Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth the wait time. Let Bud know what you have and how you operate your equipment and he'll get you fixed up. Excellent customer service!

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I thought that's what I said - albeit bit more cryptically... ;-)
I guess what I was noting was that if you feed more than 2 cubes/day but have additional filtration in play then it's kind of a co-filtration, and if one is dominant then it's still the "primary", so a system fed say 3 cubes/day with an L2 and maybe a slightly undersized skimmer would be co-filtration, scrubber dominant.

If you fed 6 cubes/day and had one of those uber huge Volcanos or even better a nice tall LifeReef skimmer, plus an L2, then definitely it would be secondary.

APLATN13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RE DC 180 Skimmer, 1.75L of Biopellets and 2 cups of GFO to keep my tank in check.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to see what I need. I have a DSA 105 with a DSA 18 plumbed together. I have about 27 fish total and seeing if i need L4 or L2
I have a RE DC 180 Skimmer, 1.75L of Biopellets and 2 cups of GFO to keep my tank in check.
How much do you feed?

My gut says with that filtration needed for that bioload, go for the L4. You're pretty aggressively stocked, over time the scrubber would likely allow you to back off on the biopellets and GFO

APLATN13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you feed?

My gut says with that filtration needed for that bioload, go for the L4. You're pretty aggressively stocked, over time the scrubber would likely allow you to back off on the biopellets and GFO

At the moment, I feed once a day through auto feeder. Once and a while I will give the fish some seaweed and cubes. That is the main goal to reduce using gfo and biopellets. (as im using twice the amount recommended for my water volume.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended removing my BP reactor and my PS is pulling allot less gunk. I mainly keep the PS for oxygenation and Ph of my water. I'm running the L4 under my heavy bio-loaded, @ 3 cubes, 70G tank. I only run GFO to keep occasional Po4 spikes under control.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that's really well packed.
That's one of the top initial comments I get! I have a place in town that makes custom boxes, and I had them make some custom inserts as well. Beats the pants out of using 30 feet of bubble wrap and a bunch of peanuts. If it weren't for the stretch wrap and small blocks of pink foam board, I'd be all green...

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night at the FedEx hub, 5 minutes before cutoff

IMG_2930.JPG

2x L4s, @jason2459's L8, and an L2. They're not really that fragile but the stickers are super cheap so why not

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I'm having scrubber envy :eek:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost....

Done!

b7e37d48684d43259873656b5104d9c2.jpg

b1a62e701df89906917f4c537cbd1717.jpg

It's actually narrower then the Rev3 L3 i was running which is perfect. Taller and longer of course. It fits right in the spot I was planning for it. It spans the width of the 75g sump I have but the emergency drain doesn't let it slide enough over so still using the "temporary" wood supports. It will just go on the edge with out them but just a little nudge and the ATS will fall in. One of these day's I will have to do something about that so I can remove those wood pieces.

Only complaint I have is the same with the L3 and that's the power cords are too short. Running an extension cord for now. On the rev L3 I spliced in some 14/2 wiring.

Otherwise I really like this design and that I can pull the whole inside out with the screen to clean it all out. I am a bit nervous about the slot pipe just resting in there and made sure it was not being pulled on by the pump so not to be pulled up. Unless I have it together wrong.

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow this triple posted! Guess the forum was excited to have a L8 posted. :D

Last edited:
Back