Introducing same-size ocellaris clowns

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve had a crazy butt ocellaris for about three or four months now. She was in a QT tank for half her life (about a year) and developed some intense aggression. I bought her from her last owner for $30 at about 2 years old. She attacks me regularly as well as other fish and even new rocks, corals, and anemones.
I moved her to a 5 gallon QT for a few weeks because of an issue that turned out to be nonexistent, and decided that now is the best time to add new critters. Now, in my display tank (20 tall) there is a mandarin dragonette, a big snail, a conch, a lettuce nudibranch, and best of all: my newest clownfish!
Unfortunately, the new clown is the same size as the old girl. Hard to judge these things when your fish is two hours away from the store.
What do y’all suggest to do now? The new girl has been in the 20 for a few days.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the new fish is the same size as a two year old female then there is a reasonable chance that it has transitioned into a female as well. If you have two female clownfish in a tank then the chance of anything good coming from it is small. I suggest that you look for other options such as setting up another tank or rehoming one of the two fish. As a side note, you may want to try hand feeding in order to reduce the aggression that is directed toward you. Good luck! :)

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the new fish is the same size as a two year old female then there is a reasonable chance that it has transitioned into a female as well. If you have two female clownfish in a tank then the chance of anything good coming from it is small. I suggest that you look for other options such as setting up another tank or rehoming one of the two fish. As a side note, you may want to try hand feeding in order to reduce the aggression that is directed toward you. Good luck! :)

Thanks! Unfortunately I really don’t have space for another tank (I have five). do you know if any way to safely keep them together or will they 100% kill each other?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Unfortunately I really don’t have space for another tank (I have five). do you know if any way to safely keep them together or will they 100% kill each other?

The chance of two females being successful in a 20g tank is slim.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chance of two females being successful in a 20g tank is slim.

Thank you for your input. I put them side by side and the older fish is definitely at least a half inch larger. Will let you know how it goes. Either way both fishies will be okay— monitoring heavily rn

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, update on the fish! The new guy is very submissive and is tolerating my dominant female, I’m thinking it’s a male or still intersex. Thanks for your help!

That's great! Thanks for the update - the normal developmental progression is juvenile male, male, then female so hopefully you are right that it is either a juvenile male or a male. Keep an eye on them, but that sound good so far!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back