Inkbird ITC-308 WiFi temperature controller now with a plastic sensor

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noobie here, and I'd been trying to decide whether to get the Inkbird with WiFi or the one with the plastic (saltwater-safe) probe because you couldn't have both (strangely enough). Then today on Amazon I see that there appears be a version with both now! I guess Inkbird has heard the reefing customer complaints. I'll need giving this one a try!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noobie here, and I'd been trying to decide whether to get the Inkbird with WiFi or the one with the plastic (saltwater-safe) probe because you couldn't have both (strangely enough). Then today on Amazon I see that there appears be a version with both now! I guess Inkbird has heard the reefing customer complaints. I'll need giving this one a try!
Be sure to post back your findings and review.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am supposed to have this exact model tomorrow. I am in the same boat in South Texas near the coast, its a lot like Florida weather. What fans do you plan to use to help keep things cool?

OP
OP
T

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend the ITC-306a . Has plastic probes, wifi, dual relay, and can control to .5F. best of the 3 inkbirds I have.
After double-checking the specs of the new ITC-308 that I just purchased, I believe the only difference is that it has one plastic probe instead of two, and outlets for heating and cooling instead of two outlets for heating. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I believe that is correct. I think (but don’t quote me on this) that they both have dual relays but they do different things. The 306 has one relay to turn on and off both sockets, and a second as a safety switch - it doesn’t have one per socket. The 308 has one relay for heating and one for cooling but no ‘safety’ relay.

I think the WiFi version of the 308 is fairly new, and the 308 WiFi with the plastic temp probe is even newer.

I went with the 308 WiFi and am currently waiting for it to arrive.

OP
OP
T

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am supposed to have this exact model tomorrow. I am in the same boat in South Texas near the coast, its a lot like Florida weather. What fans do you plan to use to help keep things cool?

I first tried one of the chinese cooling fans (link), and I confirmed that it did cool sufficiently, but it was a bit noisy. Thinking that a decent-quality computer fan would be much quieter, I recently purchased these ARCTIC P8 fans (link), which are German-engineered (but still made in China). My initial test run confirmed that they are indeed much quieter, so now I'm going to do a little DIY project to connect these to a controller.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this controller holding up for you? I’m about to pull the trigger on one.

OP
OP
T

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this controller holding up for you? I’m about to pull the trigger on one.
It works great, just as expected. My only minor complaint is that you cannot go tighter than +/-1 deg F, but that's not too big of a deal for me.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works great, just as expected. My only minor complaint is that you cannot go tighter than +/-1 deg F, but that's not too big of a deal for me.
Great! I just bought one.

INKBIRD_official

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I believe that is correct. I think (but don’t quote me on this) that they both have dual relays but they do different things. The 306 has one relay to turn on and off both sockets, and a second as a safety switch - it doesn’t have one per socket. The 308 has one relay for heating and one for cooling but no ‘safety’ relay.

I think the WiFi version of the 308 is fairly new, and the 308 WiFi with the plastic temp probe is even newer.

I went with the 308 WiFi and am currently waiting for it to arrive.
Does it work well for now?

INKBIRD_official

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Since you are here, the plastic probe should help keep it in calibration, correct? I have a standard ITC-308 on my fish only and I’m at -5.1. It seems to creep that direction about .2-.3 every few months.
Yes, the plastic probe will be better for aquarium, we recommend use silicone tubing to protect the connection between probe and cable.
protection.png

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the model for this heatting & cooling plastic probe? only ones i seem to find have the metal

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back