In need of ideas for in wall tank

m3p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently planning a 450 gallon (8’x3’x30”) in the basement. I want to do an inwall build with the tank flush or as close to flush on the left side of tank and front of tank (viewable from living area of basement) on those 2 sides. The right side of tank will be viewable from a wine room and will have 2x4 ledge around that viewing angle. The tank will be sitting in a fish room.

What is the best way to accomplish this look? I was thinking about using a steel stand, but wasn’t sure how to attach drywall to the stand. Am I better going with a wood constructed stand that integrates into the walls?

Above the tank I plan to have Blum hinges with panels that lift up so that I can access the front of the tank for easier maintenance and coral placement.

Would love to see pictures if you have something similar.

OP
OP
M

m3p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the plans to help.

Attachments

• 2AF62F4A-3F8A-42E1-9DA2-460E51E83918.jpeg
    2AF62F4A-3F8A-42E1-9DA2-460E51E83918.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 70

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a quality construction glue to attach the drywall to the stand. HOWEVER what is the spacing of you vertical supports? Consider having additional Vertical supports added to the metal stand so the drywalll doesn’t wave or warp. Also consider using a high density tile backer board and greenboard instead of regular drywall. The illegal backer could be 1/4” th. To help keep moisture omg dry wall. The green board is the type of drywall often used in bathrooms that will be tiled and painted.

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get self tapping drywall screws we use this on HD steel studs. I did a much smaller in wall tank not long ago I used edge bead for the opening it's a nice clean look without having to use trim around the tank.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing something similar before my divorce. The tank was going in the wall behind the bar. I framed a wooden stand that was part of the actual wall it was going into.

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build the wall around the tank...use a steel frame. Your contractor will know what to do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back