Internal parasites??

Rconner15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a yellowish/brown string hanging out of my coral beauty today. I'm assuming it is poo. Is this a sign of internal parasites or some other type of infection? Or does the string of poo have to be white to signify an internal infection??

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry until the poop is white AND stringy. Stringy poop in and of itself is not cause for concern.

That said, it doesn't hurt to treat for internal parasites as they're relatively common in tangs, angels m, and wrasse. Other fish as well but they're observed more in these fish it appears.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Yellow is and odd color, but that could be attributed to the foods the angel has been eating. Either way, it's not a bad idea to go ahead to deworm with metroplex + focus in the food for all the fish, especially if that hasn't been done for any of them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White would certainly be indicative of parasites ... other colors, less certain, IIRC.

^^ This; yellow could just mean intestinal irritation i.e. upset tummy. But if you see white, you've got a problem and should jump on feeding Metroplex + Focus ASAP.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, internal parasites, probably flagellates.
Treat with food dosed with metroplex + focus.

This is contrary to what I've normally seen recommended. I had thought it was best to wait for it to be unmistakably white.

OP
OP
R

Rconner15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ This; yellow could just mean intestinal irritation i.e. upset tummy. But if you see white, you've got a problem and should jump on feeding Metroplex + Focus ASAP.
Thanks for all of the responses! Have some focus ordered and on the way. Should have it tomorrow. For now I'll just mix in a scoop of metro to some thawed out frozen food.

Any chance it could be a bacterial infection? Should I treat with some kanaplex with the metro just in case?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance it could be a bacterial infection? Should I treat with some kanaplex with the metro just in case?

That would be a prudent move. You could feed Metroplex in the AM, Kanaplex in the PM. Or vice versa.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back