In sump heaters... How do they work?

bamaborn81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain to my how in sump heaters work? Do you use 2 probes to determine heat in the sump and aquarium? Or are they set on a controller?
Also can anyone recommend a heating setup? Thanks!

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the times heaters have an internal thermostat that will turn them on and off according to the temp you set it at.
This is also usually the first thing to fail on a heater and it will remain in an open position that is why they are usually controlled by a third party controller.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In sump heaters work just like if they were in your display tank. They sense the water temp around it, turn on when it low and turn off when the surrounding area is up to its temp. You can use an outside temp probe in the display to check temp for you, then adjust the heater as needed.
Get one for above your tank range, this way it won't be on constantly and will heat better.
Heating set up for a Reef tank is between 76-82, leaning more towards 77-79.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two heaters in my sump with the temp probe in the corner of the DT. They are hooked to my Apex for temp control. The reason the temp probe is not in the sump is it swings a lot due to the fact that it is in the chamber after the heaters. If you keep in the DT, the swing is much more muted and then you get the mixed temp, not the sump temp, if that makes sense. People do it both ways though. The reason for two heater is if one fails I can still maintain temp in my tank.

OP
OP
B

bamaborn81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so what I'm looking for is 2 heaters and a monitor. Can anyone suggest a combo that may be out there?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a single 250 watt heater and a reef keeper lite. It will be the controller out of the box and also give you a slew of other nice things like lights timers, a pH probe, wave timers, etc. The way the heater works in this setup is you usually set the heater thermostat a couple of degrees higher then you want it and use the temp probe that comes with the RKL to control the power of the heater outlet when needed.

As far as your tank vs your sump temps, they should be the same. Your water circulates continuously. I have my temp probe in chamber 1 of my sump and chamber 2 is where my heaters are.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like ca heaters but they dont work without a controller.

I run a 800w ca titanium heater on a blueline controller, on my 180g.

be carefull if you have a reefkeeper anything over 250w will burn out the sockets on the pc4

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good.

I believe the ReefKeep comes with a Temp Probe.

BRS is having a deal on them right now. You get 1000 bouns points on any RK or Apex controller bought now.
Just a mention.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marine depot rkl wilth sl1 for $179!! but again it is recommended to not run a heater on it. it will cook the outlet on the pc4 at $80 each you will learn quick

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back