Introducing a Regal Angel?

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the lens I bought to go on iphone 11, I’m sure it works on pretty much any phone, it’s just clip on. Not too expensive but helps take great pics! Enjoy your Regal, definitely my favorite fish!

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 7.01.49 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less luck today. The Regal ignored my mysis clamshell all morning. I swapped for a clam with some angel mix mixed in instead, but he's only picked at it. Maybe he's full since he ate 3 clams yesterday.

I just ordered some masstick, thanks for the suggestion. I'll also try bloodworms tomorrow since I already have some for my FW tank.

Our Regals could definitely be from the same shipment! That's awesome, hope yours does well.

Definitely gonna buy that lens, thank you for the recommendation!

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t anticipate too much aggression, but it would be best to add the Regal first to get it used to feeding before adding fish with a bigger appetite.
I have one in my 155 (indo) and it eats like a pig. It’ll steal food right out of my other fish’s mouths.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 whole clams in one day means he might be full. My Regal gets probably half a clam a day and I have had him for over 7 months. Here is a video of him eating tonight:

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled the trigger on a gorgeous 4'' Red Sea Regal Angel and I'm really excited to get it into quarantine on Saturday.

My question: I also plan on picking up a Flame and/or Coral Beauty angel to my tank at some point. Normally I would introduce territorial/aggressive fish of similar species at the same time, but I've heard Regals are super shy. Should I hold off on the dwarf angel until the Regal is settled?

Tank stats:
150g, 5ft
Currently only has a watchman goby, black ice clownfish pair, and a royal gramma

Thanks for the advice!
I would recommend adding the regal first (after a prior quarantine period). Keep feeding the regal whatever foods he will eat and introduce other foods to him to try to entice him into eating other meaty foods.. If it won't accept them when broadcast fed into the tank, then place a little bit of those foods in a clam shell...the regal will nip at it like it's a clam and likely to discover the new item and that it's yummy!. As far as algae, I wouldn't worry if the regal is eating algae off a clip (as long as it's eating other items). Sometimes fish don't really know what an algae clip is until maybe another fish like a tang may eat from it first. If you want to give the regal some algae and encourage it to eat that, then rubberband a small piece to a piece of live rock and place in the tank. The regal is much more likely to pick at it this way versus a clip. My regal is more of a nipper on algae versus eating large pieces like my tang can do. However, my regal will eat larger pieces of algae (from a clip) whenever I cut the algae in very small width slits, so that the regal can tear off a skinny and small length piece that he can swallow completely. If the algae is all in one large piece, the regal is more content to nip and tear at it and rip pieces off to float around the tank, which he then ignores to focus on nipping at the larger sheet of algae.

After you've introduced the regal to the display tank and the regal has settled for several weeks, you can then consider adding a dwarf angel to the tank. The two dwarf angels you mentioned are fairly aggressive ones, so I think they should have no issue holding their own outside of the initial aggression they are likely to experience. Quite honestly, I added a potters angel to my tank that had an established regal angel in it, and my regal hardly even acknowledged the other angel. I have had no issues with them, as they are typically both actively swimming in the tank or cruising the rockwork looking to pick at something. Obviously, there are times when they cross paths that the regal may assert a little dominance but it's very short lived and not a grudge type of aggression that is non stop. I can't comment on whether adding two dwarf angels would be okay.if you did do that, I'd introduce the two dwarfs together at the same time. I'd be less worried about the regal tolerating the two dwarf angels and more about the two dwarf angels tolerating each other over the long term....however, I have never kept two dwarf angels together, so I have no first hand experience in that respect...my best guess is if introduced together and there is large enough tank size, adequate live rock, hiding spots, swimming room, and tank is not over crowded, that it can certainly be done. Of course, you may have a hard time introducing certain new fish after the dwarf angels get established.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your new regal, my favorite angel by far!
If it takes to masstick like mine does you can mix in different things to it to encourage it to eat that as well, both frozen, flake and pellets work great.

In terms of aggression the regal I have now kind of goes against the mold, it’s been very assertive since I got it and has taken the role of the tank bully.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back