Installing Bulkhead Tips

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by AZDesertRat, Jan 10, 2010.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

As I mention many times in this thread, I do not and will not use slip bulkheads. I have seen far too many of them cut apart and thrown away.

As redfish mentioned though, if the slip is on the inside you should not glue the standpipe or fitting in as it will need occasional disassembly and cleaning. If it is external, and slip is what you have and your only choice, not mine though, then do glue a union somewhere close. If you ever have to remove it it will still require cutting apart but you can disassemble it.
    I would find thread by thread bulkheads if it were my tank so you can unscrew any fittings in the future and not have to waste a bulkhead.

Silicone does not permanently adhere to plastic or glass and the seal can be easily broken. I would remove it and take the time to investigate why it was dripping and do a proper fix. It's usually some excess plastic in the threads or the flat flange surface that needs filing or sanding smooth.

metrokat likes this.
  2. metrokat

metrokat High Heeled Reefer

Thanks AZ

3. mrvn

mrvn Well-Known Member

How tight do the bulkheads need to be? I'm setting up a reef ready 60 gallon tank and I'm not sure if I need to use a wrench or only do it by hand

4. tom reilly

tom reilly Well-Known Member

Gasket and flange in the box. Silicone between box and tank. Do not over tighten.

5. cromag08

cromag08 anemone whisperer & acrylic/wood expert R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Partner Member Article Contributor

Never use silicone with bulkheads.

6. funkyrxman

funkyrxman Member

One of my overflows has a second bulkhead in it that was originally put in as a dry pvc pass through for cords. It has a 2" thread on the outside (bottom). I wanted to cut the dry pvc pipe in the overflow and put an elbow on the outside thread to use as a backup overflow to safely restrict overflow drain to reduce noise. No way to plumb to that outside thread on the bulkhead for a super short run of pvc?

7. AZDesertRat

The outside threads on a bulkhead are not NPT tapered pipe threads. Even if you could find something to fit over the outside it would leak since it is the tapered surfaces that seal as you tighten them up. Bulkheads are designed to use only the interior threads or slip/socket.

8. Dave1045

Dave1045 Active Member

With a 1" Bulkhead and overflow- roughly how many gallons per hour can it support in siphon- to the sump?

9. esquare

esquare Member

AZDesertRat, i just got a stick of the plasto joint stick. I checked the SDS and it says it is a skin irritant, is this reef safe?

10. AZDesertRat

It does not carry a NSF label but I have never heard of any problems using it. More than likely it has not been subjected to the very expensive and time consuming certification process. Doesn't mean it isn't safe though.
    LaCo has another product called Pipetite that does carry a NSF label if that is a concern to you though. It is more of a general purpose thread lubricant versus the Plasto Joint which is specifically for plastic threads. Not much difference though.

11. esquare

esquare Member

Thank you, I appreciate it.

12. fragit

fragit Well-Known Member

@AZDesertRat, I need some help STAT! Just went down to my sump for something (diy 40 breeder). It's been running fine no leaks since last August(almost a year). My bulkhead is all of a sudden leaking. What should I do? I tried reseating it which did not work. I cleaned all surfaces and made sure they were dry. I don't have another one and will have to order one. Best thing I could come up with for a quick fix is to use some aquarium silicone and seal the outside. Do bulkheads suddenly fail often? Any guesses on how long my fix will last? What would your recommendations be?