Internal Parasites or Pregnant Clown?

Reefer37

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2019
Messages
364
Reaction score
157
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns that have been together a little over a year now. I'd say the male is 2 years old and female 3 or 4. They've been behaving very much like pre-spawn for the first time with the male clearing out a spot (picking up sand and moving it) and both clearing out areas and doing their dance. I've never seen or experienced spawning so this may just be that, but yesterday I noticed a white tube hanging out the anus area of my female clownfish along with the area swollen.

I can't tell if this is internal parasites or her carrying a clutch preparing for spawning.

Any advice?
Really hoping not internal parasites, we've been slowly preparing to move and already tore down my QT and probably wouldn't be able to get it back up till this weekend at the earliest...
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210302_212007322~2.mp4
    41.2 MB
That is mucus and not related to reproduction. It is really unusual for long term captive fish to suddenly develop internal diseases. Have you added any fish recently, or changed their diet?

It is highly unlikely, almost impossible for this to be from worm parasites. It is therefore mucus from a change in diet, "intestinal upset", protozoans (rare) or bacterial infection. If the fish is feeding well, I would just observe it for now.

Jay
 
That is mucus and not related to reproduction. It is really unusual for long term captive fish to suddenly develop internal diseases. Have you added any fish recently, or changed their diet?

It is highly unlikely, almost impossible for this to be from worm parasites. It is therefore mucus from a change in diet, "intestinal upset", protozoans (rare) or bacterial infection. If the fish is feeding well, I would just observe it for now.

Jay
No changes in diet, this has been their diet since getting them. I feed once a day Omega One + garlic flakes and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two. About twice a week I feed LRS Reef Frenzy.

Today I saw something new. Almost a bulbous thing attached to her anus area with the same white string. I attached a video as best of screen shot as I could get.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210303_213034227~2.mp4
    31.6 MB
  • Screenshot_20210303-153331.png
    Screenshot_20210303-153331.png
    856.6 KB · Views: 97

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new