Is 10G reef tank possible?

zpederson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra 10G tank that I was thinking of converting to a reef tank. I know this may make water stability harder but I'm wondering what you all think of it? Maybe just a single live rock with a couple coral and 1-2 fish. Thoughts on if this is worth trying?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go much smaller as well, reef vase. These are like 1-3 gallons and have no fish, may an invert or to. Trick is doing large water changes every few days and keeping easy corals.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nanonovember182019.jpg

This is my 10 gallon nano. Soft corals only, cheapo led light. One powerhead, one heater (both covered by that pile of macro algae) and that's it. I occasionally run that power filter on the left but it's typically off. I have 2 small clowns as well as 3 or 4 sexy shrimp.

This is my easiest tank but I make it easy. Whenever I feel like it I change anywhere from 10-75% of the water. I say this because once a week I am doing water changes on other tanks so I simply recycle some water from another tank and it ends up in here. If the 10 gallon is your only tank then I would recommend at least some basic testing, but this size tank makes it real easy to just do a weekly water change to replace trace elements.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely possible! I have a 10 gal rock nem breeding tank, a 10 gallon rock nem display, and a 2.6 gallon softie tank.
My biggest problem is what I’m going to do about top off when I go on vacation lol
Also, algae gets out of hand fast with smaller tanks so stay on top of it if you see it.

I have 1 all in one 10 gal and 1 stock 10 gallon. The all in one is easy to filter and use but the stock one is a little harder. I keep on top of nutrients so I don’t use skimmers in either. All I use for filtration in both is some coarse and super fine filter pads that I buy in sheets and cut down to fit. Personally I like the challenge of 10 gal and under.

Holyreeftankaquaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly.....i think you can probably run a reef tank in a tofu container. It would be a bit hard but doable. I ran a 5 gallons for a few months while in between tanks. No fish though.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly.....i think you can probably run a reef tank in a tofu container. It would be a bit hard but doable. I ran a 5 gallons for a few months while in between tanks. No fish though.
That’s the drawback with small tanks-I have a single fish in each one and it’s kinda boring. Although I will be putting some sexy shrimp in with the 2.6

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra 10G tank that I was thinking of converting to a reef tank. I know this may make water stability harder but I'm wondering what you all think of it? Maybe just a single live rock with a couple coral and 1-2 fish. Thoughts on if this is worth trying?
when I got back into reefing in 08 I got a Fluval Spec 5 gal and yea way more work mostly topping off and checking for Alk drops but totally doable. It wont last long though they fill up too quick. its like a awesome disease you give yourself over and over and you gotta just keep upgrading. I would like to do a small 5-10 gal with just zoa or mushrooms

OP
OP
zpederson

zpederson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nanonovember182019.jpg

This is my 10 gallon nano. Soft corals only, cheapo led light. One powerhead, one heater (both covered by that pile of macro algae) and that's it. I occasionally run that power filter on the left but it's typically off. I have 2 small clowns as well as 3 or 4 sexy shrimp.

This is my easiest tank but I make it easy. Whenever I feel like it I change anywhere from 10-75% of the water. I say this because once a week I am doing water changes on other tanks so I simply recycle some water from another tank and it ends up in here. If the 10 gallon is your only tank then I would recommend at least some basic testing, but this size tank makes it real easy to just do a weekly water change to replace trace elements.
What kind of substrate would you recommend? Looks like you use sand? I also plan on getting a few clowns. Would you recommend against hard coral in this small of a tank?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of substrate would you recommend? Looks like you use sand? I also plan on getting a few clowns. Would you recommend against hard coral in this small of a tank?

I would recommend no substrate. All of my tanks are bare bottom except this nano. It has a thin thin layer of sugar sized sand. I really am not a sand bed fan unless you need it to keep a certain creature. I just wanted to have one tank with a shallow sand bed for the heck of it.

You can keep hard corals in a 10 gallon but then you have to keep a closer eye on your parameters and depending on how many and what type a weekly water change may not be enough to replenish calcium / alkalinity ect.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nanonovember182019.jpg

What are the filter, powerhead, and light that you use? I am planning to convert my currently unused 10 gallon to a nano reef and have been debating what equipment to use. So any advice would be much appreciated.

HonorableWhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely possible! I have a 10 gal rock nem breeding tank, a 10 gallon rock nem display, and a 2.6 gallon softie tank.
My biggest problem is what I’m going to do about top off when I go on vacation lol
Also, algae gets out of hand fast with smaller tanks so stay on top of it if you see it.

I have 1 all in one 10 gal and 1 stock 10 gallon. The all in one is easy to filter and use but the stock one is a little harder. I keep on top of nutrients so I don’t use skimmers in either. All I use for filtration in both is some coarse and super fine filter pads that I buy in sheets and cut down to fit. Personally I like the challenge of 10 gal and under.
Hey, what do you use to light your 10g rock nem tank? And whats stocked in it?

Im planning to do a rock nem 10g as well. Have it cycling rn

Attachments

• 20211102_201909.jpg
    20211102_201909.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 80

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BAE7B031-15E2-4E97-AC99-661A460C3DA7.jpeg

I just called it my “Clown Eater.” It got expensive, watching it gobble up fish like hors d’oeuvres, I will say that. As best I know it was just a run-of-the-mill carpet anemone… Although I think some people refer to it as an “elephant ear.” (?)

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0C307BB5-C4E5-4E8C-BB4D-2E8EAFBCB603.jpeg
5078E49A-C13F-4D81-9F04-8172BA4CD7C0.jpeg
D9206EA6-E928-473E-9829-0C608B29B14D.jpeg
This was my Nuvo ten gallon. Awesome little reef. The key to keeping it stable is A GOOD ATO. Had it running for over two years before I upgraded to a larger aquarium.
What ATO did/do you use? I’m interested in getting one for my 10 gallon and one for my 55 gallon. I don’t mind paying for quality, but I’d like to avoid throwing away money on an inflated brand, if I can help it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back