Installing a flush valve on your RO Membrane | BRStv How-To

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I have never used a flush valve but now that I know what it is and what it does I will get one installed!

VbReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Thanks. Going to flush mine as soon as its done filling my fresh holding tank(44g brute with float) New to RODI and have only been flushing for like a minute max

Can you detail the auto-flush as well?

DiscusZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Flushing your membrane periodically can really extend the life of your membrane's effectiveness! Today, I'll show you how to get one installed on your RODI unit! :)

Awewsome. for those of us who love automation. I used my Apex, I have 2 solenoids one on the main supply, and one for flushing. In my 45g storage container I have float switches attached to my apex. When production starts Main turns on, and so does flush runs for about a minute, then flush turns off and production starts I run a 100gpd system so halfway through my apex automatically does another flush for about 30 secs. then off and production resumes.

Works flawlessless I have been doing it this way for about 6 months and I am still running 0 TDS, and my DI resin has barely changed colors.

Jim

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RO membrane that has been in use now for over 2 years and it still gets >99.5% rejection (TDS on inlet is ~375 ppm and TDS on outlet is 1ppm or less). This is a SpectraPure standard RO membrane and not their certified 99% membrane. Here is what I do:
  1. I feed soften water to the membrane.

2. I flush after every use by feeding RO water back into the feed line until the product outlet reads zero ppm.

3. I also flush every 12-24 hrs for 1 minute using RO water for 3 days after each use.

I'm also using the GE ROSAVE.Z Depth Sediment filter from BRS. And I use two BRS Universal Carbon Block 1 micron filters in series up stream of the RO membrane. By flushing until zero TDS and repeating every 12-24 hrs, my theory is that any residual chlorine that may permeate into the membrane walls gets drawn out and swept out. Using soften water virtually prevents any mineral deposits that cause clogging and successive RO rinses doubles down on this.

My product TDS is so low, I don't even bother with the DI resin any more.​

neupane00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is there something like auto flush ? i turn on my flush valve periodically. would be great if there was auto flush option

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just bought a secondhand RO filter and I don't really understand how it works I have filtered water going into the RO section and there is the outlet pipe with RO water for using and on the other outlet pipe is the valve and waste water comes through it when open but if you close it no water comes out of it. Is that right and if so when is it flushing the RO filter?
Many thanks for any answers, Martin.

TheSeaAndMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the smart buddie booster pump on my ro/di, it does an automatic flush every time it's activated. I have multiple tanks and make a lot of water and haven't had to change membranes for over a year and a half now.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just bought a secondhand RO filter and I don't really understand how it works I have filtered water going into the RO section and there is the outlet pipe with RO water for using and on the other outlet pipe is the valve and waste water comes through it when open but if you close it no water comes out of it. Is that right and if so when is it flushing the RO filter?
Many thanks for any answers, Martin.

Hmmm... It sounds like something may not be hooked up correctly. We can definitely help you troubleshoot the plumbing on your system if you would like to give our CS a quick call at 763-432-9691. Any one of them can walk you through the plumbing and get you back on track! You can also send them photos at [email protected] which can really help them see where there may be issues. :)

Thanks!

-Randy

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... It sounds like something may not be hooked up correctly. We can definitely help you troubleshoot the plumbing on your system if you would like to give our CS a quick call at 763-432-9691. Any one of them can walk you through the plumbing and get you back on track! You can also send them photos at [email protected] which can really help them see where there may be issues. :)

Thanks!

-Randy

Hi Randy and thanks for reply, I've managed to find the instructions for my RO filter online and you were right, there was a pipe on wrong its now sorted and I understand it a lot more now and I've fitted inline TDS meter as well and all is good. Water in is 89 and out is 0 TDS. Next is fitting a second RO filter to reduce waste water. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy and thanks for reply, I've managed to find the instructions for my RO filter online and you were right, there was a pipe on wrong its now sorted and I understand it a lot more now and I've fitted inline TDS meter as well and all is good. Water in is 89 and out is 0 TDS. Next is fitting a second RO filter to reduce waste water. Thanks for your help.

That's great news! :)

-Randy

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back