lacking for sure. I am working on getting more in there.
Check out reefcleaners.org and get a cleaner package for smaller than your tank. Will add diversity for cheap.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back