Installing Bulkhead Tips

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hayward bulkheads, there supper strong . I tighten them down with two pairs of channel locks. Never had a drop of water and Im using three hammerhead pumps

Bullitt3478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am installing bulk heads, tank is three months old and the previous owner had a gasket on flange and glass sides. Are both gaskets needed? I have one that keeps dripping ever so slightly and can't get it to stop. Surfaces look good on gaskets and flanges. These bulkheads are going in the bottom of the tank where the corner overflow box had been cut out. So they are permanent and can't be tinkered with without draining 80 gallons of water onto the floor....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The inside gasket is the most important. Mine has double and I had to Tighten the daylights out of it. The other has a single on the inside and only needed to be snugged.
I am installing bulk heads, tank is three months old and the previous owner had a gasket on flange and glass sides. Are both gaskets needed? I have one that keeps dripping ever so slightly and can't get it to stop. Surfaces look good on gaskets and flanges. These bulkheads are going in the bottom of the tank where the corner overflow box had been cut out. So they are permanent and can't be tinkered with without draining 80 gallons of water onto the floor....

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need a gasket on the flange side of the bulkhead, regardless of if the flange is on the wet side or the dry side, it always goes against the flange not the nut. Only one gasket is required and I would not add the second as it could hinder tightening the jamb nut properly.

Its not inside and outside as a bulkhead can be installed either direction depending on the application. It is flange side and nut side and the gasket always goes against the flange side even if you install the nut inside the sump or tank and the flange on the outside.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need a gasket on the flange side of the bulkhead, regardless of if the flange is on the wet side or the dry side, it always goes against the flange not the nut. Only one gasket is required and I would not add the second as it could hinder tightening the jamb nut properly.

Its not inside and outside as a bulkhead can be installed either direction depending on the application. It is flange side and nut side and the gasket always goes against the flange side even if you install the nut inside the sump or tank and the flange on the outside.

Agreed. I dont know that I worded it as well as you did.

In addition, a gasket on the nut side makes it more difficult to tighten the nut because of increased friction.

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like a bolt, the nut screws on and the flange is the flat surface under the head of the bolt. With a bulkhead, the gasket is always on the flat or flanged surface, never on the screw on or nut surface.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like a bolt, the nut screws on and the flange is the flat surface under the head of the bolt. With a bulkhead, the gasket is always on the flat or flanged surface, never on the screw on or nut surface.
Correct. You dont want the nut spinning against the gasket. You want the gasked squeezed betewwn the flange and tank glass.

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dual overflows so 2- 3/4 inch bulkheads and 2- 1 inch bulkheads. They are thread on bulkhead side and slip out to the sump. I'm using 4 of these fitting to screw into the bulkhead. Not this brand but same fitting: http://www.amazon.com/Genova-Products-30407CP-4-Inch-Adapter/dp/B000BQNEI8

Now the 2 3/4 inch fitting screw all the way into the bulkhead dry but the 2 1 inch fittings do not. Do you think after adding the thread sealant to the threads it may act as a lubricant and the PVC fitting will then screw all the way in? Or should i be concerned if it doesn't? Right now i can screw it in about 3/4 of the way.

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC male adapters have a tapered pipe thread so get tighter as they screw in further. If the 3/4" screw all the way in without any force or assistance I would be concered about a good seal, they should tighten up and not bottom out. Sounds like the 1" are a good fit though.
The LaCo will make the fittings screw in easier while providing a good seal. Make sure to clean out the threads real well so it does not scoop the sealant out as the thread them on.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great thread!

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC male adapters have a tapered pipe thread so get tighter as they screw in further. If the 3/4" screw all the way in without any force or assistance I would be concered about a good seal, they should tighten up and not bottom out. Sounds like the 1" are a good fit though.
The LaCo will make the fittings screw in easier while providing a good seal. Make sure to clean out the threads real well so it does not scoop the sealant out as the thread them on.

Any tips on the best way to clean out the threads? And yes the 3/4 fittings do screw in fairly easy.

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first couple posts in this thread talk about how to clean up the threads and smooth off the flat gasketed surfaces so they seal well.

no fish anywhere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been six years and you are still helping people in this thread. Thats awesome. I am building a paludarium with an overflow box at the bottom of the tank because the water level will be only 5-6 inches deep. The bulkhead i need to install will go through this set of materials...

Internal overflow box : tank glass : spacer/gasket : external overflow box

The internal overflow box requires that the bulkheads flange be inside itself. The external overflow box is so low that it hangs below the tank itself and therefore needs some type of spacer or gasket to ovoid it from sitting crooked against the black trim at the bottom of the tank.

My question is where do i need to put my gaskets so that i can avoid leaks? I have labeled the locations in red numbers and #3 is where a gasket/spacer is required.

apzE0hN.png

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been six years and you are still helping people in this thread. Thats awesome. I am building a paludarium with an overflow box at the bottom of the tank because the water level will be only 5-6 inches deep. The bulkhead i need to install will go through this set of materials...

The internal overflow box requires that the bulkheads flange be inside itself. The external overflow box is so low that it hangs below the tank itself and therefore needs some type of spacer or gasket to ovoid it from sitting crooked against the black trim at the bottom of the tank.

My question is where do i need to put my gaskets so that i can avoid leaks? I have labeled the locations in red numbers and #3 is where a gasket/spacer is required.

apzE0hN.png
Anywhere you have water against the bulkhead. So, 1 and 4.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

apzE0hN.png
The way I am looking at it is there is water in 1-2 and 4 then you would need a bulkhead gasket in those areas having pressure against the gaskets. You would also need a space were 3 is so the in no stress on the tank glass and what ever 4 is made out of. the spacer would also help with be able to put tension/pressure when you tighten down the bulkhead nut.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ABS bulk heads from BRS they are slip fittings. What kind of glue do I use to glue in my pvc pipe the goes to my return pump? Is there and ABS to PVC glue you would recommend?

no fish anywhere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help guys. I have redesigned plans for the external glass box to avoid it hanging below the tanks trim. With your comments i assume i will therefore need a gasket at locations 1, 2 and 4. Is this correct?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back