Invasive macroalgae

Furred Feathered & Finned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the first things I bought for my newbie reef tank was a rock with several mushrooms. It had a tiny piece of this attached. Now it's trying to take over my tank. It's a constant battle to keep it removed and it clings to everything. I am setting up a new tank with a sump and
20200126_103152.jpg
refugium, which this basic tank doesn't have. Should I just scrap the old rock and let it die, or will this get under control once I can manage nitrates and phosphates better? 20200126_103619.jpg

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get rid of it by constantly removing some and keeping a patch of it closer to the light, a kind of algae refugium.
A tang could help too if you have a sufficient sized tank.
And peroxyde works well too, else dip the whole rock or use a syringe

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A naso tang almost certainly will eat that, maybe a rabbitfish too. Not sure how big the tank is. Small Naso's are pretty easy to come by but also unfortunately more fragile then the older ones. I did beat a similar macro with a Naso in the past.

I'm currently trying vibrant to kill another invasive marco after the rabbitfish I added only controls but not eliminates the problem. Too early for me to tell if it's going to work or not but there are so many good things said about the product I have high hopes that it will work out.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the first things I bought for my newbie reef tank was a rock with several mushrooms. It had a tiny piece of this attached. Now it's trying to take over my tank. It's a constant battle to keep it removed and it clings to everything. I am setting up a new tank with a sump and
20200126_103152.jpg
refugium, which this basic tank doesn't have. Should I just scrap the old rock and let it die, or will this get under control once I can manage nitrates and phosphates better? 20200126_103619.jpg
That is bryopsis. Fyi. Disregard it looked very different on my phone.

Last edited:

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that, it's a type of caulerpa.
Know this, when you tear some, if little pieces floats away they WILL regrow so you better be meticulous.
It's not the hardest one to 'remove' luckyly for you.
Another trick, if you let them gros in a thick and compact manner , the bottom part tends to be easyer to seperate from the rock.
Cheers

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is great as a refugium macro but it is aggressive, tangs and fox faces love it. :)
As above, manual removal and grab it as low to the rock as you can.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put the entire rock in your fuge, it's a great macro for that. I bet it has been helping you all along.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back