Interesting 'New' LED Light

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to buy the RMS mount or use the one that Daniel sells on his site to mount it but there shouldn't be any reason that it would not work on your tank. As for the interface its just a web page the the light publishes, so after you get the lights you will set them up on wifi and then with a web browser go to the IP address that is assigned to the light (should show on the front light display). A lot easier than getting an app.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Just visited ReeFi website. Is it possible that the RMS mount selling for $15 does the same job as the Radion mount that sells for $104? On the site I see cross tank mounts and one for rimless tanks. There is also an RMS adapter to eliminate droop. I do not see one specifically listed for a standard rimmed tank.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the prompt reply. Just visited ReeFi website. Is it possible that the RMS mount selling for $15 does the same job as the Radion mount that sells for $104? On the site I see cross tank mounts and one for rimless tanks. There is also an RMS adapter to eliminate droop. I do not see one specifically listed for a standard rimmed tank.

The RMS mount is an adapter to allow you to mount the ReeFi light on the Radion RMS mount, you would still need to buy the RMS mount if you don't already have it. The one that he sells in here: https://www.reefi-lab.com/product/2040-single-arm-tank-mount-for-rimless-tanks/ but you will still need to buy the 2040 aluminum but its pretty cheap and available everywhere. I'm going to use the wall mount setup with mine that he has here: https://www.reefi-lab.com/product/2040-wall-mounts/

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how you are determining this but from what I can see on output it should be good for my setup the tank is only 32" long and these lights should cover it just find. My current setup is 2 led with the 4 T5 bulbs. I guess I'll find out once I install them and test the PAR between my current setup and the new lights.

Also on the Orphek, from what I read they have so very bad service and dependabilty and they are more $$$ than the Reefi, so why would I go with that light over the Reefi?

I have a single large reefi over my 34g, 24in long tank with depth of 17”. I get plenty of PAR with that depth...Not insane PAR, but plenty.

If your tank is only 32” long, then it must be very deep, which will decrease PAR quite a bit unless you have your light very close to the water.

As for Orphek, I never spoke to their CS or reputation, so don’t see why you brought that up.

You implied that your reefi was low on par, for your tank. My reply was that ALL led options on the market are probably low for your tank if you use just one.

Edit: I think that I misread your post. Are you commenting on your current setup and not the reefi?

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RMS mount is an adapter to allow you to mount the ReeFi light on the Radion RMS mount, you would still need to buy the RMS mount if you don't already have it. The one that he sells in here: https://www.reefi-lab.com/product/2040-single-arm-tank-mount-for-rimless-tanks/ but you will still need to buy the 2040 aluminum but its pretty cheap and available everywhere. I'm going to use the wall mount setup with mine that he has here: https://www.reefi-lab.com/product/2040-wall-mounts/

Assuming I bought the proffered rimless mount from ReeFi where would the 2040 aluminum fit into the setup. I'm not at all clear on that. Seems like the issue is getting the mount to fit over the rim on the tank.
I really don't want to mount my lights on the wall.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single large reefi over my 34g, 24in long tank with depth of 17”. I get plenty of PAR with that depth...Not insane PAR, but plenty.

If your tank is only 32” long, then it must be very deep, which will decrease PAR quite a bit unless you have your light very close to the water.

As for Orphek, I never spoke to their CS or reputation, so don’t see why you brought that up.

You implied that your reefi was low on par, for your tank. My reply was that ALL led options on the market are probably low for your tank if you use just one.

My tank is 32" long x 24" wide and 20" tall so no its not deep very deep either. I do not have a reefi light yet I have a T5/led hybrid setup, I tested my PAR when I setup my tank and I'm getting around 300 at the top and low 200 at the bottom with this setup. If I don't see more PAR with the Reefi Extreme then I can always use it along with the T5 hybrid setup and get a low more Par with that but I'm really hoping to not have to do that.

As for my comment on the CS and reputation of the Orphek, I said this because you made it sound like the Orphek is going to be a lot better than the Reefi Extreme and I'm not seeing that, also when I buy something I take the reliability and CS into account before I buy. So you suggesting that I buy another brand that has issue with CS and reliability is something that I think has to be address and considered, that's it nothing against you its all about the product.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming I bought the proffered rimless mount from ReeFi where would the 2040 aluminum fit into the setup. I'm not at all clear on that. Seems like the issue is getting the mount to fit over the rim on the tank.

Reefi sells the point or attachment to various tank mounts. It attaches to your reefi light and then attaches to the matching arm that you buy elsewhere.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2040 aluminum is what attaches to the mount that goes over the rim on the tank and then attaches to the light, so in the description of this mount at the bottom he has links to the other items you will need for this mount, one of the 2040 and the other is the inside corner mount that holds the 2 pieces together. Hopefully this make since.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 32" long x 24" wide and 20" tall so no its not deep very deep either. I do not have a reefi light yet I have a T5/led hybrid setup, I tested my PAR when I setup my tank and I'm getting around 300 at the top and low 200 at the bottom with this setup. If I don't see more PAR with the Reefi Extreme then I can always use it along with the T5 hybrid setup and get a low more Par with that but I'm really hoping to not have to do that.

As for my comment on the CS and reputation of the Orphek, I said this because you made it sound like the Orphek is going to be a lot better than the Reefi Extreme and I'm not seeing that, also when I buy something I take the reliability and CS into account before I buy. So you suggesting that I buy another brand that has issue with CS and reliability is something that I think has to be address and considered, that's it nothing against you its all about the product.

I think that a single reefi is going to be low on your tank if you are going for Acroporas unless you keep the light closer to the water line and keep your corals closer to the center. It’ll be more PAR than I think your current led light is probably providing.

As for Orphek, I have no experience with their CS. Their hardware looks legit...

Reefi has the competition beat, in my opinion, with the 3 year warranty and the owner jumping, within minutes, to answer questions. That and the light being superior to the Radion as far as hardware goes.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi sells the point or attachment to various tank mounts. It attaches to your reefi light and then attaches to the matching arm that you buy elsewhere.

The 2040 aluminum is what attaches to the mount that goes over the rim on the tank and then attaches to the light, so in the description of this mount at the bottom he has links to the other items you will need for this mount, one of the 2040 and the other is the inside corner mount that holds the 2 pieces together. Hopefully this make since.

Sounds like they do not sell a complete mounting system for a tank mount. I'd gladly pay the price to be able to open a box and assemble the mounting fixture.
Hmm, I wonder if the mounting arms from my Hydras would work?

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that a single reefi is going to be low on your tank if you are going for Acroporas unless you keep the light closer to the water line and keep your corals closer to the center. It’ll be more PAR than I think your current led light is probably providing.

As for Orphek, I have no experience with their CS. Their hardware looks legit...

Reefi has the competition beat, in my opinion, with the 3 year warranty and the owner jumping, within minutes, to answer questions. That and the light being superior to the Radion as far as hardware goes.
I'll find out on the Par with the meter, I would not do this without using one as my hope is to start out close to the current Par levels and then use the acclimation mode to slowly ramp the Par up. I do have Acro's now and they are growing great with the level I have and getting good color I just want to see more color out of them and better quality light.

As for Orphek I agree that their hardware looks great but there is a long thread on here and a LOT of people are getting issues with random led's failing and to fix it requires you replacing the led yourself with a soldering iron. I can do it but I have no desire to buy $1000 for a light that requires me to repair and fix burned out led's myself.

The Reefi is hard to beat and I think a lot better deal and setup that anything Orphek offers, I was originally going to do with one of the large Orphek setups but the issues with quality and support was a huge turnoff and when you really compare the Reefi and the Orphek the Reefi Extreme very close to the same as the Orphek for power and number of leds. Plus the interface and options on the Reefi are better than the Orphek.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they do not sell a complete mounting system for a tank mount. I'd gladly pay the price to be able to open a box and assemble the mounting fixture.
You can contact Daniel on here or from his site and ask him about this and what he recommends. I agree that it would be nice to be able to buy a complete setup direct from him and everything is ready to go. Maybe that is something that he will add?

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The hydra mounts will not work, as the ReeFis are heavier lights.
I recommend buying the ReeFi adaptor for the Radion RMS and ordering RMS mounts from one of the Radion dealers. Get the ReeFi adaptor that corrects for the 3.6 degree sag/drop that happens with the RMS mounts. I really liked this option myself.

Here’s the one you want: https://www.reefi-lab.com/2019/09/06/rms-mount-adaptor-with-3-6-degs-correction-option/

You can see a picture here of Suncrestreef’s ReeFi using the RMS mounts with the 3.6 degree correction. They look great!

Last edited:

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - I left mine hanging from some brackets mounted to the wall. PAR is high enough that I can hang the light higher than the tank mount options allow. Higher up means better coverage. I’m considering hanging it a few inches higher for even better coverage.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone used the reefi in the aquatic life t5 hybrid?

From the hybrid's bracket spacing specs online, ReeFi Duo Extreme (8in wide) will fit. However, you'll need to stop by your local hardware store (Lowe's, HomeDepot, etc) to pickup some stainless steel or zinc M3 washers and M3 bolts to secure ReeFi onto the Aquatic's bracket system.
1577600031715.png

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what happened but R2R has not been notifying me of responses to my post on this thread. Weird, as I get messages daily regarding posts to threads I haven’t posted on in months. Glad I came back over to have another look.

The hydra mounts will not work, as the ReeFis are heavier lights.
I recommend buying the ReeFi adaptor for the Radion RMS and ordering RMS mounts from one of the Radion dealers. Get the ReeFi adaptor that corrects for the 3.6 degree sag/drop that happens with the RMS mounts. I really liked this option myself.

Here’s the one you want: https://www.reefi-lab.com/2019/09/06/rms-mount-adaptor-with-3-6-degs-correction-option/

You can see a picture here of Suncrestreef’s ReeFi using the RMS mounts with the 3.6 degree correction. They look great!

Thanks for the advice and the link to Suncrestreef’s photo. That is the look I’d like. I see Daniel has also posted a response so I’ll contact him directly.

Hi PeterG,

What is the dimensions of your tank? Is it rimmed or rimless? Do you have make and model of your tank? If you prefer, I'm willing to help you order the parts you need and have them ship to you directly. 2040 aluminum profile would still look great but will have sharp 90deg corners. If you like a more curved corners look than RMS is the way to go. Send me PM directly, email, or Facebook msg and I can help you determine which mounting option to get and help you order all the parts you need.

Hydras mounts will not work. They are way too thin and the ReeFi Duo Extremes are much heavier.

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel. Sent you a PM

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also got two of these lights, and I've had them for about 3 months, as the developer is local for me. When I first put them over my tank, all I could say was. WOW. The color is what really makes them stand out. The selling point for me on these lights is that every LED color can be controlled individually over 9 channels so you can fine tune your spectrum and get it exactly how you want it. I personally don't like overly blue tanks or the disco ball effect, and was a T5 holdout for a long time for this reason. The developer of these lights consulted with Goldenbasketreef in Portland in designing them and you can tell by the quality of the full spectrum color you get from these lights. The color I get from them reminds me of Goldenbasket's photos on Facebook. The web interface is solid and loaded with features, the reflectors do a good job of reducing lateral light spillage, and color blending is really good---no disco ball effect. Importantly, my SPS are growing very well under them. Here's a shot of the ReeFis over my frag tank. As you can see by how far up I am hanging them, they are very powerful. I am slowly moving them down on the chains, as my corals adjust, until they are about 12 inches from the water surface.

IMG_7653.jpg

How close to the waterline did you end up adjusting these? Ever take any PAR measurements? What power are you running them?

Thanks for any info and my apologies if these were answered in the other pages of the thread!

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are 9.5” above the water surface. At the peak setting I’m getting 250ish on top of my rock work which is upper 2/3rds of the tank. Bottom of the tank I’m getting 100-120. I have plenty room to go more if needed but this schedule seems where my corals are happiest.
21BA871F-5C31-4CFD-AB86-8002F292002F.png

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close to the waterline did you end up adjusting these? Ever take any PAR measurements? What power are you running them?

Thanks for any info and my apologies if these were answered in the other pages of the thread!

I run mine about 9.5 inches off of the water. I actually haven't been able to measure PAR on this tank yet because my Biotek/Apogee par meter stopped working because of outdated firmware!
I've got mine running at about 160 watts out of the 216 max.

Dana measures PAR starting at this post, linked below. As you can see, they provide lots of PAR!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back