Invertebrate Only 16G Macro Algae Tank Stocking Ideas

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am getting back into the hobby and want some suggestions on some centerpiece invertebrates that would do well in a 16 gallon macro algae aquarium. I do not want any fish, and I would like to showcase some rarer or more uncommon critters that often do not thrive in fish and coral heavy environments.

Here is the build so far:

-Finnex Planted+ Full Spectrum Light 24"
-Waterbox Clear Mini 16 Tank
-Seachem Tidal 55 Filter
-Eheim Jager 100 Watt heater
-An old Hydor Koralia powerhead from an old FOWLR (not sure if I will need it)
-Tunze Osmolator ATO

I want to run it peninsula style with the filter at the back and to slope the sand bed from very deep towards the back to more shallow towards the front.

Here are invertebrates I am a big fan of (not necessarily for this tank but just to guide suggestions):
-Skunk cleaner shrimp
-Pom Pom Crabs
-Starfish
-Plate Sponges
-Clams (almost assuredly infeasible here but I love them)

In terms of coral I am only really interested in maybe a couple leather corals.

Looking forward to getting back into the hobby :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would skip the sponges - they only really do well in large, established tanks, and even then they are "iffy". Starfish species common in pet stores (red fromia and blue linkia) are also really delicate.

Pom Pom crabs are cute, but they sometimes lose their anemones.

I'd go with a large skunk cleaner shrimp.

Jay

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello!

I am getting back into the hobby and want some suggestions on some centerpiece invertebrates that would do well in a 16 gallon macro algae aquarium. I do not want any fish, and I would like to showcase some rarer or more uncommon critters that often do not thrive in fish and coral heavy environments.

Here is the build so far:

-Finnex Planted+ Full Spectrum Light 24"
-Waterbox Clear Mini 16 Tank
-Seachem Tidal 55 Filter
-Eheim Jager 100 Watt heater
-An old Hydor Koralia powerhead from an old FOWLR (not sure if I will need it)
-Tunze Osmolator ATO

I want to run it peninsula style with the filter at the back and to slope the sand bed from very deep towards the back to more shallow towards the front.

Here are invertebrates I am a big fan of (not necessarily for this tank but just to guide suggestions):
-Skunk cleaner shrimp
-Pom Pom Crabs
-Starfish
-Plate Sponges
-Clams (almost assuredly infeasible here but I love them)

In terms of coral I am only really interested in maybe a couple leather corals.

Looking forward to getting back into the hobby :)
I'd check out pedersen shrimp, they are ornate and pretty. Maybe even a cluster of dancing shrimp.

I'd grab a porcelain crab too, I really like my white porcelains. A type of crab for algae maintenance like a pitho would be needed as well.

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would skip the sponges - they only really do well in large, established tanks, and even then they are "iffy". Starfish species common in pet stores (red fromia and blue linkia) are also really delicate.

Pom Pom crabs are cute, but they sometimes lose their anemones.

I'd go with a large skunk cleaner shrimp.

Jay
The cleaner shrimp is definitely looking like a winner.

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check out pedersen shrimp, they are ornate and pretty. Maybe even a cluster of dancing shrimp.

I'd grab a porcelain crab too, I really like my white porcelains. A type of crab for algae maintenance like a pitho would be needed as well.
My current idea is for a cleaner shrimp, some dancing shrimp, maybe a porcelain and then acquiring a rock flower anemone for the porcelains and dancing shrimp to hang out in in the future.

doogen3421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new to the hobby but was also wanting an invert only tank + anemone, hope you post some pics as you go. Why only 1 cleaner skunk?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%

Back