Instant Ocean and diatoms

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ridiculous. I don't even know why there are other brands of salt made. IO is perfect in every way.

I have Tropic Marin in my tank. I will drain it and sterilize it with fire immediately.

I am sorry.

Admitting you're powerless is the first step to recovery. Well done...

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I had diatoms, I changed out DI cartridge with a Silica Buster and diatoms went away. I have used IO for 22 years with no issues.

I think this might be the way to go. Quick question: can I completely replace my DI resin with the silica buster or just have the silica buster cartridge?

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s not turn this thread in to a chance to bash IO. My question was just that: a question. All of you have helped me figure out what the potential cause might be. I assumed since the TDS meter read 0, I was okay as far as silicates go. The logical step from there was to examine the salt I was using. However, I now realize silicates might still be entering my RODI water and not be recognized by the TDS meter. Also, I think I remember someone telling me a while back that Dallas tap water is high in silicates. I will try the silica buster and see how it works. No need to bash IO salt anymore. Thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s not turn this thread in to a chance to bash IO. My question was just that: a question. All of you have helped me figure out what the potential cause might be. I assumed since the TDS meter read 0, I was okay as far as silicates go. The logical step from there was to examine the salt I was using. However, I now realize silicates might still be entering my RODI water and not be recognized by the TDS meter. Also, I think I remember someone telling me a while back that Dallas tap water is high in silicates. I will try the silica buster and see how it works. No need to bash IO salt anymore. Thanks!

No Worries and hope you've found your answer.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and are you sure it's diatoms? Cyanobacteria can be rust-colored and be easily mistaken for diatoms and is more likely what it is if in an older tank. If your tank is only a few months old, it probably just doesn't have enough benthic sponge growth to rapidly consume the silica -- in which case beefing up your cleanup crew and focusing on limiting one of the other macro-nutrients required by diatom algae (phosphate, especially) will probably do more good than trying to limit silica input -- which is probably not all that much unless you're doing huge water changes with unfiltered tap water. I intentionally dose 3ppm+ silica per week to my tank and don't have diatom issues, but find that they begin to appear if my phosphate gets above 0.05ppm or so...

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The report typically list levels of chemical detected. Undetected chemicals are not listed. If you have any more questions let me know.
This is a quote from my Water company. Contact ,E/m them. They will gladly answer Your question. Make sure You tell them why you want to know. This will let Ya know if your water supply has high silicates.
There are other reasons for the diatoms.

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with their pro series and doubled up with 2 of their systems. No silicants or ammonia will get threw.

20180701_112942.jpg

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and are you sure it's diatoms? Cyanobacteria can be rust-colored and be easily mistaken for diatoms and is more likely what it is if in an older tank. If your tank is only a few months old, it probably just doesn't have enough benthic sponge growth to rapidly consume the silica -- in which case beefing up your cleanup crew and focusing on limiting one of the other macro-nutrients required by diatom algae (phosphate, especially) will probably do more good than trying to limit silica input -- which is probably not all that much unless you're doing huge water changes with unfiltered tap water. I intentionally dose 3ppm+ silica per week to my tank and don't have diatom issues, but find that they begin to appear if my phosphate gets above 0.05ppm or so...

Tank is about 9 months old. Here is a pic

7F6EB888-688D-41F7-B989-D4D3266AB7C6.jpeg

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 9 months old. Here is a pic

7F6EB888-688D-41F7-B989-D4D3266AB7C6.jpeg

Cyanobacteria has always been rust-colored like that in my tank and grown primarily on the glass and sand rather than the rockwork. When I get diatom blooms after dosing especially high silica concentrations, it shows up on my rockwork first and tends to be slightly more yellow/gold than in that photo. Totally anecdotal and just my opinion... but given the age of your tank I'd guess that's one of the many species of cyano. You could always pick up a silica test kit if in doubt, though. The reason I'm skeptical that it's diatoms is that most established tanks will see almost all of their free silica used almost as quickly as it's added because sponges in the rockwork can pull it out of the water extremely fast.

If it is cyano, Chemiclean works wonders and is usually reef-safe if not dosed in excess, in a well-oxygenated tank, and followed by a large water change. Some people have reported fish losses, though that seems to be rare.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back