Innovative Nuvo 200 INT or EXT?

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering the possibility of buying an Innovative Marine 200 EVO tank/stand. Trying to decide between an INT and an EXT.

The main question I have about the EXT is how to get access to the drain plumbing since it's behind the tank and up against a wall. Is that an issue or am I overthinking it? It looks like the exterior overflow drain box adds about 3.5" to the overall depth of the tank (The tank needs to sit at least 3.5" away from the wall). Is that the correct dimension? If you have an EXT how far away from the wall is your tank situated?

Since the tank is 30" deep + the 3.5" I'm assuming overall the tank will project at least 34" from the wall? I'm comparing it to a Waterbox 230.6 which is 26" deep and has an internal overflow/drain so it would project only about 27" into the room.

Dimensions aside, what are some other pros/cons of the INT vs EXT? Obviously the EXT provides more usable square footage of living space and I prefer the wide spacing of the returns with the EXT as opposed to the single center return on the INT.

What else?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You raise some valid concerns about the EXT version; plus salt creep onto your wall, and possibly water splashing down the wall at cleaning time, etc. When I think of an All-In-One I think of an “ALL” in one... meaning an INT. :)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same concern. I went with the peninsula version and put it against the wall. One thing that I find hilarious is that people put unions on their overflows and then push them against the wall... so like how are you going to access that union once there is water in the tank? Silly. Here is a link to my build thread that shows how I handled this issue.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same concern. I went with the peninsula version and put it against the wall. One thing that I find hilarious is that people put unions on their overflows and then push them against the wall... so like how are you going to access that union once there is water in the tank? Silly. Here is a link to my build thread that shows how I handled this issue.

Here is a photo, tight against the wall in an 150 year old farm house.

20210903_035041 (1).jpg

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like large internal overflows. They seem kind of outdated, distract from a clean internal appearance, and waste space. I prefer and actually need my tank spaced away from the wall because I use MP40s on the back. And my light hanger comes up the back. So I use an external.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like large internal overflows. They seem kind of outdated, distract from a clean internal appearance, and waste space. I prefer and actually need my tank spaced away from the wall because I use MP40s on the back. And my light hanger comes up the back. So I use an external.
These are all great reasons to go external and have some space to work with behind the back of the tank.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with INT peninsula 200 only because of space issue. I don't have room for the ext. In an ideal world, I would take the EXT over the INT.

- more internal dimension for aquascaping and corals
- coast to coast overflow becomes a detritus trap
- possible to mount wavemakers on back of tank

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the EXT 200 peninsula. Love it. The overflow is much easier to access.

Yes, you do need some place behind the tank for access etc, but I have vortechs there and would have needed most of that space anyways. I had upgraded from a 125g internal overflow, and the external just has such a cleaner look and gives you extra room.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back