In wall tank

C.Rayven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for those who have put their tank in wall: What did you do with the dry wall? Paint it? Cover it with something? Are their plastic like caps to put over it? How do I protect it from warping?

Also, the tank I’m planning will not have a fish room behind it. It’s going to be sort of peninsula style so it can be seen from the room beside where it will sit. Will this cause problems? Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance :)

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for those who have put their tank in wall: What did you do with the dry wall? Paint it? Cover it with something? Are their plastic like caps to put over it? How do I protect it from warping?

Also, the tank I’m planning will not have a fish room behind it. It’s going to be sort of peninsula style so it can be seen from the room beside where it will sit. Will this cause problems? Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance :)
So typically people just paint the drywall. Now, having said that, if humidity is going to be of a concern, you do have some other options.
An air exchange/vent should probably be installed. Venting any trapped moist air from the walls. If the humidity has access to the rest of the home, I'm guessing this shouldn't be an issue, but still it's safer to vent it outside. You can search around her for what other venting ideas others have done.
Another option you could explore would be to make the walls out of mold resistant drywall. The mold resistant drywall has a coating to help prevent mold and moisture buildup.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the wall facing the living area I just painted the drywall. However, within the opening and inside the fish room I replaced all the drywall with moisture-resistant drywall and installed FRP. The joints between the floor and the walls are caulked and sealed. I also installed an exhaust fan tied to a duostat controller.

OP
OP
C.Rayven

C.Rayven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for your replies and advice!

We found out last night that the wall we were going to try and use is a major load bearing wall- much to my disappointment.

JakesOceanView

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We found out last night that the wall we were going to try and use is a major load bearing wall- much to my disappointment.

I'm starting a build soon and flush mounting a tank in the wall next to the stairs. It will be visible from the stair side and the basement side. The wall is a major load bearing wall too. I had a 10' header placed in that wall during the home build. You can see it in the photos below.

basement blueprint.jpg basement fishtank framing location.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back