Immediate problems after water change with new Salt

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I just did a 10 gallon water change on my 80 gallon total water volume system. Its the first change with a new bucket of red sea salt (blue bucket). That's the salt I have used so its not new salt for the system. Salinity and temped matched well, I just double checked the tank for that. Ammonia and ph look good.

Shortly after I finished the change I noticed my acros sending out an immediate response. long white threads. then I noticed my 3 rock nems bulging. I think I noticed some snails falling off the glass. My yellow coris wrasse popped back out of his sand sleep and it looks like there is some red by his gills. Now I see some snails above the water line.

Don't really notice anything strange with the other fish... but the change happened right when my lights go out so its hard to say...

So, I just filled up my carbon reactor with carbon.

Same water change bucket... nothing out of the ordinary happened.

Has a new bucket of salt ever caused a major reaction for anyone? I feel helpless.... Cant do water changes now since that's the only salt I have.

thoughts?

OP
OP
Todd31

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but tested all parameters from main tank now after the change and I dont find anything different with salinity, temp, alk, ph, or ammonia.

OP
OP
Todd31

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the sps freaking out

20180708_222228.jpg

CjnBrn2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen when I did a 10g WC using a different salt as well on my 40g. Turned out the new salt mixed the ALK at almost 13 DKH and the SPS didn't like that since I keep my display closer to 8. I would definitely recommend testing a freshly mixed batch and see what the params are. Do you dose regularly or use WC to replenish the big 3 (Mag, Alk, Cal)?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros often slime up after a water change. Anenomes bulging isn't necessarily problematic. I don't think there is anything wrong other than things were just "disturbed."

OP
OP
Todd31

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost most of my coral but fish are alive.

Found the problem. My heater failed in the water change bucket and I didnt notice it.

This is a huge blow, not sure if this tank will survive it since I'm moving soon.

Check your heaters, everyone.

20180709_184700.jpg

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you found it. I replace my heaters annually so I hopefully wont have this happen. The relatively low cost of a aquarium heater is nothing compared to the loss of dozens of corals and possibly fish as well.

Run carbon and if you have it Purigen. Skim like crazy and do small 10-15% daily water changes for 3-5 days. Just be sure to get a new mix bucket first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Todd31

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im devastated because of my loss of SPS, but i guess i have to be glad i didnt reach my hand in the water change bucket with the busted heater turned on. I used to just plop the heater into the brute bin.... so now ill be extra careful that it is mounted and handled gingerly. Im doing daily water changes and changing carbon. Put in some poly filter and ordered Panta Lith from Unique Corals. In a couple weeks ill send out some water for testing to see whats in it before adding more corals.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poly Filter is OK for this sort of thing, but for removing toxins I found Purigen is one of the best solutions out there, plus it can be regenerated over and over. The only thing you have to keep in mind is you have to keep it wet or the beads can split.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back