Instant Ocean and diatoms

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had problems with IO being high in silicates? I am having a huge diatom problem and wondering if my IO mix is fueling the problem with high silicates.
I don't

:)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had problems with IO being high in silicates? I am having a huge diatom problem and wondering if my IO mix is fueling the problem with high silicates.

Its possible salt mix has silicate in it but its much more likely silicate is getting through your ro/di water.

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible salt mix has silicate in it but its much more likely silicate is getting through your ro/di water.

I’ve heard that before. I just changed my DI resin and my TDS meter reads 0 on the output. I assume the TDS meter will detect dissolved silicates?

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are those of us that don't because it seems to grow brown stuff under bright lighting.

We are probably completely wrong.

Probably.

Really? Elaborate please!! I have brown stuff all over my sand and glass and it’s extremly annoying. My live rock seems to stay clear of it.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that before. I just changed my DI resin and my TDS meter reads 0 on the output. I assume the TDS meter will detect dissolved silicates?

I dont know but found a post frlm Randy holmes farley for you:

"Silicate will not show up well on a TDS meter unless the pH is high enough to form silicate (Si(OH)3O-; pH above about 9). Otherwise, it will mostly be in the form of silicic acid, Si(OH)4, which is not conductive.

In addition to the above article, I discuss issues relating to it penetrating RO membranes and DI resins in:

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation and a belief based on experience over 10 years. Many years ago on another forum it was advised to not use IO in a reef tank. I have found it to be good advise.

Lots of bown stuff threads posted on this forum.
Algae too
Just a belief.

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know but found a post frlm Randy holmes farley for you:

"Silicate will not show up well on a TDS meter unless the pH is high enough to form silicate (Si(OH)3O-; pH above about 9). Otherwise, it will mostly be in the form of silicic acid, Si(OH)4, which is not conductive.

In addition to the above article, I discuss issues relating to it penetrating RO membranes and DI resins in:

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

I was just reading that post! Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation and a belief based on experience over 10 years. Many years ago on another forum it was advised to not use IO in a reef tank. I have found it to be good advise.

Lots of bown stuff threads posted on this forum.
Algae too
Just a belief.

You have me wondering too. I may switch salts and see what that does. I thought my initial problem was old DI resin. I changed it a few weeks ago and have done multiple water changes since then with no change in diatoms.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me wondering too. I may switch salts and see what that does. I thought my initial problem was old DI resin. I changed it a few weeks ago and have done multiple water changes since then with no change in diatoms.

The notion that Instant Ocean isn't a good choice for a reef is ridiculous. I'm not sure if he's referring to Reef Crystals which does leave a residue (Instant Ocean does not) but tons of reefers use it with fantastic results as well (Copps being a notable user that runs his personal and business tanks with it).

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure ammonia levels in fresh batch of salt water. I got rid of instant ocean when I measured .5 pmm ammonia in fresh mix. My rodi water had 0. I went to red sea blue bucket and happy with the change.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ridiculous. I don't even know why there are other brands of salt made. IO is perfect in every way.

I have Tropic Marin in my tank. I will drain it and sterilize it with fire immediately.

I am sorry.
Good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back