Inexpensive controller with wifi...

Realypk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I already have a senye reef with webserver + wifi so I'm looking for a controller for lights and temperatures for the heaters with similar wifi capability. Are there very simple cheaper controlers that dont duplicate what my senye already does? Or in my case would you suggest just going with seperate heat controller and light controller ie bluefish type solutions?

Thanks!

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the ReefKeeper lite. I have the RKL Lite Plus and it is a great little controller.

OP
OP
R

Realypk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the ReefKeeper lite. I have the RKL Lite Plus and it is a great little controller.

Awesome, also being able control my powerheads/wavemaker type devices would be great. Does the device do that as well? Also how hard is it to use the RKL. The idea of having to program the APEX really turned me off to it as I'm not even close to expert on that sort of thing.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RKL is very easy to program, if you get it I can type out what to do or if you want I don’t mind even doing a FaceTime or Skype haha. Yes there is control for wave makers, I had mine set for them to cycle on and off between each other every 4 hours. Unfortunately a bulkhead on my tank leaked and a probe port got full of saltwater so not looking too great right now but I’m hoping it’ll pull through. When I plugged it back in today it still had its programming remembered but not sure if all the ports will work when I completely plug everything in. I want to give it another day to ensure it’s completely dry first

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NET still doesn't have wifi. The NET requires that you have some knowledge of port forwarding, static IP and ddns services to gain access from outside you local network.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raspberry pi would be the cheapest option, but it's a bit of diy and following others programming to get it to work.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could alway setup the Raspberry Pi to use VNC viewer and then you can gain access to it and use it to gain access to the NET module. I have a Raspberry Pi and I am able to gain access to it form anywhere and use it. You could just use it's web browser to connect to the NET module. The VNC viewer uses cloud access and there is no need to setup port forwarding etc. The Raspberry does require some setup to get it to run though.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ReefAngel Star is another inexpensive (relatively) alternative that can literally control/run anything you can dream up. Many people are turned off by the perception of "programming" it but there is a wizard that takes you through the process that really couldn't be much easier.

paulweck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a cheap reliable controller with the most out the box I would suggest a reefangel with with Wi-Fi module.

I have the reefangel, rke and apex. While the apex its the flagship controller the reef angel is a close second. I don't even use my Reefkeeper elite anymore. Its a good controller just not as good as the reef angel and apex. Now all 3 controllers are not the easiest to program but the amount of support I've found for the RA and apex are much better then the rke support.

All 3 options are good imo. It all depends on what you really what to control and your budget. Good luck with your choice.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a cheap reliable controller with the most out the box I would suggest a reefangel with with Wi-Fi module.

I have the reefangel, rke and apex. While the apex its the flagship controller the reef angel is a close second. I don't even use my Reefkeeper elite anymore. Its a good controller just not as good as the reef angel and apex. Now all 3 controllers are not the easiest to program but the amount of support I've found for the RA and apex are much better then the rke support.

All 3 options are good imo. It all depends on what you really what to control and your budget. Good luck with your choice.

The RA Star no longer needs a WiFi module. They cleaned up the head unit quite a bit with the Star as well.

paulweck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I like the ra star. Its been awhile since I've been to the forums. I didn't notice the new release. I still feel the support for the ra is second to none. There forums are great. Fortunately I haven't needed to go there for awhile because the RA just works always like it should. Very rarely do I have to reset the system. Its been going strong for 5 years now.

OP
OP
R

Realypk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef angel star does seem like a nice controller but their site is a bit confusing. What capabilities exactly do i get with the 399$ box? I see a lot of extra modules would i need to buy any of those if all i want to do is set up light control, wave/waterflow control and temperature control and be able to control those through my phone?

As far as pricing it is a bit pricey, the reef keeper light with net module still comes out significantly cheaper than RA star. Is the price difference justified for my purpose and in what way? How is phone app functionality for both?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef angel star does seem like a decent controller but their site is a bit confusing. What capabilities exactly do i get with the 399$ box? I see a lot of extra modules would i need to buy any of those if all i want to do is set up light control, wave/waterflow control and temperature control?

As far as pricing it is a bit pricey, the reef keeper light with net module still comes out significantly cheaper than RA star. Is the price difference justified for my purpose and in what way? How is phone app functionality for both?

No, it will do all of that out of the box. This shows what is included.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I like the ra star. Its been awhile since I've been to the forums. I didn't notice the new release. I still feel the support for the ra is second to none. There forums are great. Fortunately I haven't needed to go there for awhile because the RA just works always like it should. Very rarely do I have to reset the system. Its been going strong for 5 years now.

I've been running it for 19 months and purchased it used to begin with. I've never had to reset or restart it though I do update the script fairly often due to increasing dosing durations.

OP
OP
R

Realypk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it will do all of that out of the box. This shows what is included.

Wow it does seem like it does all I need and then some. The 16mhz processor makes me laugh a bit... They coulda easily dine better there. ;-)

paulweck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights do you have? It should be able to do everything you want right out the box. I look like alot of the modules were included in the new ra star.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back