Introducing a Regal Angel?

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled the trigger on a gorgeous 4'' Red Sea Regal Angel and I'm really excited to get it into quarantine on Saturday.

My question: I also plan on picking up a Flame and/or Coral Beauty angel to my tank at some point. Normally I would introduce territorial/aggressive fish of similar species at the same time, but I've heard Regals are super shy. Should I hold off on the dwarf angel until the Regal is settled?

Tank stats:
150g, 5ft
Currently only has a watchman goby, black ice clownfish pair, and a royal gramma

Thanks for the advice!

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you hold off, but the regal will be bigger. + angels from different parts of the family don’t mess with each other much. You’ll likely be fine getting them all. Definitely add the dwarfs at the same time.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, looks like the Regal is going in alone for now!

My royal gramma is SUPER timid. He hides if another fish goes anywhere near him. I'd be surprised if he bothered an angel. Will keep an eye on him tho.

Fonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would introduce them into the tank at the same time as bigger or larger angels, regardless of species, would tend to bully or beat up any smaller fish, especially angels, that are introduced after. Regal angels are timid, but once established, they are just like any other aggressive angels. Anyway, good luck :p

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmn …. have not generally found the regal to be timid. Hard to get it eating certainly. I'd worry less about aggression from other fish; more about competition for food. Agree that once you get one eating, most problems will be behind you.

Stunning angel, though mine is a zoanthid eating machine.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I know I'm gonna have a challenge getting it to eat. Hopefully it'll eat something other than my zoas, haha.

Since the comments seem split, I'll just judge what to do based on the individual fish's personality. Can't wait to pick it up!

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to just try the Regal for now. Getting him to eat will be stressful enough without other fish lol. I’ll take a better pic when I can crank the lights up higher.

9486EAEC-5A07-4282-90EB-DFC7E4046013.jpeg

Fonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to just try the Regal for now. Getting him to eat will be stressful enough without other fish lol. I’ll take a better pic when I can crank the lights up higher.

9486EAEC-5A07-4282-90EB-DFC7E4046013.jpeg
You've just scored a nice fish there. It's my dream fish, always wanted one, but currently have zoas in my tank, unfortunately. Maybe, down the road, I may try one out in my reef tank. Again, congrats on your beautiful fish.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get clams on the half shell. Regardless if you need it to get them to eat or not, they’re great to fatten them up. They can’t resist.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal angel is my favorite angel of the ones that I can afford. Good luck with him. My Regal pair does not bother any other fish, but my two is in a 320 DT.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I go near his tank today he hides for hours. :( Hopefully he'll get used to me.

Last night after slowly turning back up the lights, I gave him some frozen mysis and a halved littleneck clam. At first he didn't touch anything but when I came to clean out the clam before bed most of it was gone. So that's a good sign!

This morning I clipped some red nori to his rock. He hasn't touched it. I put another clam in and I saw him pick at it but he noticed me so he's back in hiding. I'll wait a few hours then try some Rod's Reef Frenzy when he's out again. If he finishes the second clam I'll be a lot less worried. He can eat my zoas if he wants, just want to get him consistently munching anything before he goes in the DT.

He had a spot of lymphocystis on his back (figured it's from shipping stress, I picked him up still in his wholesaler box), but it seems to be mostly gone today. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pods in your tank? I noticed that made a difference from the one I got now versus the 3 other times that I have tried. That and a full Prazipro treatment to get rid of any internal parasites. Before the Parzipro treatment, he would take a couple of bites out of the clam and that was it. Now, he eats about half a clam from hand feeding with tongs.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday the clam was only half eaten. My theory is that the regal was actually afraid of the nori clip, not me. Put a new clam in this morning and he chowed down on it right in front of me. I'm very relieved. Time to work on getting him to eat something else! Gonna try soaking a cube of mysis in Angelixir and putting it in an empty clam shell next.

There aren't really any pods in the tank he's in right now but I can pick some up from the LFS. I am running Prazipro as a precaution.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday the clam was only half eaten. My theory is that the regal was actually afraid of the nori clip, not me. Put a new clam in this morning and he chowed down on it right in front of me. I'm very relieved. Time to work on getting him to eat something else! Gonna try soaking a cube of mysis in Angelixir and putting it in an empty clam shell next.

There aren't really any pods in the tank he's in right now but I can pick some up from the LFS. I am running Prazipro as a precaution.
Sounds like you are well on your way. I have put frozen mysis cube on a clam and smoosh Masstick to hold them down after it has melted and dropped the clam back on the sandbed. Mine now eats Hikari Mega-Marine Angel(from tongs) as well as PE Mysis Flakes.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my misbar Red Sea Regal from TSM about 4 days ago (maybe you got one from the same shipment?) Had problems eating. Went out and got bloodworms. Did the trick. Now he’s eating algae clip, LRS reef frenzy, and shrimp. He ignored half shell clam on the second day tho this is prob their favorite food. My other regal goes crazy for clam. Try bloodworms. Often, other fish will ignore bloodworms but the regals love ‘em!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back