Introducing the Hydros Maven

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems pretty steep to me, the trident is only 675.00 Asking almost double for the Maven ?? I know the Maven does phos and nit but I personally check that once a month takes ten minutes tops ,not something I super worry about and not anything I would pay almost double for.

Edit:
I do not own a trident not sure of the build quality of it and Have been thinking hard about buying one,,,I was actually super excited when i saw the mavan and thought oh man dodge bullet not buying that trident.
I will wait and see if thats the actual price , I own both hydros and neptune systems and Hydros does seem better build quality. But it cant be that much better LOL

Last edited:

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s outside my price range too. I’m sure the new trident will also be around $500 or so making the total for both on the trident side about the same (new that is)

cowfootball

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per SaltwaterAquarium.com Facebook page Hydros has confirmed pricing at $1199
IMG_1074.jpeg

Remember that that's Canadian, so more like $850 USD, which is more in-line with the Trident and Trident NP (of which you'd need both).

Expensive but at least it also has drive and sense ports.

EDIT: whoops, nope, looks like USD

Last edited:

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s outside my price range too. I’m sure the new trident will also be around $500 or so making the total for both on the trident side about the same (new that is)
If it had been out 5 years and all the bugs worked out and was the ONLY game in town maybe they could ask and get that price from me, who knows. I would think they would have done market research on price point. If not there going to get allot of free feedback here on it haha :p

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think there are two different business tactics here. Charge a lot for the Maven and maybe charge less for the reagents. Or who cares and just charge a lot for both. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
This is the old razor blade model, where Gillette would sell the razor at even or loss, and make massive margins on all the blades. I don't think the aquarium controller hobby is big enough to charge a scalp for the proverbial "razor" and "blades," but who knows.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people really test that often for nit and phos ??? If so could you explain why ? Maybe im missing something. Im always down to learn new stuff :)
I was looking solely at the convenience of testing. Part of why I’m so against the price is I don’t test. The only thing tested regularly is PH by my Apex. I haven’t tested anything else for I don’t know…6 months or so? Ever since I set up my all for reef dosing.

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems pretty steep to me, the trident is only 675.00 Asking almost double for the Maven ?? I know the Maven does phos and nit but I personally check that once a month takes ten minutes tops ,not something I super worry about and not anything I would pay almost double for.

Edit:
I do not own a trident not sure of the build quality of it and Have been thinking hard about buying one,,,I was actually super excited when i saw the mavan and thought oh man dodge bullet not buying that trident.
I will wait and see if thats the actual price , I own both hydros and neptune systems and Hydros does seem better build quality. But it cant be that much better LOL
You have to buy 2 different Trident models (likely at the same price) to get the “equivalent” set of tests. With that in mind, the Trident is still priced at a bit more, takes up more real estate, and is harder to clean — also don’t get me started on the reagent and accuracy on the Trident.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people really test that often for nit and phos ??? If so could you explain why ? Maybe im missing something. Im always down to learn new stuff :)

Yes, there are people that do.

• Reason one - let us say the hobbyist is running a ultra low nutrient system. They don't want to go bingo, 0.
  • Reason two - someone has high phosphate, very high, and would like to bring it down, test automation for convience
  • Reason three - someone wants to make a change between being too low or too high and implements dosing for control. This would allow them to see trend vs change for assessment.
  • Reason four - if nutrient mitigation is involved this would let them know their product effectiveness or exhaustion rate (gfo for example).
TL; DR - yeah, plenty of reasons with the primary being quality of life more than likely by saving time. Phosphate and Nitrate probably take a combined 10 minutes from start to end if using Hanna's kits. Having said that daily testing or even twice would give the hobbyist more data points and save them time. Add in controlled dosing and/or logic - it is another tool choice in the box.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

unfortunately.... if pricing goes with what this site has dropped... nope...

I think i'll stick with my hanna's as i only do NO3 + PO4 testing when something in my tank doesn't look right, and not as often to need a automated tester for it.

lso don’t get me started on the reagent and accuracy on the Trident.

ABC Reagents is not bad... its far better cost per test vs a reeflabs or some other tester.

I only think you need to buy the real neptune one, once in a while for calibration solution.
As i am still sort of iffy about using the tank water for calibration like abcreagents says we should do.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think there are two different business tactics here. Charge a lot for the Maven and maybe charge less for the reagents. Or who cares and just charge a lot for both. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
You do realize to test all the Maven test you would have to get both Trident units since the original only test alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. The new Trident only test nitrate and phosphate. The Maven test all 5 of them.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize to test all the Maven test you would have to get both Trident units since the original only test alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. The new Trident only test nitrate and phosphate. The Maven test all 5 of them.

well you also need to add the cost of a Apex unit too.

So you need 3 things to equal what Maven does by itself.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Per SaltwaterAquarium.com Facebook page Hydros has confirmed pricing at $1199
IMG_1074.jpeg

Fake news. They asked someone setting up the booth and the response was "we are thinking in the $1200 range."

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fake news. They asked someone setting up the booth and the response was "we are thinking in the $1200 range."
I mean, if this is at Reefapalooza, I’ll ask Brian tomorrow and report back. CoralVue also has a few presentations and if their reps are willing to respond that’s an easy confirmation or benchmark. Any proper news source always confirms from multiple sources.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure but i never said anything about the trident. I can’t afford either at this point.

CV had an opportunity here to curb the market but they chose the high road. Hope it works out for them.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I mean, if this is at Reefapalooza, I’ll ask Brian tomorrow and report back. CoralVue also has a few presentations and if their reps are willing to respond that’s an easy confirmation or benchmark. Any proper news source always confirms from multiple sources.

They refused to even ballpark it during their video announcement. Why would they say it during RAP setup?

Everyone figured $999-$1200 anyways. So I wouldn’t be surprised. But it isn’t confirmed until Coralvue announces it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back