Instant quarantine tank

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I want to order some new corals over 2/3 weeks and I want to quarantine them.
I have set up an 17g tank one week ago and filled it with water out of my main tank and 1.5 kg of rock out of my tank + an marine pure block 8x8x4'' witch was in the sump.
The tank has a small wave maker, old 90w led light, ato and a heater.
The tank has a filter compartiment in the back without filtration (not really necessary I guess).

So I wonder is if this is stable enough to quarantine acropora?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't really need to cycle a tank if only corals are in it - corals can process ammonia directly and use it as a source of nitrogen. You just need to make sure you don't overfeed early on until the bacteria population grows enough to keep the ammonia from getting up to toxic levels.

More more info see: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ammonia-and-coral.299645/post-7590241

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks for replying :)

As the rock an marine pure is both from a tank of about 1 year I don't think ammonia will be a problem.
The rock has alot of baby turbo snails, amphipods and white sponges on it.
It is more chemical stability Im worried about.
A tank is ammonia cycled in +-8 weeks but that does not mean it is suited for acropora.

The last time i had ordered 5 acropora frags along with a bunch of acans seritoporas and some other lps (16 corals in total) .
I had set up a smaller 8g qtank back then with 6 maxpect spheres from my main tank with 50% main tank water and 50% fresh salt water along with the same light wave maker and heater I have on my current qtank.
The tank was set up just 3 days befor the corals went in the qtank.
2 out of 5 arcos rtned in the first 2 days.
I pulled the across out of the q tank and into my, main to save them but they also rtned a few days later.
Some acans got damaged too, one of them died later in my main tank.

It was probably also becouse I drip acclimated the corals on arrival and than I all gave them a coral rx dip befor I put them in qt.
That could be to mutch stress after a day in a dark plastic bag..

So I want to prevent coral deaths this time and do it the right and save way.

The corals I'm gonna order are all aquacultured so they are a bit more hardy and I guess they have less chance to have pests.
But still I don't wanna take the chance to get aptasia (or something else) again witch I could not get rid off in my previous tank.

So my real question is:
What does it take to quarantine acropora?
Witch steps should I take on arrival?
Is my current qtank good enough or not?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks for replying :)

As the rock an marine pure is both from a tank of about 1 year I don't think ammonia will be a problem.
The rock has alot of baby turbo snails, amphipods and white sponges on it.
It is more chemical stability Im worried about.
A tank is ammonia cycled in +-8 weeks but that does not mean it is suited for acropora.

The last time i had ordered 5 acropora frags along with a bunch of acans seritoporas and some other lps (16 corals in total) .
I had set up a smaller 8g qtank back then with 6 maxpect spheres from my main tank with 50% main tank water and 50% fresh salt water along with the same light wave maker and heater I have on my current qtank.
The tank was set up just 3 days befor the corals went in the qtank.
2 out of 5 arcos rtned in the first 2 days.
I pulled the across out of the q tank and into my, main to save them but they also rtned a few days later.
Some acans got damaged too, one of them died later in my main tank.

It was probably also becouse I drip acclimated the corals on arrival and than I all gave them a coral rx dip befor I put them in qt.
That could be to mutch stress after a day in a dark plastic bag..

So I want to prevent coral deaths this time and do it the right and save way.

The corals I'm gonna order are all aquacultured so they are a bit more hardy and I guess they have less chance to have pests.
But still I don't wanna take the chance to get aptasia (or something else) again witch I could not get rid off in my previous tank.

So my real question is:
What does it take to quarantine acropora?
Witch steps should I take on arrival?
Is my current qtank good enough or not?
Your tank sounds like it should be good to go. All the vendors at frag swaps put acro frags in an uncycled tank. I think you must of over stressed the previous frags with coral rx (hate that stuff for acros). I do not dip right out of the bag. I put them in my qt and dip them a couple days later when they’re not as stressed.

Back