In tank cipro dosing

Bahnas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Tank Cipro treatment simplified. This is used for brown jelly disease. Can be use for other things like torch bacteria infection.This is how I did it simplify from the Original thread. I have to give credit to the original thread because they help me treat brown-jelly disease in my tank and help my torches recover. Many thanks if the original see this.

BEWARE
Do this at your own risk.

Making concentration for dosing intank.
Add 500mg tablet into 50ml of rodi water. Mix well. If possible store in a dark container or anything that is not clear so cipro doesn’t degrade. When mixed store in fridge.

Calculate how much
(Amount tank water in liters) multiple by (.125) divide by 10. In mL.

for example
284 liters x .125 divide 10= 3.55 mL

This is how much you dose in ml every night. Turn off skimmer and take out carbon. Turn on skimmer during the day when lights on if you want but can be left off. This can kill some of good bacteria so recommend adding bottle bacteria after treatment.

Reapply some bacteria using biospira or Dr. Tim’s after treatment. Add carbon. Can also do a water change if you like, if reapply bacteria do water change first then reapply bottle bacteria.
Hello
How many times (days) should I dose Cipro ??

Bahnas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Tank Cipro treatment simplified. This is used for brown jelly disease. Can be use for other things like torch bacteria infection.This is how I did it simplify from the Original thread. I have to give credit to the original thread because they help me treat brown-jelly disease in my tank and help my torches recover. Many thanks if the original see this.

BEWARE
Do this at your own risk.

Making concentration for dosing intank.
Add 500mg tablet into 50ml of rodi water. Mix well. If possible store in a dark container or anything that is not clear so cipro doesn’t degrade. When mixed store in fridge.

Calculate how much
(Amount tank water in liters) multiple by (.125) divide by 10. In mL.

for example
284 liters x .125 divide 10= 3.55 mL

This is how much you dose in ml every night. Turn off skimmer and take out carbon. Turn on skimmer during the day when lights on if you want but can be left off. This can kill some of good bacteria so recommend adding bottle bacteria after treatment.

Reapply some bacteria using biospira or Dr. Tim’s after treatment. Add carbon. Can also do a water change if you like, if reapply bacteria do water change first then reapply bottle bacteria.
Hello
How many times (days) should I dose Cipro ??

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone had any luck with bacteria infection with BTA’s in their DT when dosing cipro at this low of a dose? I don’t want to put him in a hospital tank and hoping 6 days of .125 cipro will do the same thing as a hospital tank with higher level of cipro.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any luck with bacteria infection with BTA’s in their DT when dosing cipro at this low of a dose? I don’t want to put him in a hospital tank and hoping 6 days of .125 cipro will do the same thing as a hospital tank with higher level of cipro.
Interested in experiences with this as well. I had an RFA on its death bed and started in tank cipro, and it has bounced back. Had no tentacles, mouth completely gaping. Could have bounced back on its own, who knows. Three days into cipro and it walked to a new spot and has stayed put. Month or two later now (can't recall), no gaping, has tentacles again, coloring up a little bit and will sometimes accept food.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interested in experiences with this as well. I had an RFA on its death bed and started in tank cipro, and it has bounced back. Had no tentacles, mouth completely gaping. Could have bounced back on its own, who knows. Three days into cipro and it walked to a new spot and has stayed put. Month or two later now (can't recall), no gaping, has tentacles again, coloring up a little bit and will sometimes accept food.

will let you know. Doing both my 60gal and nano 15gal that has BTA tonight. Will do 6 days, 6 doses.

City_Boy_Jay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think I should add bacteria after in tank treatment? Or just do it after all my cipro doses are done?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the main threads that comes up during google so I'm going to reply here

I'm going to dose Cipro this weekend. I am going to use double the dose recommended in this thread because my research has turned up many cases of people dosing huge a mounts beyond the rec. formula and having no ill effects.

I will turn off UV and possibly let the skimmer go with the cup off - I'm expecting it to go nuts like when I treated with Chemiclean.

I don't have BJD, but I have some unhappy acans that are not responding to anything, and Than from TG has recommended Cipro in the past for acans/micromussa that are doing poorly for no discernable reason.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the main threads that comes up during google so I'm going to reply here

I'm going to dose Cipro this weekend. I am going to use double the dose recommended in this thread because my research has turned up many cases of people dosing huge a mounts beyond the rec. formula and having no ill effects.

I will turn off UV and possibly let the skimmer go with the cup off - I'm expecting it to go nuts like when I treated with Chemiclean.

I don't have BJD, but I have some unhappy acans that are not responding to anything, and Than from TG has recommended Cipro in the past for acans/micromussa that are doing poorly for no discernable reason.
how did this turn out?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ill effects and my shriveled acan/micromussa lord started opening up more again after being tightly shriveled for some inexplicable reason for 2 weeks.
I've had 4 doses so far.
did you do, or are you going to do a water change afterwards? I have a 300 I may do this on.

DeepSea75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions for the group:

1) How long have you been experiencing ill looking corals and when did it start in your tank/s?
2) What products/brands (bottled bacteria, frozen foods, phyto) do you use in your tank/s?

I'm wondering if we're all using something from a manufacturer that may be introducing a harmful bacteria. I'm tempted to send sealed products off for testing to see if this is the culprit.

Alexandru B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this will work for euphilias?
It’s been 3 months since my hammers are expelling the polyps not sure why. I lost a lot of hammer hands and even wall hammers. I did do a cipro treatment for 6 days with breack for a day between treatment. Maybe I should have dose every day. So only 3 doses of cipro.
Here is a video that shows the issue.

Also I see some type of mushrooms are affected as well. My Jawbreacker kinda bleached out, I lost like 4 Sunkist bounce mushrooms, but my OG bounce have no issues.

Last edited:

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you think this will work for euphilias?
It’s been 3 months since my hammers are expelling the polyps not sure why. I lost a lot of hammer hands and even wall hammers. I did do a cipro treatment for 6 days with breack for a day between treatment. Maybe I should have dose every day. So only 3 doses of cipro.
Here is a video that shows the issue.

Also I see some type of mushrooms are affected as well. My Jawbreacker kinda bleached out, I lost like 4 Sunkist bounce mushrooms, but my OG bounce have no issues.

How is your hammer now? Mine having similar issue and I wonder if I should use the cipro tank treatment t.

dadandsonsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're very welcome and I do absolutely %100 give all new torches baths before introduced into the tank.

This is just what I do...

I first acclimate the new corals with my tank water and keep all of that for the bath. I try to end up with at least 1 gallon of water after acclimating to use for the bath.

While the coral is acclimating I make a small solution of all the medications with 2 cups of tank water.

I use what people call the KFC dip which was first given to me by Ryan Chummingham almost 3 years ago now. He has some amazing reef tanks and if you haven't heard of him check him out on Instagram under chumminghamreef.

500mg cipro crushed up
3 scoops chemiclean
10ml restore
10ml amino acid
10ml Witch hazel
2 full droppers of lugols iodine

If you don't have all of those just use the cipro and chemiclean as those are for bacteria specifically.

The rest help regrow flesh and overall health and are just bonuses.

If I am dipping for pests that a whole different situation....

I dip for pests first and then start a bath for the other stuff.
How long are the baths for and how often do you do them ?

Alexandru B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your hammer now? Mine having similar issue and I wonder if I should use the cipro tank treatment t.
I saw yesterday that I lost 2 more hammer heads. But it was different, the torches did not expell the head I think was looking like they ware diconposing. No sure if my blue tang nipped aon them and cased something like this. I removed the blue tank.
Also this happened after a 6 days cipro dosing for every day in the nighttime after the lights are out.

Not sure if it can be because my Nitrate phosphate balance is not good.
My Phosphate is 0.3ppm while my nitrites are 5ppm. Most of my SPS are doing fine in such high phosphate only 2 of the SPS experience issues in loss of color.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you do, or are you going to do a water change afterwards? I have a 300 I may do this on.
I do 20% water changes once a week no matter what, so yes I did.

I had no ill effects from the treatment.

My micro lords all bounced back from whatever weird shriveling behavior they were doing. YMMV and maybe that was just a coincidence.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long are the baths for and how often do you do them ?
6 hours is the normal length.

Whenever I do a water change they get a bath.
20230402_143801.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back