Innovative Marine 40 Fusion Build

spoonspider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some background: I grew up working with my dad with freshwater tanks, and had wanted a saltwater tank for a long time. About a year ago, I finally bit the bullet and invested in a basic 10 gallon set up. Just some live rock, a hang on back filter, and a power head. I was immediately hooked. I started off by adding some zoas and other basic corals, but no fish. I found the 10 gallon to be way too small for what I wanted, so I did the same basic set up, but on a 20 long.

20 long has been up for about 8 months now, but it was time to upgrade and get a better set up. I toyed with the idea of doing a DIY set up with a 40 breeder for quite some time, but after learning more about Innovative Marine's tanks, decided it was perfect. All in one with plenty of options to customize, and right within my budget.

On to the build.

Equipment:
Innovative Marine Nuvo 40 Fusion with stand
• Sicce Synchra Silent 2.0 Return Pump
• IM Hydrofill Ti ATO Pump and Controller
• InTank Media Basket with chaeto and sponge
• IM AUQA Gadget Magnafuge LED Refugium light
• SBReefLights Sbox Extreme 16" LED Light
• 35lbs live rock
• 30lbs Carribsea live reef sand mixed with Fiji Pink sand

Going with the basics for now, but I do have a Tunze 9004 skimmer and IM AUQA MiniMax reactor planned to be added a few months down the road. I do have some powerheads laying around just in case, but the return pump should be plenty!

Corals I currently have that will be moved over once the cycle is done:
• Jason Fox Captain Jerk Palys
• Rasta zoas
• Pink zoas
• Bright orange palys
• Two other random zoas
• Red Hot Chili Pepper Montipora
• Neon Duncan's
• Neon green trumpets
• Pink/green frogspawn
• Pipe organ coral
• Red acans
• Orange acans

IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG

Made a mess with the sand trying to get it into all of the cracks and crevices of the caves, but once the water is clear, I'll update for a better picture of the rock work! 10lbs of the rock is still in my 20 gallon waiting to be moved.

IMG_2682.JPG

Filling up!

IMG_2692.JPG

All set up!

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
spoonspider

spoonspider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. Love the rimless look.

When you moving everything over to the new tank?

Thank you!

I'm moving about 10lbs of established rock in there, so probably another month before fish or corals just to let things stabilize.

OP
OP
spoonspider

spoonspider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer came in yesterday, and I set it all up. I ordered the Tunze 9004. Marine Depot packaged it perfectly, and thus far, I really like it. Was very easy to set up, and get going, and already saw some skimmate as of this morning. I really like the controller, as well!

image1 (3).JPG image4.JPG

The Tunze 9004 only fits in one of the media chambers on the IM 40 Fusions, so as of now, one chamber is being used for the skimmer, and the other for the refugium where there's an inTank media basket. A ball of chaeto is in the center compartment, and below that is a bag of ChemiPure Blue.

I also moved over most of my corals, with the only one still waiting to be moved over being the montipora, and added two clowns, a Frostbite and Black Ice, as well as most of my CUC.

image3.JPG image2 (1).JPG

Everything seems to be going really well thus far. All that's really left to do in the tank is to order and add the media reactor, and let things grow. I still can't get over the beauty and simplicity of this tank!

Current live stock:

Fish:
  • 8 Astrea snails
  • 3 Trochus snails
  • 5 Nassarius snails
  • 3 Cerith snails
  • 5 Blue leg hermits
  • 8 Red leg hermits
  • 1 Frostbite Ocellaris Clownfish
  • 1 Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish
Corals:
  • Jason Fox Captain Jerk paly's
  • Rasta zoas
  • Pink zoas
  • Bright orange paly's
  • Green/yellow zoas
  • Neon green duncans
  • Neon green trumpets
  • Red acans
  • Orange acans

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great so far! Super jealous of those clowns!

OP
OP
spoonspider

spoonspider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on that Tunze, that thing skims! I couldn't be more impressed by it, and it's extremely quiet too.

Unfortunately, due to Hurricane Irma, I was unable to get my livestock in that I had ordered, but hopefully will be adding either a yellow head or blue spot jaw fish to the tank in the next few weeks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back