Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

coralfish12g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I recently got the chance to see inside this abandoned aquarium in New Jersey. I've heard from so many people that it used to be an amazing store. Sad to see it go :(

I made a video about it and some of the challenges that local fish stores face. Take a look

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda sad to see Tropiquarium like that, because they were a massive part of the NJ reef scene for a very long time. When everyone else had 40 breeders with a few cookie cutter corals in them, Trop was one of the first in the area to have massive coral vats with the higher end and more exotic stuff. The two large corner display tanks where you enter the fish room (you can see them in the video) used to be straight up AMAZING. They had a similar setup at their previous location (they moved to the spot in the video about a decade prior to closing), but the display tanks seen in the video were really on another level. They were also one of the few places that had pretty much everything in stock from any dry goods you can think of to high end $10K furniture grade aquarium setups.

It's also worth pointing out that Aquarium Service Center is a great store as well. They moved into a spot practically across the street from Trop about 5-6 years ago and took over an existing reef store called Reefs 2 Reptiles. Both have/had great quality livestock, but ASC really took it to another level. I've moved a couple hours south of this area a few years ago, but watching this brought back some great memories. Great job on the video and thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video - an the message is strong too.
I 100% agree on the local fish store. I would venture a guess that nearly every saltwater enthusiast/hobbyist got their start at a local store, making the LFS one of the most valuable resources this hobby has

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back