Installing Bulkhead Tips

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Does anyone know how a modular marine ghost overflow is plumbed with bulkheads between the internal and external parts. Seems to be defying the consensus stated in this thread yet people report to leaks. Is there 1 or 2 gaskets on the bulkheads that connect the internal and external boxes?

nobody?

Magoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....... I don’t know how many times I read put the gasket on the flange side.
....but I wasn’t paying attention and put it on the nut side inside the QT. Wrong. Just didn’t feel natural to put the gasket on the outside.

Of course worked great when I put it on the flange on the outside.
Easy fix for the QT before I started plumbing the DT.

If only I actually read the original post correctly. Regardless nice thread, thx.

Bruno516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AZDesertRat Thank you so much for the helpful information as always. Whenever I look at a forum post I always see your name and it has helped so much. Thanks for always producing quality content.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help!

So I have a overflow box and an external box (with which to install a bean animal drain)

The internal box is very slim which means the bulkhead (1.5” ABS) can only outside in- (but being inside the tank)

I know to put the gasket on the flange side which I did, but the bulkhead is definitely leaking. Originally there are 2 gaskets and I used both and then removed one- still leaking. I can only hand tighten (a little more with some help) so I doubt this is an over tightening problem.)

These bulkhead had been in use for a couple of years so perhaps the gaskets needed replaceing?

I also know that the plumbing is hanging off the overflow box a bit- I put in mounting brackets, but not sure how to make sure the bulkheads are not being pulled, any tips?

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out the bulkheads are 6 years old so getting new ones.. in the meantime any5ing I can do?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Found out the bulkheads are 6 years old so getting new ones.. in the meantime any5ing I can do?

I always make it a practice and this should work. Place AQUARIUM silicone on both sides and let it dry at LEAST 4 hours (or more and worth the wait). The silicone will act as a new gasket and seal it nicely and easy to scape off if removal is ever necessary

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
But the OP specifically says not to use silicone...

I A L W A Y S do. never had an issue. Make sure its aquarium sealant- Not silicone........Aqueon is the brand I use

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well after I install the new bulkheads if it doesn’t fix the leak I will use the sealant.

Here is another question- glassholes.com on their instructions has using gaskets in both the nut and flange side- is that what I should follow?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay well after I install the new bulkheads if it doesn’t fix the leak I will use the sealant.

Here is another question- glassholes.com on their instructions has using gaskets in both the nut and flange side- is that what I should follow?

Flange side is all that is required. I too use glassholes

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I replaced the gaskets, and while I think one of the bulkheads no longer leaks, one still does. I can’t replace the full bulkhead as the original is much shorter than the ones from BRS (longer won’t fit the 2 boxes).

Any suggestions?

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I replaced the gaskets, and while I think one of the bulkheads no longer leaks, one still does. I can’t replace the full bulkhead as the original is much shorter than the ones from BRS (longer won’t fit the 2 boxes).

Any suggestions?
Cut the new bulkhead shorter. I've done it before with no problems

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of questions:

I know to put the gasket on the flange side, but should i try a second gasket on the nut side? or will that just make things worse? And how about using 2 gaskets?

If i do cut the bulkhead- what should i use? I usually use compound miter saw, but not sure how ABS will deal with it, and how to claimp it down. Should i just use a hacksaw?

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of questions:

I know to put the gasket on the flange side, but should i try a second gasket on the nut side? or will that just make things worse? And how about using 2 gaskets?

If i do cut the bulkhead- what should i use? I usually use compound miter saw, but not sure how ABS will deal with it, and how to claimp it down. Should i just use a hacksaw?
I cut mine on a tablesaw. No problem with the ABS

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on doubling the gaskets or using a 2nd gasket on nut side (inside tank)

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more thought- the back of the glass is painted. now the prior owner was able to get a seal on the old bulkhead even with the pain, does it make a difference though that i am now trying to use an overflow box? (and there is more surface area between the box and the glass? or should the seal with the bulk head still be enough to prevent the leaking.

Btw when i say leaking, it mean that water comes out from between the box in the back (tiny drops at a time, though steady).

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT FINALLY figured it out.

I am a dum dumb.

The second gasket needed to go between the glass and overflow box on the outside, I had put the second gasket on the nut inside the inside overflow.

Last edited:

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason the OP said not to use silicone was probably because you shouldn't have to....if everything else is right. Silicone wont' hurt anything..but getting it in the threads could make it difficult later.

As for which side to put the gasket, I always remember it because rubber grips....and if it's on the nut side, it's harder to tighten the nut...which you don't want. You want the nut to slide easily against the glass so you can get it tighter.

isazh86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am planning a new aquarium, will go 100x50x50 cm, I want to go without overlfow box, only pipes. Can you tell me pros and cons about that?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back