Injured Harlequin

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was quarantining this Harlequin Tuskfish in a set up with three connected 29 gallon tanks run to one sump.

I was changing out water in it and sucking detritus off the bottom with a 1/2” hose when I startled the Tuskfish. This was about 5 days ago. He rocketed around the tank and hit at least one end hard. He hasn’t eaten since. Last knight I wondered if I moved him into a larger tank maybe he would be more comfortable thinking he was stressed by confinement. However looking at him today he appears to have an extended abdomen.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what I might do to help him.

I have had him for around 3 weeks and he had been reacting very well and was coming out and staying out when I fed. Had no signs of parasites, injury, or swimming problems before.

After the incident he hid, but I was seeing him come out from behind his rock when no one was close to the tank. Last 3 days he wasn’t coming out at all, I gently guided him out with the handle of a net and he appeared to swim normally, thought he might have a scrape on his scales on his left side but didn’t look bad.

Today he seems to be laying on his side. Breathing may be more than normal but doesn’t seem to be fully distressed or gasping. Fairly rhythmic but maybe a little too often not sure.

Thanks.

1216A645-91C0-4D42-843A-9C092CB24231.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was quarantining this Harlequin Tuskfish in a set up with three connected 29 gallon tanks run to one sump.

I was changing out water in it and sucking detritus off the bottom with a 1/2” hose when I startled the Tuskfish. This was about 5 days ago. He rocketed around the tank and hit at least one end hard. He hasn’t eaten since. Last knight I wondered if I moved him into a larger tank maybe he would be more comfortable thinking he was stressed by confinement. However looking at him today he appears to have an extended abdomen.

I have had him for around 3 weeks and he had been reacting very well and was coming out and staying out when I fed. Had no signs of parasites, injury, or swimming problems before.

After the incident he hid, but I was seeing him come out from behind his rock when no one was close to the tank. Last 3 days he wasn’t coming out at all, I gently guided him out with the handle of a net and he appeared to swim normally, thought he might have a scrape on his scales on his left side but didn’t look bad.

Today he seems to be laying on his side. Breathing may be more than normal but doesn’t seem to be fully distressed or gasping. Fairly rhythmic but maybe a little too often not sure.

Thanks.

Not only my favorite fish but is it attempting to eat at all?
If so, There may internal issue and I hope none nuerological from impact.
Is there sand in the quarantine system? The red stuff appears as Cyano bacteria and if so would suggest elevated nitrates and even ammonia levels.
Increase oxygen with an air stone and unless something sticks out such as scar, rash, bruising, open sore, cant come up with any treatment recommendations.
@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not only my favorite fish but is it attempting to eat at all?
If so, There may internal issue and I hope none nuerological from impact.
Is there sand in the quarantine system? The red stuff appears as Cyano bacteria and if so would suggest elevated nitrates and even ammonia levels.
Increase oxygen with an air stone and unless something sticks out such as scar, rash, bruising, open sore, cant come up with any treatment recommendations.
@Jay Hemdal
There was no sand in the QT. I moved him last night after feeding and shut down the lights. He is now in my fairly new 3XL900 that my angels are in. Was hoping he was just scared. Looks like his poop hole is extended. In pic you can see some white spots where it looks like the skin is stretched. I don’t think he is trying to eat at all. I thought some of the krill was disappearing and hoped it meant he was coming out to eat after I got away from the aquarium.

For a day and a half he seemed to be laying on his side. Then yesterday or day before he was hiding more upright and thought maybe getting better. But since he still wasn’t eating I moved him thinking at least I was doing something lol. It also appears he might have a bruise just behind his right pectoral fin.

One of my all time favorites as well. Have had crappy luck though. First one went carpet surfing one night and my wife woke me up said she heard something (lids on all tanks now). In the dark and really early am I thought all fish were accounted for. Figured out in the morning and it was too late. Lost second one when I didn’t QT a new fish and wiped out an entire tank, don’t do that anymore. Last one was when I added the two large angels to the 900 and over fed to compensate and avoid any new aggression causing a bacterial bloom and probably an ammonia spike. Saved everyone but a xanthrus angel and the harlequin. Found this Aussie and everything going great until I freaked him out.

Tank I moved him to does have cyano. Still maturing. 10/27 nitrates were at 10.5 and phosphates at .41.

Tomorrow is my maintenance day so probably going to start up a low dose of phosphate E and homemade no-pox just to stay ahead of the curve. Only have softies in the tank so haven’t been all that concerned with the phosphate number. Think it is probably leaching from some of the rock I moved over when I set up the tank.

Thanks, let me know if this gives you different ideas. I’m afraid he is just injured and hoping to figure how to keep him alive long enough to recover.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There was no sand in the QT. I moved him last night after feeding and shut down the lights. He is now in my fairly new 3XL900 that my angels are in. Was hoping he was just scared. Looks like his poop hole is extended. In pic you can see some white spots where it looks like the skin is stretched. I don’t think he is trying to eat at all. I thought some of the krill was disappearing and hoped it meant he was coming out to eat after I got away from the aquarium.

For a day and a half he seemed to be laying on his side. Then yesterday or day before he was hiding more upright and thought maybe getting better. But since he still wasn’t eating I moved him thinking at least I was doing something lol. It also appears he might have a bruise just behind his right pectoral fin.

One of my all time favorites as well. Have had crappy luck though. First one went carpet surfing one night and my wife woke me up said she heard something (lids on all tanks now). In the dark and really early am I thought all fish were accounted for. Figured out in the morning and it was too late. Lost second one when I didn’t QT a new fish and wiped out an entire tank, don’t do that anymore. Last one was when I added the two large angels to the 900 and over fed to compensate and avoid any new aggression causing a bacterial bloom and probably an ammonia spike. Saved everyone but a xanthrus angel and the harlequin. Found this Aussie and everything going great until I freaked him out.

Tank I moved him to does have cyano. Still maturing. 10/27 nitrates were at 10.5 and phosphates at .41.

Tomorrow is my maintenance day so probably going to start up a low dose of phosphate E and homemade no-pox just to stay ahead of the curve. Only have softies in the tank so haven’t been all that concerned with the phosphate number. Think it is probably leaching from some of the rock I moved over when I set up the tank.

Thanks, let me know if this gives you different ideas. I’m afraid he is just injured and hoping to figure how to keep him alive long enough to recover.
Thanks for a great description. the white spots may be sand but keep an eye on it to see if it falls off. As for poop hole, it is rectal prolapse which is often caused by constipation and in many cases will correct itself but you may be able to help with feeding brine shrimp and vitamins which acts as a laxative and also dose the system with kanaplex to prevent potential infection of the tube until it retracts.
Monitor ammonia levels and assure good water quality while fish heals

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for a great description. the white spots may be sand but keep an eye on it to see if it falls off. As for poop hole, it is rectal prolapse which is often caused by constipation and in many cases will correct itself but you may be able to help with feeding brine shrimp and vitamins which acts as a laxative and also dose the system with kanaplex to prevent potential infection of the tube until it retracts.
Thanks

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
He is swollen at his sphincter but not exposed, thinking constipation, but sink know if anything to do or just wait. The white pots are not sand, but in my observation, more exposed upper scales looking like skin is stretched. On the positive side, we were playing a game when my daughter looked over and said hey there is romance (based on harlequin, and this way I can say romance isn’t dead at our house lol. Of course we have had romance die at least three times )
He swam fairly calmly and smoothly across the tank front, then we went to look and he snuck back into the rocks, now laying on his side in about the same place I took the previous picture.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He is swollen at his sphincter but not exposed, thinking constipation, but sink know if anything to do or just wait. The white pots are not sand, but in my observation, more exposed upper scales looking like skin is stretched. On the positive side, we were playing a game when my daughter looked over and said hey there is romance (based on harlequin, and this way I can say romance isn’t dead at our house lol. Of course we have had romance die at least three times )
He swam fairly calmly and smoothly across the tank front, then we went to look and he snuck back into the rocks, now laying on his side in about the same place I took the previous picture.
Often laying on side is a trait of a wrasse and of stress. Keep white intensity down a little to keep fish relaxed and focus on getting it Brine shrimp and in a couple of days, Mysis. Also adding vitamins will help with stamina of fish

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Often laying on side is a trait of a wrasse and of stress. Keep white intensity down a little to keep fish relaxed and focus on getting it Brine shrimp and in a couple of days, Mysis. Also adding vitamins will help with stamina of fish
Thanks. I only have frozen foods. That tank gets PE mysis, mega marine angel, spirulina brine and brine. Plus I feed a small amount of krill for my snowflake and beta. Hopefully he eats soon. I’m gonna be really sad if he doesn’t come through. Not supposed to be a really hard to keep fish, but he seems to be hard for me.

I lost my wife’s broomtail a few months ago, probably due to over cleaning my XXL750 to harshly while fighting everything. Finally found a new one at WWC and it arrives Tuesday.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.

If you are certain that the fish was fine before hitting the tank wall and all this began afterwards, then that points to a physical injury. There isn't anything to be done for that other than give the fish supportive care; dim lights, no aggressive tankmates, clean water and try bits of food from time to time.

However, it's been my experience that cause and effect isn't always clear.

Have you treated it with anything yet?
Do you know where the fish was collected?

Harlequin tusks are very often collected with cyanide in the Philippines and even more frequently in Indonesia. This is right about the time when you will see mortality issues in those fish. In fact, tusks from Australia are so much hardier that some importers will call their "Australian" in order to sell them better. There are only two types of tusks I will buy; tank raised from Biota or direct from Cairns Marine in Australia.

I discuss this fish further in my article here:

Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This tusk in my opinion based on coloration is an Aussie. Hopefully WWC wouldn’t do that, and they list their origin and offer tusk from multiple sources so seems unlikely that they deceived me.

I had not treated with anything. I do respect your QT guidelines, but still observe all fish prior to starting any treatment regimens.

He hit the side of the tank so hard it actually scared me. Plus I think he went back and forth more than once. So might have hit the live rock I have in there as well.

Thanks for the reply. I will keep an eye on him and change my lights to my gentler program.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My harlequin tusk literally laid down on a rock - flat - in the middle of the tank - and didn't move for days. any time there is a change in tanks, etc - they can act like that

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My harlequin tusk literally laid down on a rock - flat - in the middle of the tank - and didn't move for days. any time there is a change in tanks, etc - they can act like that
yep - a typical trait of wrasse and hepatus blue tang

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tusk in my opinion based on coloration is an Aussie. Hopefully WWC wouldn’t do that, and they list their origin and offer tusk from multiple sources so seems unlikely that they deceived me.

I had not treated with anything. I do respect your QT guidelines, but still observe all fish prior to starting any treatment regimens.

He hit the side of the tank so hard it actually scared me. Plus I think he went back and forth more than once. So might have hit the live rock I have in there as well.

Thanks for the reply. I will keep an eye on him and change my lights to my gentler program.

WWC may have been lied to themselves, that is pretty common. You cannot determine origin on these based on coloration.

Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Jay Hemdal another question for you. My nitrates in my predator tank have spiked due to me not refilling my no-pox this week. I have noticed an increase in appetite with high feeding aggression. Not towards other tank mates, but my marbles cat shark is coming out and up to eat vs her normal approach to waiting for food to settle to the bottom.

I thought it was a healthy sign, but now wondering if higher nitrates are leading to a different issue. I am restarting the carbon dosing and a 50% water change to address and get back to where I was on 10/27. But wondering if I should see this behavior as a warning sign vs a positive in the future?

Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know that, as the Australian is supposed to be bluer with bluer tusks. Is this false?

I used to think that, but have since changed my opinion - larger tuskfish have bluer teeth, and Australia typical ships tusks at a larger size so they go by the name of "blue tooth tusks".

I discuss my changing opinion about that in the article I linked for you:

In some instances, aquarists will find this species offered for sale under the name “blue-toothed harlequin tuskfish”. This is normally meant to signify that the fish was collected in Australia. These fish tend to be larger, and are more colorful. In particular, the coloration of their teeth is deeper blue (although this may just be a function of their larger size).

Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used to think that, but have since changed my opinion - larger tuskfish have bluer teeth, and Australia typical ships tusks at a larger size so they go by the name of "blue tooth tusks".

In some instances, aquarists will find this species offered for sale under the name “blue-toothed harlequin tuskfish”. This is normally meant to signify that the fish was collected in Australia. These fish tend to be larger, and are more colorful. In particular, the coloration of their teeth is deeper blue (although this may just be a function of their larger size).

Jay
I hadn’t had the time to read your article but did. Nice write-up. Maybe the only difference is color, but this is my fourth. Two indo two Aussie according to supplier. This one is the largest by about 2” he is 6+. All the other 3 were around 4”. None juvenile as no eyespots. Both claiming to be Australian were darker twards their tail, and bue lines were more vivid. That of course doesn’t mean much, as I’m sure diet, actual age vs length, sex etc could factor in as well. So personal experience lead me to believe the prevailing narrative, but maybe it isn’t true.
Would hope that WWC is better than being duped by suppliers, as I find them to have access to rarer specimen. Have a broom tail arriving Tuesday. So happy as we lost our first one, and it was one of my wife’s fish.

Again thanks for your input and support of our R2R community.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
I can testify. Both varieties - if they bite you when trying to eat when you bring food - can hurt like crazy:). I went through this debate with a store-owner once. They had 2 fish one supposedly from one area - the other from another. If you really compared - they were practically identical. For the rest of the readers - I would not pay more for a harlequin from area x vs area y - UNLESS - there is some questionable collection procedures (cyanide, etc) taking place in one of the areas.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I can testify. Both varieties - if they bite you when trying to eat when you bring food - can hurt like crazy:). I went through this debate with a store-owner once. They had 2 fish one supposedly from one area - the other from another. If you really compared - they were practically identical. For the rest of the readers - I would not pay more for a harlequin from area x vs area y - UNLESS - there is some questionable collection procedures (cyanide, etc) taking place in one of the areas.
For appearance sake I believe you can make that statement. However if you read Jay’s article, and also what I have online. Spending more for a true Aussie (have to trust your source, and they have to trust theirs) there is a better chance of longevity as many Indo fish are still cyanide caught.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For appearance sake I believe you can make that statement. However if you read Jay’s article, and also what I have online. Spending more for a true Aussie (have to trust your source, and they have to trust theirs) there is a better chance of longevity as many Indo fish are still cyanide caught.
Yes - thanks - that was my point!!! The only problem (as was already said) - the color does not always tell the story.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back