Innovative Marine Lagoon 25

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

The reef itch really hit me hard and after starting a 13.5 reef after 2 months its been torn down and moved into a lagoon 25.

Current Stocking List -
1x Midas Blenny
5x Margarita Snails
2x Blue Legged Hermits
4x Astrea Snails
1x Snowflake Ocellaris
1x Wisconsin White Ocellaris

Coral -
Green Frogspawn
Blue Hammer
Green Zoas
BamBam Zoas
Pink Zipper Zoas
God of War Palys
ORA Pink Birdsnest
Alveopora

15 lbs dry rock
8 lbs live rock
20lbs live sand

nuvolagoon.jpg

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

The reef itch really hit me hard and after starting a 13.5 reef after 2 months its been torn down and moved into a lagoon 25.

Current Stocking List -
1x Midas Blenny
5x Margarita Snails
2x Blue Legged Hermits
4x Astrea Snails
1x Snowflake Ocellaris
1x Wisconsin White Ocellaris

Coral -
Green Frogspawn
Blue Hammer
Green Zoas
BamBam Zoas
Pink Zipper Zoas
God of War Palys
ORA Pink Birdsnest
Alveopora

15 lbs dry rock
8 lbs live rock
20lbs live sand

nuvolagoon.jpg
Stock Pump
Vortech MP10
AI Prime 16 HD
IceCap K1 Skimmer
Refugium with Reef Breeders LED
Eheim Jager Heater

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking setup, nice upgrade. Love the IM AIO’s.
Thanks man. The dimensions are what really sold me. A smaller space with a lot of wiggle room for rock/coral placement. The short tank also makes viewing top down super sick. The Evo13.5 was a little too cramped for my liking. Still a great AIO.

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: skimmer was giving me problems for the first week. 8 days later and its pulling NASTY brown skimmate. I'm satisfied.
Refugium is also going! Never grown chaeto before but from what I've read I'm going to get sick of harvesting it. Lol. Looking at possibly a juvenile melanarus wrasse for this system. I've heard that they eat you CUC, anyone have any experience with these guys?

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple melanarus wrasses in the past. They never seemed to bother CUC for me and in fact might eat bristle worms. Generally considered reef safe, but maybe if you had some tiny shrimp they might go after them. I had some small peppermint shrimp in there and there was never an issue.

Your bigger issue might be that they would eventually get too big for a 25 gallon tank. They can easily be 4-5" in size.

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple melanarus wrasses in the past. They never seemed to bother CUC for me and in fact might eat bristle worms. Generally considered reef safe, but maybe if you had some tiny shrimp they might go after them. I had some small peppermint shrimp in there and there was never an issue.

Your bigger issue might be that they would eventually get too big for a 25 gallon tank. They can easily be 4-5" in size.
Thanks for the info! I ended up getting one that’s about 2.5 inches long and he’s doing really well. The sleeping under the sand portion is a bit strange as he’s still on the LFS light schedule but he’s acclimating to my own. I have some peppermint shrimp he doesn’t mind but he keeps knocking over my corals that aren’t glued. Lol. He’s got quite the personality too. I’m only planning on keeping him in here for a year at absolute maximum, as I’m going to move up to a 60-75g when I get a new place.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: skimmer was giving me problems for the first week. 8 days later and its pulling NASTY brown skimmate. I'm satisfied.
Refugium is also going! Never grown chaeto before but from what I've read I'm going to get sick of harvesting it. Lol. Looking at possibly a juvenile melanarus wrasse for this system. I've heard that they eat you CUC, anyone have any experience with these guys?

Looking good, you're going to love that tank. The K1 skimmer is great once it breaks in, I am running them on two different tanks. Super easy to adjust.

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, cool tank. I'm trying to find one of those (or something similar) myself currently. And melanarus is a great wrasse overall - love the colors, they're pretty bold, peaceful, and get along with other tankmates. Just be careful about jumping - you might want a lid on the tank!

Randallh99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup with two clown and a Melanarus wrasse. My wrasse isn’t big and the fusion 25s actually have a ton of room to swim. I even have the same skimmer and used to run an mp10 but switched to a gyre for more flow. I like you’re equipment list but I think if you go SPS you’ll need more lighting. I’m running a Hydra 52.

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, you're going to love that tank. The K1 skimmer is great once it breaks in, I am running them on two different tanks. Super easy to adjust.
Took a couple weeks but the K1 is pulling skimmate like a champ! Loving the thing so far. I personally think the white looks cool in the back of the AIO although it does get dirty fast.

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, cool tank. I'm trying to find one of those (or something similar) myself currently. And melanarus is a great wrasse overall - love the colors, they're pretty bold, peaceful, and get along with other tankmates. Just be careful about jumping - you might want a lid on the tank!
I have a mesh lid! Came with the tank. The kit from BRS for this AIO was a decent deal. My wrasse jumped out the week I got him after I took the lid off to feed. Has been okay since then and hasn't tried again (fingers crossed).

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup with two clown and a Melanarus wrasse. My wrasse isn’t big and the fusion 25s actually have a ton of room to swim. I even have the same skimmer and used to run an mp10 but switched to a gyre for more flow. I like you’re equipment list but I think if you go SPS you’ll need more lighting. I’m running a Hydra 52.
All my dudes seem pretty happy! I agree, much more space than you'd think. I really like the control-ability and the design of the MP10 and I'm glad I dropped the coin. I'm new to reefing overall so SPS are still a bit daunting. My birdsnest frag has been doing really well. I actually just upgraded to a Hydra 32! I got the hard mount and the light sags a bit. Haven't found a good fix for this yet. My pops was suggesting maybe a piece of foam.

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - some new corals have been added
took advantage of the MA tax free weekend a bit ago and picked up some frags and a new light. From a prime to a Hydra 32. Loving it. Here is some photos of what I grabbed -

Hallie Berry Zoas, Jack-O-Lantern Lepto, Green Polyp Leather, a little Acan frag, a Splatter hammer and a nepthea.

My other corals are doing well, my frogspawn is splitting and growing a brand new head!
1AA078F7-E56D-4A84-AB0E-8EA31792FFB7.jpeg

666F8436-66BE-41CB-A896-81234B15C5F9.jpeg
89164387-9904-472C-818A-E4D14864FE25.jpeg
D9F7B7D3-7B86-4E69-A611-FCE743F6FB5A.jpeg
2A40DAFC-FB62-470D-A387-1B6FE61BF31F.jpeg

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the K1 is working good for you. I love how easy it is to adjust verses the kind you slide the height up and down to adjust.
Shame about the mount. Really wish these companies would make them more solid, especially for how much they cost. I just got a nice universal type mount from China for Noopsyche lights. It fits the hydra and is solid if your interested. I even have them extended out to about 15 inches and there is minimal sag. If your interested check out my build thread, I put up a picture of them the other day. They are like $40 and $20 shipping, just PM me if you want the site. They also have some other goodies cheap.

Also the new corals look nice and happy. Man your pictures are killer, really top notch.

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the K1 is working good for you. I love how easy it is to adjust verses the kind you slide the height up and down to adjust.
Shame about the mount. Really wish these companies would make them more solid, especially for how much they cost. I just got a nice universal type mount from China for Noopsyche lights. It fits the hydra and is solid if your interested. I even have them extended out to about 15 inches and there is minimal sag. If your interested check out my build thread, I put up a picture of them the other day. They are like $40 and $20 shipping, just PM me if you want the site. They also have some other goodies cheap.

Also the new corals look nice and happy. Man your pictures are killer, really top notch.
Yeah man, it's a great little skimmer. It does freak out easily lol.

I mean you'd figure paying the premium you do for an AI branded mount would be worth it but I haven't found that to be the case. Oh interesting, I'll shoot you a message. Those look slick. Good luck with the 80 :cool: wish I had the space.

Haha I'm definitely improving with the pics but they're still getting there. The DSLR is tough to use cause a nice macro lens does not go for cheap and mine doesn't do super well behind the glass. I grabbed a $20 waterproof phone case and was dunking the thing for an hour trying to keep steady lol.

OP
OP
smarthawk

smarthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick and sad update - my Midas Blenny somehow jumped through my screen lid at some point today. No idea how but right before bed I went to check on the tank and looked on the ground and found him as fish jerky. Super sad right now, on the verge of tears. I loved this dude so much. I was really thinking the lid was going to prevent a scenario like this
6C335165-881C-47B1-B913-D2D54286FDF0.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back