Introducing New Lights?

mrmoray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang,
I’m getting reading to upgrade the lighting on my tank. I only have GSP at the moment, along with a few fish. But I don’t want to stun anything in the tank by immediately turning on new lights. What should the implementation of the new lights look like? Do you start slow and ramp things up a little each day over a week? Over 2 weeks? How much of a daily increase is too much?
I’m replacing a Current Orbit IC Pro with AI Primes, so I’m assuming a significant improvement. I just want to introduce it correctly.

Any help appreciated!

thanks,
mike

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi gang,
I’m getting reading to upgrade the lighting on my tank. I only have GSP at the moment, along with a few fish. But I don’t want to stun anything in the tank by immediately turning on new lights. What should the implementation of the new lights look like? Do you start slow and ramp things up a little each day over a week? Over 2 weeks? How much of a daily increase is too much?
I’m replacing a Current Orbit IC Pro with AI Primes, so I’m assuming a significant improvement. I just want to introduce it correctly.

Any help appreciated!

thanks,
mike
Hi - do you have lights with a setting (I believe the aI primes have this setting) - to allow 'coral acclimation' - if so I would use that setting. In other words - you set the lighting you eventually want. Then set coral acclimation mode - lets say at 50% for a month. at the end of the month the tank will be where you want it

OP
OP
M

mrmoray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! I didn’t know that type of thing existed! I’ll take a look, thanks.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most "Smart" lights, like AI's have an "acclimation mode" that will automatically ramp the light up over an amount of days of your choosing.

OP
OP
M

mrmoray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds perfect. Since it’s over a period of my choosing, is there a recommendation or standard folks like to use?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I went from Primes to Hydra 32s in my big tank, I did 10 days. Not sure if there is an exact science behind it.
This I think is correct - It depends on how bright the first tank is compared to how bright you want your tank to be. I like my tank much more 'white' and 'bright' as compared to 'blue' - the place where I buy coral has a much more blue spectrum - so I used a 1 month time

OP
OP
M

mrmoray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, makes sense for sure. As a follow up, if I’m targeting LPS mostly (at least for now), what PAR levels should I be shooting for in the tank? Minimum? Maximum?
Thanks!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, makes sense for sure. As a follow up, if I’m targeting LPS mostly (at least for now), what PAR levels should I be shooting for in the tank? Minimum? Maximum?
Thanks!
I would try to shoot for whatever PAR they are using at the store you are buying? Generally its lower than SPS - but I have had several LPS that do fine with higher PAR like >300. But usually depending on the coral lower is recommended

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back