ION Director - measuring Ca + Mg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wording above is interesting, for KHD you don't need SA dosers, you can have slave + ProfiLux, or a standalone doser (if you use this combo, you lose the ability to historically track your measurements).

I'd think if you had a ProfiLux, you wouldn't need a SA doser, but that is an assumption and definitely conflicts with what the OP said.

The wording is disjunctive and fine. Ie - you can run without a profilux if you have a stand-alone doser.

Randy Treadway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wording above is interesting, for KHD you don't need SA dosers, you can have slave + ProfiLux, or a standalone doser (if you use this combo, you lose the ability to historically track your measurements).

With the new Logging app enhancement that just came out this week, I'm assuming that one is solved (in theory) and they said an even further upgrade is coming soon to write Profilux sensor inputs directly to the logs; hopefully that will include inputs from KHD, both testing and dosing.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be able to run the kh director, the ion director and dose elements with a single sa doser and a slave doser.

Part of the reason the hobby doesn't have this technology yet is because it's expensive. Won't be for everyone that's for sure! Will be the first time to be able to have this type of accuracy though in testing. It will be automated and corrective. Technology is unfortunately expensive. More so in a market that is relatively small (reefkeepers).

If it were only calcium and magnesium I personally would just use my kh director to monitor alk and control all 3 with manual testing of ca and mag every few weeks. Will be interesting to see what other measurements become possible in the future though!

Tbird2101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing keeping me from swapping to GHL is the ability to get rid of most of my power blocks. With GHL ill still have to plug everything in and thats alot of plugs

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this was my point in the other thread. Sounds like it’s going to be a lot more devices and a whole lot more $$$ to do basically the same thing as their ‘competitor’, if you want to call it that.
Which competitor currently has a functioning device that measures all of these accurately? The way things are going these guys might be the first. There is no device that I am aware of existing or in the plans that can be used to control these parameters.

GHL has a proven record with their units. That being said I own a Neptune Apex.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Price point? Any videos or additional data?

Tbird2101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which competitor currently has a functioning device that measures all of these accurately? The way things are going these guys might be the first. There is no device that I am aware of existing or in the plans that can be used to control these parameters.

Well technically speaking none do. Its not like GHL has a working product ready to sell either so I would say anouncing the release is where both companies are right now which seems pretty even to me. I am willing to bet they have both been working on the product for an equal amount of time. Neptune just jumped the gun with its announcement which was an obvious mistake.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the Abex unit looks like it’s similar to the ion director. Lots of interesting stuff coming out these days!

Traian Boala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not forget about Reeffbot. It is also not available yet but it will measure any element that uses liquid reagent. I don't know how many elements can track at one time (it has 8 vials, so depending on the number of reagents per element it can probably monitor arround 4 of them) but at 1000 $ it will be a "cheap" way to monitor your tank. The good part is that it can monitor alk, calcium, magnezium, nitrate and phosphate. The bad part (or not) is that it can not control anything. That being said, GHL is one of the most reliable companies in the reefing comunity and everybody knows that their products are top quality and never fail. We don't know how the reefbot will behave as the company is new.

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So only

So only $2500...

Not quite.

If we want to know the price for measurement (and not to forget: with controlling option!) of KH + Ca + Mg we can do this calculation:

Let's assume - for discussion purposes only - prices not final yet! - that the single unit costs $450, the slave set $800 and the standalone set $850 (like KHD)

Scenario 1: "Brain" is Standalone Doser of the KHD set
KHD Set SA (KHD + Standalone Doser 4 pumps) $850 + Ion Director Set Slave (with Doser 4 pumps) $800 = $1650
This gives you also 3 extra pumps for dosing / controlling.

Scenario 2: "Brain" is an existing ProfiLux 4 (or another Standalone Doser or ProfiLux 3, it doesn't matter, just any master GHL device with PAB)
Then you would only need slave dosers, KHD Set Slave $800 + IOD Set Slave $800 = $1600
There you also will have 3 free pumps for dosing / controlling.

Of course you can have it cheaper and purchase single items with the lowest amount of pumps necessary, then you would save a few bucks but loose the extra pumps for dosing/controlling.

You can construct also much higher prices. E.g. assuming someone buys a P4 + KHD + IOD + Dosers (in case he has no other equipment at the beginning).
But where is the point for that calculation? In this construction you would forget that the ProfiLux system could do a bit more than just KH, Ca, Mg measurement resp. controlling and dosing.

I think this is not a "who is the cheapest?"-contest.

In my opionion the questions are: Does it work at all in the long term, is it reliable and can I use it for controlling or only measuring?
I can answer this only for GHL: Yes.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well technically speaking none do. Its not like GHL has a working product ready to sell either so I would say anouncing the release is where both companies are right now which seems pretty even to me. I am willing to bet they have both been working on the product for an equal amount of time. Neptune just jumped the gun with its announcement which was an obvious mistake.

Technically speaking GHL already released the KH director which means they have a working product for one of the measurements with control also where Neptune System is still testing the three.

GHL is now announcing at least a Calcium and Mg testing with control also.

Last edited:

DTE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not forget about Reeffbot. It is also not available yet but it will measure any element that uses liquid reagent. I don't know how many elements can track at one time (it has 8 vials, so depending on the number of reagents per element it can probably monitor arround 4 of them) but at 1000 $ it will be a "cheap" way to monitor your tank. The good part is that it can monitor alk, calcium, magnezium, nitrate and phosphate. The bad part (or not) is that it can not control anything. That being said, GHL is one of the most reliable companies in the reefing comunity and everybody knows that their products are top quality and never fail. We don't know how the reefbot will behave as the company is new.

Reefbot is available already. Several people already own it and are running it.

Tbird2101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite.

If we want to know the price for measurement (and not to forget: with controlling option!) of KH + Ca + Mg we can do this calculation:

Let's assume - for discussion purposes only - prices not final yet! - that the single unit costs $450, the slave set $800 and the standalone set $850 (like KHD)

Scenario 1: "Brain" is Standalone Doser of the KHD set
KHD Set SA (KHD + Standalone Doser 4 pumps) $850 + Ion Director Set Slave (with Doser 4 pumps) $800 = $1650
This gives you also 3 extra pumps for dosing / controlling.

Scenario 2: "Brain" is an existing ProfiLux 4 (or another Standalone Doser or ProfiLux 3, it doesn't matter, just any master GHL device with PAB)
Then you would only need slave dosers, KHD Set Slave $800 + IOD Set Slave $800 = $1600
There you also will have 3 free pumps for dosing / controlling.

Of course you can have it cheaper and purchase single items with the lowest amount of pumps necessary, then you would save a few bucks but loose the extra pumps for dosing/controlling.

You can construct also much higher prices. E.g. assuming someone buys a P4 + KHD + IOD + Dosers (in case he has no other equipment at the beginning).
But where is the point for that calculation? In this construction you would forget that the ProfiLux system could do a bit more than just KH, Ca, Mg measurement resp. controlling and dosing.

I think this is not a "who is the cheapest?"-contest.

In my opionion the questions are: Does it work at all in the long term, is it reliable and can I use it for controlling or only measuring?
I can answer this only for GHL: Yes.

Fair enough, if you are just talking about monitoring those 3 elements $1600 but most of us are looking at this as a conversion from the "competitor" so we dont have existing equipment. Compare that to the alternative $1400 to monitor those 3 elements which includes there best controller. Granted they wont have dosing as an option out the gate and you will which is a plus but that will come for the alternative in the future. That being said I am still considering the swap based of your reputation. Your product is second to none imo, but comes at a price, and that price is cold hard cash, and lots of it. Lol

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy3.gif

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back