Indo Coral Ban Lifted?

IAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this on Facebook. With the coral ban being lifted, I wonder if some of the crazy prices on corals will come down?
60A63BDC-3D71-4C60-9FC7-78A4432F4C01.jpeg

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! Not so great for the wild coral but great for us!

Not entirely true. Yes if a collector is simply harvesting from the wild they might have a negative impact on a small area of the reef. However if you google "coral farming" you will see that at least some of the suppliers are collecting corals and them growing them out sustainably in the ocean. The later method has been shown to be a net gain for the surrounding reef as the corals grow well and then will naturally spawn. Also some of the examples I've seen are conservation efforts that then use the sale of coral to fund their efforts.

However their are those who would destroy the reef for profit. look on youtube for "chinese giant clam fishermen" to get your blood boiling.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think we would see something on the government level first if the ban was lifted. I wouldn’t expect this news to come through from an importer first like this.
I saw a post on IG recently about a new counsel being elected and initially signing the ban lift. It was posted by a Bali run mariculture co-op and cited a local government announcement.
So it seems to be legit.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screenshot is for a CITES license, which as I understand it, is not what is preventing export. The ministry is simply withholding health certs, which means no export.

@Neoalchemist -do you have a screenshot or source please? That would add some credibility to what looks like a whitehouse press briefing... :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back