JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking stuff!

Thanks!

Also, for those interested...

I am switching to fritz salt because I've heard great things and I am currently using red Sea coral pro. Fritz parameters more closely lines up with my preffered parameters.

Additionally, I have been buying my red Sea water from a local store ... They seem to be mixing at an inconsistent rate and my salinity spiked to 1.27. As a result, I had parameter imbalances which impacted my corals.

My levels as of yesterday:

Alk - 8.6 (target is about 8.2)
Cal - 420 (fine w me, mostly lps)
Mag - 1410 (target is 1425 to 1450)
Po4 - 0 (would like to see .01)
No3 - 0 (would like to see 3-5)

I would like to get my nutrients up a bit as well.

Thanks for reading :)

Jake

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I briefly thought about going with Frtiz too, but read too many mixed reviews, so i went with HW marine reef- it's great so far!

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, love the chalice', how "clean" are you keeping it, what are you using for nitrate and phos. removal?

I just wish it would grow faster LOL.

I use a phos/carbon reactor which I may change to just carbon soon. I started it because the rock was leeching phos for quite a while.

As for No3, I don't use anything. Just normal biofiltration combined with a weekly water change. I feed twice daily, mysis with selcon and Chroma Boost pellets :)

Thanks,
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I briefly thought about going with Frtiz too, but read too many mixed reviews, so i went with HW marine reef- it's great so far!

I will keep you updated as to how it goes, keeping my fingers crossed :)

Jake

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the phos media if it was my tank, get some readings for Nitrates and phos., corals use them as well!

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the phos media if it was my tank, get some readings for Nitrates and phos., corals use them as well!

I've been thinking the same...removed it today. Will monitor closely and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Jake

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the whole 200 gallon box of Fritz, it seemed to do okay. Prior to that I was using RSCP as well.
I just switched to Tropic Marin Pro, i'll give it some time to see if there's any difference.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the whole 200 gallon box of Fritz, it seemed to do okay. Prior to that I was using RSCP as well.
I just switched to Tropic Marin Pro, i'll give it some time to see if there's any difference.

I was using Tropic Marin Pro until a few weeks ago; i really liked it. Only reason i switched to HW was because i couldn't find a good price for Tropic Marin.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be told - I have been a bit negligent with my salt. I have been buying from a local store which mixes with Red Sea Coral Pro, but I don't test their batches for salinity. I did ask them what temperature they keep their tanks at, and they run a bit cooler than I do (they run about 75 F). That difference in temp plays a role in a difference in salinity. When I get the water in my tank at 78 F, my salinity has experienced some spikes all the way to 37 PPT at one point. Thankfully, I haven't had any death in my tank as a result.

I desire more control, so I will be mixing my own water in 5 gallon batches. I have heard good things about Fritz RPM and will let you know what my experience with the product is. I have an underlying feeling that when I get my salinity a bit closer to 35 PPT, with some stability, my corals will thank me with some major growth (fingers crossed).

Thanks,
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Got my fritz salt the other day. Ordered a powerhead to mix, but it was too big to fit in my jug LOL.

I mixed this batch over 48 hours by hand. 2.5 cups to 5 gallons was too much, had to dillut just a bit. Got it to a perfect 1.025 and have let it sit while mixing periodically. Clarity is good, no cloudiness or residue.

Tested today with the following parameters:

Salinity - 1.025
Alk - 8.1
Cal - 420
Mag -1350 ish.

I will dose a tiny bit of Cal and Mag to the batch, then do a 2 gallon WC.

Thanks,
Jake

JeepinReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank and corals, Jake. I like those parameters for the Fritz mix. Might need to keep that salt in mind for myself.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank and corals, Jake. I like those parameters for the Fritz mix. Might need to keep that salt in mind for myself.

Hey there! Thanks for the compliment about my tank...Much appreciated. So far, the tank has taken well to the Fritz salt. Corals and fish are stable and doing their usual thing.

Thanks,
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I have noticed that some of my zoos are going through a struggle phase. Nothing has melted, but a few things look ticked while others seem quite happy. I will keep an eye on things and let everyone know. Since removing my phosphate media, my P04 is still down, but my LPS seems VERY happy. Also, my tiny baby Jawbreaker is growing. Less than a dime and has a big ole' splotch of red :D

Thanks,
Jake

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny Baby Jawbreaker

MVIMG_20180116_200840.jpg

MVIMG_20180112_153340.jpg

Thanks,
Jake

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back