Infestation of copepods / lots of particles in water? Worms? Video and Pictures included!

mell0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new saltwater tank that is approximately 11/2 months old. It is 55 gallons, but I have 60 lbs of sand and 75 lbs of live and dry rock. I started with a bunch of live rock from a LFS with coralline algae and hitchikers on it. I did a fishless cycle. Dosed Fritz Pro Ammonium Chloride and MicroBacter Start XLM. Ammonia went from 4 PPM (from dosing) to 0 a few weeks after initial tank setup, Nitrite spiked but went to 0, Nitrates went up to 20. I did this twice and was able to get 4 PPM ammonia to 0 in 24 hours. So full cycle. Did a decent water change 25% or so.

Current parameters:

Salinity: 1.026 SG
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-15

I have a colony of xenia that looks like it's twice the size it was when I first got it, and is thriving pulsing and having a good time.
I also have a large colony of GSP that is also out, fully extended and having a good time blowing in the current.
I also have 2 clownfish, a female and a male and they're fat and happy. I've had them about a week so far and I feed the frozen Reef Frenzy. Water parameters have remained consistent.

My biggest concerns right now are no longer the water parameters, but an infestation of copepods? (I think that's what they are? I attached a bunch of pictures) and the fact that the water.

First question being, are the copepods? Why are there so many? There's literally thousands and they cover the back wall, too. I wipe them from the front glass but they come back in an hour.

Second question, the water has a ton of particles in it. Not so noticeable under lower lighting but with full intensity there's particles EVERYWHERE. I think they're the same bugs but just floating through the water column. Is this bad?

I run ChemiPure Blue and Polyfil and Purigen and they do not go away, that's why I'm inclined to think they're the bugs I'm seeing on the glass. What do you think?

Last, but not least the worms.

Skip to :26 seconds in. Some of them look like they bit a hole through my GSP and are searching for stuff to eat. They retract right back into it. This is the only section of the GSP where I can see them (new growth area) but who knows. What are they? Are they bad?

Anyway, I'm super new to all of this and been somewhat concerned lately if these are good or bad signs, or just part of the ugly stage of my tank.

20200731_194434.jpg 20200731_153537.jpg 20200731_153532.jpg 20200731_153500.jpg

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a abundance of pods because there must not be a natural predator. Therefore their population took off. Also, what's that creepy tube that moves in the video? I cant say for sure, but it's interesting.

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new saltwater tank that is approximately 11/2 months old. It is 55 gallons, but I have 60 lbs of sand and 75 lbs of live and dry rock. I started with a bunch of live rock from a LFS with coralline algae and hitchikers on it. I did a fishless cycle. Dosed Fritz Pro Ammonium Chloride and MicroBacter Start XLM. Ammonia went from 4 PPM (from dosing) to 0 a few weeks after initial tank setup, Nitrite spiked but went to 0, Nitrates went up to 20. I did this twice and was able to get 4 PPM ammonia to 0 in 24 hours. So full cycle. Did a decent water change 25% or so.

Current parameters:

I have a colony of xenia that looks like it's twice the size it was when I first got it, and is thriving pulsing and having a good time.
I also have a large colony of GSP that is also out, fully extended and having a good time blowing in the current.
I also have 2 clownfish, a female and a male and they're fat and happy. I've had them about a week so far and I feed the frozen Reef Frenzy. Water parameters have remained consistent.

My biggest concerns right now are no longer the water parameters, but an infestation of copepods? (I think that's what they are? I attached a bunch of pictures) and the fact that the water.

First question being, are the copepods? Why are there so many? There's literally thousands and they cover the back wall, too. I wipe them from the front glass but they come back in an hour.

Second question, the water has a ton of particles in it. Not so noticeable under lower lighting but with full intensity there's particles EVERYWHERE. I think they're the same bugs but just floating through the water column. Is this bad?

I run ChemiPure Blue and Polyfil and Purigen and they do not go away, that's why I'm inclined to think they're the bugs I'm seeing on the glass. What do you think?

Skip to :26 seconds in. Some of them look like they bit a hole through my GSP and are searching for stuff to eat. They retract right back into it. This is the only section of the GSP where I can see them (new growth area) but who knows. What are they? Are they bad?

Anyway, I'm super new to all of this and been somewhat concerned lately if these are good or bad signs, or just part of the ugly stage of my tank.

20200731_194434.jpg 20200731_153537.jpg 20200731_153532.jpg 20200731_153500.jpg

Yes there copepods im surprised you have so many there good for tanks they help get rid of un eaten food. Ive never heard of them eating corals so you should be fine. Theres no such thing as too much i wish i had a mich as u. There are some fishes that eat them if you dont want as many

OP
OP
mell0w

mell0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a abundance of pods because there must not be a natural predator. Therefore their population took off. Also, what's that creepy tube that moves in the video? I cant say for sure, but it's interesting.

I think the tube is either crab poop or something on the live rock that broke off. It looks like the worms were trying to go after it so that's why it was moving. Are these worms parasites? Or just something like a spaghetti worm or something? Somewhat concerning lol

OP
OP
mell0w

mell0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are great if you're thinking about mandrins

I was thinking of a mandarin and was told by the store owner not to if my tank was new. Are these the food they would eat? They seem rather small but god dang if there isn't enough of them to feed a full sized human

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current parameters:

Pods are good. Get a 6 line wrasse to keep bad guys in check.
Copepods are very common in our tanks and world. They are the reason nyc water is not kosher, shellfish.
They are the reason humpback whales are less fertile in the Yucatan. Warming waters have stressed the copepods to have less fat, not enough calories for the whales build up fat reserves necessary to carry a pregnancy.
Cool bugs.

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the tube is either crab poop or something on the live rock that broke off. It looks like the worms were trying to go after it so that's why it was moving. Are these worms parasites? Or just something like a spaghetti worm or something? Somewhat concerning lol
The worms are concerning not the copepods i would get either a 6 line wrasse or a melanurus wrasse too eat them

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah don’t go for a mandarin yet. I had a similar explosion of pods early on in my tank. Even being started with dry rock and sand. They boomed for a month or two then must have starved out to a much less noticeable number.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of a mandarin and was told by the store owner not to if my tank was new. Are these the food they would eat? They seem rather small but god dang if there isn't enough of them to feed a full sized human
They are cool looking fish and you can get them, tank raised on mysis. This is better than relying on pods.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest getting a wrasse for pod and pest control. Six line can be aggressive to anything added after it, especially other wrasses, so I don't suggest you get one of those. A Melanurus wrasse could be good, as would flasher wrasses and fairy wrasse.

For more info on wrasses, check out the articles written by @evolved

Wrasses in general

Fairy wrasses

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah don’t go for a mandarin yet. I had a similar explosion of pods early on in my tank. Even being started with dry rock and sand. They boomed for a month or two then must have starved out to a much less noticeable number.
Yea same i had alot then they all disappeared seems like i have like 10

OP
OP
mell0w

mell0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worms are concerning not the copepods i would get either a 6 line wrasse or a melanurus wrasse too eat them

I did some googling and do you think this is what I'm dealing with?

1596253140229.png

1596253190945.png

That weird tube could be a broken off part of their base? The worm part looks exactly like these tentacle things they have

1596253237862.png

spionid worm

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't even worry about it, let alone take any action. It will correct itself as the tank matures - the pod population will crash and correct at some point.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the worms in the video are spaghetti worms eating crab or snail poo. They are harmless, and as you see they clean up detritus.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%

Back