Internal Parasites or Pregnant Clown?

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns that have been together a little over a year now. I'd say the male is 2 years old and female 3 or 4. They've been behaving very much like pre-spawn for the first time with the male clearing out a spot (picking up sand and moving it) and both clearing out areas and doing their dance. I've never seen or experienced spawning so this may just be that, but yesterday I noticed a white tube hanging out the anus area of my female clownfish along with the area swollen.

I can't tell if this is internal parasites or her carrying a clutch preparing for spawning.

Any advice?
Really hoping not internal parasites, we've been slowly preparing to move and already tore down my QT and probably wouldn't be able to get it back up till this weekend at the earliest...

Attachments

• PXL_20210302_212007322~2.mp4
    41.2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is mucus and not related to reproduction. It is really unusual for long term captive fish to suddenly develop internal diseases. Have you added any fish recently, or changed their diet?

It is highly unlikely, almost impossible for this to be from worm parasites. It is therefore mucus from a change in diet, "intestinal upset", protozoans (rare) or bacterial infection. If the fish is feeding well, I would just observe it for now.

Jay

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is mucus and not related to reproduction. It is really unusual for long term captive fish to suddenly develop internal diseases. Have you added any fish recently, or changed their diet?

It is highly unlikely, almost impossible for this to be from worm parasites. It is therefore mucus from a change in diet, "intestinal upset", protozoans (rare) or bacterial infection. If the fish is feeding well, I would just observe it for now.

Jay
No changes in diet, this has been their diet since getting them. I feed once a day Omega One + garlic flakes and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two. About twice a week I feed LRS Reef Frenzy.

Today I saw something new. Almost a bulbous thing attached to her anus area with the same white string. I attached a video as best of screen shot as I could get.

Attachments

• PXL_20210303_213034227~2.mp4
    31.6 MB
  • Screenshot_20210303-153331.png
    Screenshot_20210303-153331.png
    856.6 KB · Views: 60

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really tough to see. Could be a minor prolapse. The fish looks pretty good otherwise.

You could try feeding an antibiotic medicated food, but to do it right, it's pretty complicated:

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back