In tank cipro dosing

HVRK23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can anyone help to translate into gallons i.e. how many 500 Cipro pills for a 240 gallon tank? I am completely lost with the math. Thank you!!

First you want to add the 500MG to 50 ML of water and dissolve. Then for your tank the math is as follows according to the statement above.

909 Liter x .125 divide by 10 = 11.36 ML

Basically just dose 12ML per night into your 240 gallon tank or every other night depending on what individuals above have said.

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help to translate into gallons i.e. how many 500 Cipro pills for a 240 gallon tank? I am completely lost with the math. Thank you!!

Put a 500 mg capsule in a 50 ml RODI to use during the course

240 gallons in Litre = 908.499 litre
908 x .125 = 113.5

Dose = 113.5/10 = 11.3 ml every two days at night.

Use a syringe to take 11.3 ml from the 50 ml mixture and use it.

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

908 x .125 = 113.5

Use a syringe to take 11.3 ml from the 50 ml mixture and use it.
Thank you Crezguy for making it so easy easy for me! A simple translation into ounces, tablespoons and teaspoons has really helped me to get a handle on this… And I really appreciate your jumping in and helping. This is basically my first post asking help with my Reef and I feel encouraged by and grateful for this community. Have an amazing day!

HVRK23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

908 x .125 = 113.5

Use a syringe to take 11.3 ml from the 50 ml mixture a

What’s your overall experience with in tank dosing? Have you compared it to using this as a dip? Any long term effects you have noticed for in tank treatment?

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s your overall experience with in tank dosing? Have you compared it to using this as a dip? Any long term effects you have noticed for in tank treatment?
I would love to hear about anybody’s experience with this, this will be my first time using Cipro.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to hear about anybody’s experience with this, this will be my first time using Cipro.
I'm a huge advocate for cipro and amoxicillin for our sick pets. I run baths weekly for my tanks.

However I will play devils advocate and suggest large baths over whole tank treatment. Not because it kills good bacteria because there is a study that shows it actually doesn't as much as we think.

Here's why....

We all have bacteria in our tanks.

Good

Bad

Some like BJ that are the worst.

Our tanks are growing and changing on a daily basis.

Bacteria grows and changes as well.

When we add a frag...different bacteria.

When we stick our hand in the tank....different bacteria.

When we feed...different bacteria.

I think you get the point.

When we treat our whole tank we DO NOT allow any bacteria to diversify or grow.

That means if you dose meds for a long time, then you are always going to have sick coral if you miss doses or for argumemts sake lets say a week of dosing....because any bacteria you add that the coral are not used to will negatively affect them as they are relying on the meds to remove the bacteria instead of growing a natural immunity to it.

Baths allow the corals to get a break from the bad bacteria or overload of bacteria in our tanks and regain strength to fight off said bacteria eventually.

If you dose a reef tank daily with meds you are no longer keeping a reef tank but you are now keeping a hospital tank.

Same could be said for any additive but meds are a little different than ab+ or reef frenzy.

At the end of the day do what makes you feel good for your corals and tank but be ready to continue adding meds long term because the moment you stop is the moment your tank will go through a stage where it is adjusting back to whatever bacteria is introduced, which will most likely lead to bj again.

Belive it or not this happens a lot now with vendors who get coral in and cipro them for 2 months and then ship them to someone buying them and then the coral dies in their tank from BJ and they don't know why....the coral literally went from a hospital tank to our home tank and was bombarded by bacteria.

Don't mean to be a downer as cipro is amazing!

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did the in tank treatment recently. Great results. Polyp extension is great now. Saved my torches, hammers and lps overall. During the course I lost a head of pink octospwan. But given that I saved almost 50 heads of all together. This method I would say as life saver for any Reefer.

I didn't have any ill effects. My parameters were good. Nutrients stayed in level. No issues with good bacteria loss. I still dosed after the course. Fishes stayed healthy.

I did dose every day for 6 days at night. Skimmer was ON but outlet drain was open so I don't skim out.

Overall felt happy with the in tank
treatment and learning something new.

Started doing bi weekly Water Changes now so I keep the acrobacter out of the colony and also dipping anything into the KFC method prior adding them to my tank.

Also while doing water changes, adding Brightwell clean, Microbactor 7 and half dose of recommended Melafix to keep the Acrobacter away. Did an ICP test and see no trace of Acrobacter. Will monitor and see how this goes.

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a huge advocate for cipro and amoxicillin for our sick pets. I run baths weekly for my tanks.

However I will play devils advocate and suggest large baths over whole tank treatment. Not because it kills good bacteria because there is a study that shows it actually doesn't as much as we think.

Here's why....

We all have bacteria in our tanks.

Good

Bad

Some like BJ that are the worst.

Our tanks are growing and changing on a daily basis.

Bacteria grows and changes as well.

When we add a frag...different bacteria.

When we stick our hand in the tank....different bacteria.

When we feed...different bacteria.

I think you get the point.

When we treat our whole tank we DO NOT allow any bacteria to diversify or grow.

That means if you dose meds for a long time, then you are always going to have sick coral if you miss doses or for argumemts sake lets say a week of dosing....because any bacteria you add that the coral are not used to will negatively affect them as they are relying on the meds to remove the bacteria instead of growing a natural immunity to it.

Baths allow the corals to get a break from the bad bacteria or overload of bacteria in our tanks and regain strength to fight off said bacteria eventually.

If you dose a reef tank daily with meds you are no longer keeping a reef tank but you are now keeping a hospital tank.

Same could be said for any additive but meds are a little different than ab+ or reef frenzy.

At the end of the day do what makes you feel good for your corals and tank but be ready to continue adding meds long term because the moment you stop is the moment your tank will go through a stage where it is adjusting back to whatever bacteria is introduced, which will most likely lead to bj again.

Belive it or not this happens a lot now with vendors who get coral in and cipro them for 2 months and then ship them to someone buying them and then the coral dies in their tank from BJ and they don't know why....the coral literally went from a hospital tank to our home tank and was bombarded by bacteria.

Don't mean to be a downer as cipro is amazing!
This is so incredibly helpful, thank you so so much for taking the time to write at length and explain with such thoughtfulness!! I hope that you will continue to help people like me to understand this dilemma… You have talked me out of it, thank you!! Small batches from now on. Do you recommend doing a Cipro treatment when you receive new Torches? How do you like to take proactive measures with dipping, etc.?
THX AGAIN!

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First you want to add the 500MG to 50 ML of water and dissolve. Then for your tank the math is as follows according to the statement above.

909 Liter x .125 divide by 10 = 11.36 ML

Basically just dose 12ML per night into your 240 gallon tank or every other night depending on what individuals above have said.
Super helpful, thank you for working this out for me!! Grateful for members like you ;)

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is so incredibly helpful, thank you so so much for taking the time to write at length and explain with such thoughtfulness!! I hope that you will continue to help people like me to understand this dilemma… You have talked me out of it, thank you!! Small batches from now on. Do you recommend doing a Cipro treatment when you receive new Torches? How do you like to take proactive measures with dipping, etc.?
THX AGAIN!
You're very welcome and I do absolutely %100 give all new torches baths before introduced into the tank.

This is just what I do...

I first acclimate the new corals with my tank water and keep all of that for the bath. I try to end up with at least 1 gallon of water after acclimating to use for the bath.

While the coral is acclimating I make a small solution of all the medications with 2 cups of tank water.

I use what people call the KFC dip which was first given to me by Ryan Chummingham almost 3 years ago now. He has some amazing reef tanks and if you haven't heard of him check him out on Instagram under chumminghamreef.

500mg cipro crushed up
3 scoops chemiclean
10ml restore
10ml amino acid
10ml Witch hazel
2 full droppers of lugols iodine

If you don't have all of those just use the cipro and chemiclean as those are for bacteria specifically.

The rest help regrow flesh and overall health and are just bonuses.

If I am dipping for pests that a whole different situation....

I dip for pests first and then start a bath for the other stuff.

HVRK23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did the in tank treatment recently. Great results. Polyp extension is great now. Saved my torches, hammers and lps overall. During the course I lost a head of pink octospwan. But given that I saved almost 50 heads of all together. This method I would say as life saver for any Reefer.

I didn't have any ill effects. My parameters were good. Nutrients stayed in level. No issues with good bacteria loss. I still dosed after the course. Fishes stayed healthy.

I did dose every day for 6 days at night. Skimmer was ON but outlet drain was open so I don't skim out.

Overall felt happy with the in tank
treatment and learning something new.

Started doing bi weekly Water Changes now so I keep the acrobacter out of the colony and also dipping anything into the KFC method prior adding them to my tank.

Also while doing water changes, adding Brightwell clean, Microbactor 7 and half dose of recommended Melafix to keep the Acrobacter away. Did an ICP test and see no trace of Acrobacter. Will monitor and see how this goes.

Super helpful. I have used it as a bath but never tried the in tank treatment. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super helpful. I have used it as a bath but never tried the in tank treatment. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much, amazing step-by-step on all!! I am still learning and often the hard way, each and every bit of advice is helpful… I have bought some of these products along the way and haven’t quite known how to put them all together for maximum effect. Looking forward to Reefing like the big kids!! ;)

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're very welcome and I do absolutely %100 give all new torches baths before introduced into the tank.

This is just what I do...

I first acclimate the new corals with my tank water and keep all of that for the bath. I try to end up with at least 1 gallon of water after acclimating to use for the bath.

While the coral is acclimating I make a small solution of all the medications with 2 cups of tank water.

I use what people call the KFC dip which was first given to me by Ryan Chummingham almost 3 years ago now. He has some amazing reef tanks and if you haven't heard of him check him out on Instagram under chumminghamreef.

500mg cipro crushed up
3 scoops chemiclean
10ml restore
10ml amino acid
10ml Witch hazel
2 full droppers of lugols iodine

If you don't have all of those just use the cipro and chemiclean as those are for bacteria specifically.

The rest help regrow flesh and overall health and are just bonuses.

If I am dipping for pests that a whole different situation....

I dip for pests first and then start a bath for the other stuff.
Thank you so much, amazing step-by-step on all!! I am still learning and often the hard way, each and every bit of advice is helpful… I have bought some of these products along the way and haven’t quite known how to put them all together for maximum effect. Looking forward to Reefing like the big kids!!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this work on LPS recedings and SPS stn/rtn? Any updates on the reefers that had used success?

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update, I decided not to do in tank cipro… thanks so much, all, for walking me through this discussion! I have found fish Cipro to be a really helpful product, cheap and effective, and I have been doing baths as needed… Seems to stop necrosis and bacteria dead in its tracks.

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes MERKEY thanks to you

Attachments

• E248F8DE-ECE5-4BA7-96F3-6064E99AD06D.jpeg
    E248F8DE-ECE5-4BA7-96F3-6064E99AD06D.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 273

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back