Insane looking hitchhiker please help ID

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on my frag of green nepthea/sinularia whatever it is, I noticed at the edge of the frag plug a dark brown/black swirl that literally looks like soft serve ice cream or a cartoon poop. I thought that's what it was, maybe my clowns feces stuck to the plug or a dead worm or something. However, I just watched it grab some expelled waste from my coral and eat it/pull it into the top opening of the poop. Sorry I can't take a picture because its so small and my iPhone blows for taking in tank pics. Anyone know what this swirl like poop color thing is??? Thank you

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tube snail or peanut worm?
Here's a site that may help you out picked it up surfing different sites.

LionfishLair.com - Hitchhiker Guide to your Aquarium

Thanks man, I think from what I've read it's a vermitid snail. It had a weblike string coming from the top of it. Right now I just tried to pull the whole thing clean off with tweezers but I ended up cracking it a bit and only getting a partial amount of it in my net to remove from the water. Do you know if vermitid snails can regenerate If not completely removed?

Thank you in advance

vicviper15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never come across one so I can't be to sure. Surely someone with more experience will jump in at some point. Though from the site Vermitid Snail's arent any problem to your tank.

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never come across one so I can't be to sure. Surely someone with more experience will jump in at some point. Though from the site Vermitid Snail's arent any problem to your tank.

Thanks brother, and yes I saw that on the site but reading a few other articles and some personal experiences some people say that they can proliferate extremely rapidly and also I was noticing my nepthea/sinularia was closing up on the side where that things stringy mess was. So I think I did the right thing, I just hope that 15 of them don't pop up now that I mashed that guy on accident.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to kill vermetid snails, you'll need to remove the whole thing, not just the protrusion that grows outward. The base can be pretty hard- I just grab them with pliers and give them a squeeze. You can also stick a toothpick into the hole and wiggle it around a little bit, that usually takes care of them. Some people like them, but they can spread and become a pain.

OP
OP
I

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to kill vermetid snails, you'll need to remove the whole thing, not just the protrusion that grows outward. The base can be pretty hard- I just grab them with pliers and give them a squeeze. You can also stick a toothpick into the hole and wiggle it around a little bit, that usually takes care of them. Some people like them, but they can spread and become a pain.

Thanks man I will definitely attempt your toothpick method if more pop up. I'm sure they will considering I think I definitely didn't grab the whole thing. I knocked it off from where it was and crushed it but I believe some of it fell into the rock work. Thanks again

Back