Installing Bulkhead Tips

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't correct. You need the gasket at 3 only, but I put them at 2 as well. The reasoning is that it gives the internal box a little stand off do that if the box isn't perfectly flat (almost impossible to achieve) it didn't create any stress points against the glass.

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place gaskets at 2 and 3 and 1 is optional. With 4 being the nut it will never seal.
The idea is to seal the water so it stays in the display and overflow boxes but does not seep out around the drilled hole in the display. You are sealing the boxes to the inside and outside of the glass.

Last edited:

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finishing up my plumbing and was wondering: my bulkheads and pipes, unions, and gate valve are coming straight out of my bulkhead and running straight down then connecting to flex hose that is running into the sump. Should I put some brackets or clamps on the plumbing or is the weight ok since it is al running straight down?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make it a practice to always use some type of support. At some point you are going to be crawled up into that stand, cleaning or moving something and bang that pipe with your head. You don't want all that shock being transferred to that bulkhead or your tank.

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make it a practice to always use some type of support. At some point you are going to be crawled up into that stand, cleaning or moving something and bang that pipe with your head. You don't want all that shock being transferred to that bulkhead or your tank.
Thanks

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is hanging vertically and the weight is pretty much centered and not to one side it should be fine. This is the way I have my overfow and return both plumbed myself and neither has been supported for 13 years with no leaks.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second gasket that comes with the kit must be used between the overflow box, and the tank. The first one goes behind the flange. As has been stated many time, a gasket never goes next to the nut no matter the bulkhead's orientation.

I'm from the camp that likes a film or silicon plumbers grease on the gasket, and a dab of Oatley Teflon paste on the pipe threads of theaded bulkheads.
Their directions say to put the second gasket inside the box so the box will be flush against the back of the glass. I'm installing one right now and am about to to a leak test.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finishing up my plumbing and was wondering: my bulkheads and pipes, unions, and gate valve are coming straight out of my bulkhead and running straight down then connecting to flex hose that is running into the sump. Should I put some brackets or clamps on the plumbing or is the weight ok since it is al running straight down?
I put pvc braces in a few places so unscrewing a union wouldn't put stress on any other piece of pipe. It really made a difference.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their directions say to put the second gasket inside the box so the box will be flush against the back of the glass. I'm installing one right now and am about to to a leak test.
Actually I'm wrong about this. The gaskets go on either side of the glass, not inside the overflow. I stand corrected.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I'm wrong about this. The gaskets go on either side of the glass, not inside the overflow. I stand corrected.

@glb , if I remember correctly you have a Glass-Holes, and this is correct. The first gasket goes up against the flange and the bulkhead is installed with the flange side on the outside of the tank. The second gasket is now slipped over the threaded portion inside the tank, and the overflow box is slipped over this.....so that this gasket is between the overflow box and the glass. The nut is then threaded on the bulkhead (inside the overflow box.)

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@glb , if I remember correctly you have a Glass-Holes, and this is correct. The first gasket goes up against the flange and the bulkhead is installed with the flange side on the outside of the tank. The second gasket is now slipped over the threaded portion inside the tank, and the overflow box is slipped over this.....so that this gasket is between the overflow box and the glass. The nut is then threaded on the bulkhead (inside the overflow box.)
I had a little leak and this is probably why. Time to take it off (again) to redo while it's empty. Thanks to my wet vac, at least the tank is easy to fill and drain.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I put the teflon lube everywhere, can I clean it off with vinegar?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A thin coat is fine....simply take a rag and wipe off as much as you can.....this will leave a very small amount on the rubber. I don't like soaking rubber in vinegar.

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use Teflon paste anywhere period. ALL PVC manufacturers discourage it's use for a reason and they are the experts. For the gaskets leave them dry so the vulcanize to the glass, Teflon inhibits this adhesion. The straight threads on the exterior should tighten just fine without anything on them.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use Teflon paste anywhere period. ALL PVC manufacturers discourage it's use for a reason and they are the experts. For the gaskets leave them dry so the vulcanize to the glass, Teflon inhibits this adhesion. The straight threads on the exterior should tighten just fine without anything on them.
What about with abs? Same as pvc?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's already on there per the directions that came with the kit. Can I just wipe it off?

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, in fact I would start over with dry fittings and gaskets. Lubes on the straight threads could lead to the jamb nut backing off with the slightest movement since it is slick. Lubes on the gaskets can preven them from adhering to the glass or flange which is one of the keys to them sealing so well. Personal preference I suppose but my preference is based on manufacturers reccomendations (not aftermarket vendors) and experience and not merely opinion.

SnoozieQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm plumbing my very first tank, so this may be a stupid question. On the slip side of the bulkhead is it OK to directly glue a piece of PVC pipe or is some kind of adapter needed?

I was then going to use a connecter so I can take apart the pipes for cleaning.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slip could be on either side of the bulkhead. If it's for the standpipe inside the overflow, I wouldn't glue it up. If it's outside the tank, I'd glue it up, and if you want to easily take it apart for cleaning, immediately glue on a union.

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the advice of some folks I siliconed my bulk heads to stop a very slow drip. This was my first ever plumbed tank. Is there any way to remove the bulkhead or it's pretty much stuck for life?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back