OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,

It has been a while! I went through a lot with this tank since it's beginning. My most recent phase was one of defeat. I didn't want to keep my tank because despite hours spent daily on maintaining and researching to ensure a pristine tank I was experiencing awful clumps of algae and cyano everywhere. I weathered the storm and let nature take it's course while following tried and true techniques of regular care and maintenance. When I felt most defeated, I woke up to a tank which was beginning to rid itself of algae.

My tank is looking the best it has since the very early days and my corals are beginning to thrive again without competing against nasty invasive hair algae.

All of my fish are doing great and are voracious eaters.

Here are some pictures:

MVIMG_20180530_125400~2.jpg

MVIMG_20180530_125503.jpg

MVIMG_20180530_125546.jpg

MVIMG_20180530_125553.jpg

MVIMG_20180530_125516.jpg

Thanks,
Jake

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are over the hump. I have never experience the issues a lot of guys have had, no cyano
No big algae except when it was less than six months old.
Had fish die due to a heater break and contanimated Seachem bag

Looking great

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, I just read the entire build thread. The tank looks great and it's a great inspiration for the lagoon I'm planning out right now.

Did you ever use the Aquamax HOB1.5 (first post). Later you mentioned the Eshopps nano skimmer. I'm curious about your experience. I want to have a high bioload (clown, wrasse, blenny, small angel, goby), but am wondering whether anything smaller than the HOB 1.5 could deal with the load well. I find the HOB a bit bulky and ugly.

I'd love to hear your advice on lighting as well. I'm wrestling with myself regarding the Radion XR15 G4 Pro (as you use now) vs AI Hydra 26 (I believe you used this one before. What would you recommend on this tank. It seems you're running it super low at 19% now. Lots of people love the radions but there seem to be lots of good reasons for the Hydra.
1) A recent BRS video showed you can get very similar spectrum on AI vs Radion templates. I've never been able to see them side by side but I assume that this means that they can look the same and would give my coral the same pop, right?
2) Regarding the extra power you mention, according to this awesome website it's about 20% more avg pair with a XR15 G4 Pro compared to the hydra but peak par and power consumption are almost the same. Given that I would never run either close to 100% my guess is that this extra power is not really put to use?
3) To get wireless control it's another $100 for a reeflink. I might get an Apex down the road and then would need another module. The diffusers also are extra yet again.

Overall, it seems that other than a bit extra punch, there is little that the Radions do more/better? Am I missing or misunderstanding something? Thank you for all your help in helping me learn about keeping reef tanks.

Thanks!

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, I just read the entire build thread. The tank looks great and it's a great inspiration for the lagoon I'm planning out right now.

Did you ever use the Aquamax HOB1.5 (first post). Later you mentioned the Eshopps nano skimmer. I'm curious about your experience. I want to have a high bioload (clown, wrasse, blenny, small angel, goby), but am wondering whether anything smaller than the HOB 1.5 could deal with the load well. I find the HOB a bit bulky and ugly.

I'd love to hear your advice on lighting as well. I'm wrestling with myself regarding the Radion XR15 G4 Pro (as you use now) vs AI Hydra 26 (I believe you used this one before. What would you recommend on this tank. It seems you're running it super low at 19% now. Lots of people love the radions but there seem to be lots of good reasons for the Hydra.
1) A recent BRS video showed you can get very similar spectrum on AI vs Radion templates. I've never been able to see them side by side but I assume that this means that they can look the same and would give my coral the same pop, right?
2) Regarding the extra power you mention, according to this awesome website it's about 20% more avg pair with a XR15 G4 Pro compared to the hydra but peak par and power consumption are almost the same. Given that I would never run either close to 100% my guess is that this extra power is not really put to use?
3) To get wireless control it's another $100 for a reeflink. I might get an Apex down the road and then would need another module. The diffusers also are extra yet again.

Overall, it seems that other than a bit extra punch, there is little that the Radions do more/better? Am I missing or misunderstanding something? Thank you for all your help in helping me learn about keeping reef tanks.

Thanks!

Hello,

It's been awhile since I've posted. Thanks for your questions.

The HOB I found was too large due to other equipment I am running. The nano skimmer has done well, mostly, but some micro bubbles on occasion. I have two clowns, a wrasse, a blenny and a goby.

I have increased my lighting to 26%, and may go higher. I really need to get a par meter, but no one is unhappy in the tank. I may get a diffuser and raise the light. While I have enjoyed my radion, I'd go with a 26HD based on spread and my past experience with the light.

I've had troubles with my tank as far as algae and some zoa meltings. I got an ICP test done and will attach it. The journey hasn't been easy and I'd do some things differently if I could. I'd setup a fuge and ditch my reactor.

I'm going to start a 60 cube in the next few months, but this tank will still stay w me. I'll post some pictures tonight.

Thanks,
Jake

Attachments

• Analyse26557.pdf
    128.5 KB · Views: 185

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice thread it was fun to read through.
hows the wrasse doing? I thought they needed a bigger tank? I will be setting up the same tank so it nice to see others...

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hows the wrasse doing? I thought they needed a bigger tank? I will be setting up the same tank so it nice to see others...
Awesome! I have a lot of recommendations for this tank that I'll post later tonight. The wrasse is doing great, no perceived issues with his health and no agression (he does pick on the blenny once in awhile). He will go in my new 60G cube in 6 months or so.

Thanks,
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I have a lot of recommendations for this tank that I'll post later tonight. The wrasse is doing great, no perceived issues with his health and no agression (he does pick on the blenny once in awhile). He will go in my new 60G cube in 6 months or so.

Thanks,
Jake

Fishy Snowman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still enjoying reading about this tank thx for all the info jake. Thinking about getting an 30l EXT really want a tank with a sump.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how this is progressing as well!

Unfortunately, I have nuked my tank causing everything to die except for my crabs, snails and fish. I sent an ICP test out a few weeks ago because I was having continuing algae problems. The results indicated solid water quality which led me to believe I had false readings being caused by algae. I decided to do something I have never done, I used chemi-clean to attempt to rid the tank of algae. The chemi clean seemingly was working and I followed protocol as instructed. My birdsnest was the first to appear to lack polyp extension. While all of this was going on I aimed to killed the algae, do a water change and have my new fuge set up to deal with potential nutrient uptick due to algae death. I received my fuge and followed my intitial plan and yet I began to see widespread stress among my corals. I began to run carbon as soon as I felt the chemi clean was my potential culprit. I ran vigorous water tests to identify other potential factors. My phosphates were high at .13 and so I began to run GFO. I have additionally ordered an ICP test again in order to identify other potential factors.

All of my high end corals which had turned into colonies or mini colonies have died. It has been a demoralizing experience because I have kept numerous beautiful reefs and this one has been my most challenging for a multitude of reasons. I have not given up which is why I have ordered more tests because I will fix this tank and restock it when ready. I also am going to be cycling a 66 gallon cube soon.

I wish I had better news for the folks that have me their time and attention...I appreciate all of you.

Jake

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I have nuked my tank causing everything to die except for my crabs, snails and fish. I sent an ICP test out a few weeks ago because I was having continuing algae problems. The results indicated solid water quality which led me to believe I had false readings being caused by algae. I decided to do something I have never done, I used chemi-clean to attempt to rid the tank of algae. The chemi clean seemingly was working and I followed protocol as instructed. My birdsnest was the first to appear to lack polyp extension. While all of this was going on I aimed to killed the algae, do a water change and have my new fuge set up to deal with potential nutrient uptick due to algae death. I received my fuge and followed my intitial plan and yet I began to see widespread stress among my corals. I began to run carbon as soon as I felt the chemi clean was my potential culprit. I ran vigorous water tests to identify other potential factors. My phosphates were high at .13 and so I began to run GFO. I have additionally ordered an ICP test again in order to identify other potential factors.

All of my high end corals which had turned into colonies or mini colonies have died. It has been a demoralizing experience because I have kept numerous beautiful reefs and this one has been my most challenging for a multitude of reasons. I have not given up which is why I have ordered more tests because I will fix this tank and restock it when ready. I also am going to be cycling a 66 gallon cube soon.

I wish I had better news for the folks that have me their time and attention...I appreciate all of you.

Jake
Hey Jake,

Sorry to hear that this happened. I know it's always a bummer when stuff like that happens...especially when you have your frags grow into colonies. Best of luck with the rebuild. I'm sure the next version will be even better!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read this Jake, I used it once at half dose and killed a 6 inch lobo, never again!
I hope you get it sorted soon!

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All;

Four months later and I am getting my spark back... I spent a long time walking into the house and largely ignoring my tank while it continued to decay. The loss of all my hard work broke my spirit for some time. Last week I began to really restore the tank. I came to find out that two rainbow chalices and my space invader Pectinia did survive! My fish are all well, though I ended up giving my wrasse to a friend because he was too big for the tank. I will begin testing parameters tomorrow. The glass and tank have been rid of the algae that's been building for months now, and surprisingly enough I think this gave the tank some time to mature...We shall see. Pending good tests, I will begin to restock the tank with some coral. Pictures will come soon too.

Thanks again to all who have stuck around.
J

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All;

Four months later and I am getting my spark back... I spent a long time walking into the house and largely ignoring my tank while it continued to decay. The loss of all my hard work broke my spirit for some time. Last week I began to really restore the tank. I came to find out that two rainbow chalices and my space invader Pectinia did survive! My fish are all well, though I ended up giving my wrasse to a friend because he was too big for the tank. I will begin testing parameters tomorrow. The glass and tank have been rid of the algae that's been building for months now, and surprisingly enough I think this gave the tank some time to mature...We shall see. Pending good tests, I will begin to restock the tank with some coral. Pictures will come soon too.

Thanks again to all who have stuck around.
J

Nice, welcome back. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back