Intentionally feeding feather dusters to Copperbands?

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone ever tried this as a way to help with longevity of this fish?

I have an awesome LFS on my way home from work that always has a tank of large feather dusters for maybe $10-15. Would be easy stop by a few times a month to grab "takeout" to supplement a prepared diet for a copperband.

Maybe this could help increase success rates with this particular fish?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got no input but sounds expensive like feeding filet minogue to your pet gator…
there used to be a ubiquitous small white feather duster that multiplied by the zillion in the sump…haven’t seen them for years but someone’s gotta still have some

OP
OP
Rewd

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meh. A few times a month isn't a big deal if it means increased success with such an amazing fish haha

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems reasonable enough, if you can afford it and you know he'll eat them. Can't hurt. Don't they mostly eat smaller worms, though?

Those mini feather dusters (or something like them) should show up in most tanks started with ocean rock, I'd think.

OP
OP
Rewd

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a good question. I just figured they'd eat any feather duster.

OP
OP
Rewd

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've read numerous times that folks believe these fish don't often thrive because something might be missing from their captive diet. Last time I checked, freshwater black worms don't reside on the reefs and those pointy beaks aren't designed to eat clams.

I appreciate your suggestion, but you've missed the point entirely.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got no input but sounds expensive like feeding filet minogue to your pet gator…
there used to be a ubiquitous small white feather duster that multiplied by the zillion in the sump…haven’t seen them for years but someone’s gotta still have some
Lol funny you say that. My dad has a friend who feeds his alligators steaks and fish frys as a “treat”

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems reasonable enough, if you can afford it and you know he'll eat them. Can't hurt. Don't they mostly eat smaller worms, though?

Those mini feather dusters (or something like them) should show up in most tanks started with ocean rock, I'd think.

Yeah they eat these little ones. Black or white worms, even pods are good supplemental and beginning offerings that work for these guys. Live mysid shrimp if you have access are excellent. Amphipods that you culture yourself.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought my CBB for aiptasia control and I had thousands of the tiny dusters, which are harmless but didn’t like the look. Maybe two weeks and they were gone. Except in the sump.:)
Lots in there. So now every now and then I scrape the sump glass for a clump of dusters and feed them into the display for the CBB. My suggestion, buy a rock from your LFS that has the tiny dusters and sump it. They should multiply quickly.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought my CBB for aiptasia control and I had thousands of the tiny dusters, which are harmless but didn’t like the look. Maybe two weeks and they were gone. Except in the sump.:)
Lots in there. So now every now and then I scrape the sump glass for a clump of dusters and feed them into the display for the CBB. My suggestion, buy a rock from your LFS that has the tiny dusters and sump it. They should multiply quickly.
I'd love to hit you up for some one day ;)

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever tried this as a way to help with longevity of this fish?

I have an awesome LFS on my way home from work that always has a tank of large feather dusters for maybe $10-15. Would be easy stop by a few times a month to grab "takeout" to supplement a prepared diet for a copperband.

Maybe this could help increase success rates with this particular fish?
black worms and aiptasia are easier to raise and cheaper. My copperband would destroy your $15 rock of fan worms within a few hours I'm guessing. Has probably eaten 100 plus aiptasia that I just added on LR in about a week. Eats 50 plus mysis daily. Aiptasia is a better natural diet choice IMO if you have one that eats it, but blackworms are great for fattening skinny cbb's up. Fanworms are so small and would get expensive quick if you bought enough to actually be a significant enough part of its diet to matter. Once a month seems pointless to me.
If I ate big macs everyday and a salad monthly I'll still have high cholesterol right?
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Back