Installing Bulkhead Tips

Discussion in 'Equipment, Lighting, Hardware, Aquarium Filtration' started by AZDesertRat, Jan 10, 2010.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

As I mention many times in this thread, I do not and will not use slip bulkheads. I have seen far too many of them cut apart and thrown away.

As redfish mentioned though, if the slip is on the inside you should not glue the standpipe or fitting in as it will need occasional disassembly and cleaning. If it is external, and slip is what you have and your only choice, not mine though, then do glue a union somewhere close. If you ever have to remove it it will still require cutting apart but you can disassemble it.
    I would find thread by thread bulkheads if it were my tank so you can unscrew any fittings in the future and not have to waste a bulkhead.

Silicone does not permanently adhere to plastic or glass and the seal can be easily broken. I would remove it and take the time to investigate why it was dripping and do a proper fix. It's usually some excess plastic in the threads or the flat flange surface that needs filing or sanding smooth.

metrokat likes this.
  2. metrokat

metrokat High Heeled Reefer R2R Supporter

Thanks AZ

3. mrvn

mrvn Well-Known Member

How tight do the bulkheads need to be? I'm setting up a reef ready 60 gallon tank and I'm not sure if I need to use a wrench or only do it by hand

4. tom reilly

tom reilly Well-Known Member

Gasket and flange in the box. Silicone between box and tank. Do not over tighten.

5. cromag08

cromag08 anemone whisperer & acrylic/wood expert R2R Supporter Gold Sponsors Article Contributor Partner Member

Never use silicone with bulkheads.

6. funkyrxman

funkyrxman Member

One of my overflows has a second bulkhead in it that was originally put in as a dry pvc pass through for cords. It has a 2" thread on the outside (bottom). I wanted to cut the dry pvc pipe in the overflow and put an elbow on the outside thread to use as a backup overflow to safely restrict overflow drain to reduce noise. No way to plumb to that outside thread on the bulkhead for a super short run of pvc?

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

The outside threads on a bulkhead are not NPT tapered pipe threads. Even if you could find something to fit over the outside it would leak since it is the tapered surfaces that seal as you tighten them up. Bulkheads are designed to use only the interior threads or slip/socket.