Inherited 45 Gallon

Case4500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my grandfathers neighbor passed away last week. I didnt know him very well but I did enjoy the few conversations I had with him. While my grandfather was talking to his family, they mentioned the tank and that they didnt know what to do with it or how to take care of the fish. He told them I was coming over to see him that afternoon and he would ask me to look at it. I gave them some of the flakes that were there and they ate them pretty aggressively, I don't think they had been fed for a few days. His daughter offered it to me and I thanked her, but said no because I don't really have time or room for it. I told her that it was a pretty big investment to start a salt water aquarium and since they didn't want any money for it she could probably find someone to take it pretty easy. She then told me that she didn't have time to mess with it and would just flush the fish and throw the tank n the trash. So I brought it home.

I have kept a few freshwater tanks in the past but never salt water. The last few days have been spent researching saltwater aquariums and trying to identify all the inhabitants.
I believe I have a pair of clownfish(Not sure what kind), 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 blenny (maybe a lawnmower), 2 pajama cardinals (there was 3 but one died the morning after i set the tank up at my house), 1 BTA, 1 LTA, 1 Maxi mini with a sexy shrimp on it, and 3 corals but I haven't tried identifying them yet. Everything seems to be doing okay except for the LTA. It is not attached to anything, just laying on its side. It looks good though, opened up and tentacles extended and moving around in the current.

The tank has an external overflow with a 10 gallon sump, a skimmer in the sump but wasn't hooked up and I haven't messed with it, 2 current usa power heads, and a current usa led light.
I also got a smaller all in one tank about 10 gallons that was set up with sand and rock but no fish. Im assuming it was a quarantine tank. It has some algae and 2 hermit crabs in it. I have it running also.

I have been feeding twice a day prime reef flakes that came with everything. Today I gave both the BTA and LTA a small chunk of raw shrimp and they both seem to like it. The daughter found some "stuff" in the refrigerator that she thinks is fish food. I am going to go pick it up tomorrow.

I was originally planning of finding a new home for the whole tank as soon as I could, but it has really grown on me the last couple days.

Tomorrow when the lights come on I will take some pictures of the tank and try to get some good pictures of the fish and coral. I am also going to pick up some water test kits and salt.
Is there a lot of difference between salt brands? Used up the last of the salt that came with the tank doing a small water change today, It was Fritz RPM.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find these links helpful and anything else just ask. Oh and we need pictures! Lol

OP
OP
C

Case4500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i forgot to mention the 2 emerald crabs, about 10 hermit crabs, and about 5 small snails. This morning one of the emerald crabs was picking at the LTA which sill hasn't attached to anything. I moved the emerald to the sump for now. I think I read somewhere that a dead anemone can pollute the tank badly. I moved it to the quarantine tank just incase, but its already looking much better.

20210214_150921.jpg

Here are pictures of some of the fish and the corals. I would appreciate ay help identifying everything.

20210214_150637.jpg
20210214_150644.jpg
20210214_150647.jpg
20210214_150658.jpg
20210214_150704.jpg
20210214_150832.jpg

20210214_150628.jpg

Attachments

• 20210214_150627.jpg
    20210214_150627.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 18

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black snowflake clownfish and gladiator clownfish

ricordia coral

toadstool I think?

maybe carpet anemone

zoanthids

hope I helped!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back