Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feed 5 for 28 fish

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 120 I have 15 fish and feed 8 cubes but no other food goes into my system. Tanks 27 months old.
6 blue green chromis
2 percula
2 blue eyed anthias
1 pajama cardinal
1 filefish
1 pixi hawk
1 Tomini tang
1 convict tang
No3 runs <5
Po4 <.1 with gfo.
I run an over size skimmer, Tunze 9430dc, and a 7" filter sock.
I am going to bring a algae scrubber online soon to replace the gfo.
20210809_140017.jpg
do you run your gfo through a reactor or passively?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 17 cubes for my tanks about every 3 days or so. I defrost 8 cubes of the "Saltwater multi-pack" (2 of each food) 3 cubes each of Mysis, brine, and plankton, and a good fat pinch of Marine flake food, in a mason jar and store it in the fridge. I add a tablespoon to the 32g, 2 Tbs to the 55, and 3 Tbs to the 180g twice daily. The fish eat all I add and are all happy and healthy.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the 32 holds 4 fish, the 55 holds 14 fish, and the 180 holds 8 medium sized fish.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you run your gfo through a reactor or passively?
Passively in a mesh bag tossed into my filter sock.
I had a small aquamax reactor but it was not keeping up.
Looking to install a turf scrubber.
I have just enough room for a rain2 or a aquatic guyz 250.
I have a bubble Max large FR that I ran for 2 months. I just prefer socks and will sell the FR to purchase a Turf scrubber.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thawing out my frozen cubes today and began to think I go through cubes like they are going out of business. I have 15 fish and feed 4 in the morning and 4 at night.

What does everyone else feeding look like? Is 8 cubes a day normal?
Just think about their belly size. Your feeding is almost half a cube per fish and I think that is too much.
Phosphates are 1.8

All SPS are good, great polyp extension.
That phosphate looks high but the corals are happy so who cares.

r4rlee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thawing out my frozen cubes today and began to think I go through cubes like they are going out of business. I have 15 fish and feed 4 in the morning and 4 at night.

I am new to all this and learning myself but yeah that seems like a lot of food to me

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1. Frozen foods are mostly water.
2. It would be nice to know what kind of fish, and what kind of cubes.
3. I do not think its 'too much'. If they are eating it all.

PS if you already answered these questions - sorry - I cant see all of the posts for some reason?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That just seems crazy. I dont feed frozen often and I only feed about a 2 inch by barely 2 inch chunk of lrs to 12 fish and 5 of them are over 5" and that creates literally a tornado of food all over a 160 gallon tank .
Curious - do you mean a 2x2 chunk? Thats about what I feed. 2x/day - and to me thats more than 4 cubes - which are 90% water. But again - it depends on the brand - also if thats all you're feeding (i.e. cubes). Dry or pellet foods need far less

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just think about their belly size. Your feeding is almost half a cube per fish and I think that is too much.

Isn't most of a 'cube' water? (Depending on the type)? I guess in re-thinking it - and re-reading some of the posts (which I somehow can now see) - I look at it this way - fish on the reef eat what they want when they want. They stop when they are 'full'. IMHO, the way to tell if its enough or too much is is there food left over after feeding. IMHO - we feed too little. Which is probably why very few fish get anywhere near their size in aquaria than in the wild. I have watched my copper band butterfly literally eat a cube sized piece of food alone in 4 minutes. (I do not thaw the food before adding to the tank)

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I only feed frozen once every couple weeks , rest of the time it's a mix of nls pellets . Regal angel hides when theres frozen food in water it rather eat pellets lol. I just meant a 2x2 chunk definatley fills all the fish I had and yea I would say that's equal to 2 or 3 cubes for sure . So another 5 cubes for that stock lidt seems excessive that's all

Darwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large tang
Blue hippo
2 black storms
Spotted mandarin
Possum wrasse
2 damsel
Royal gramma
Green watchmen
Barnacle blenny
Circus goby and 2 cleaners

I feed 2 cubes of brine daily, and a cocktail of brine, LRS and fish eggs twice a week. I thaw it out in ab+. Fish and corals are a lot happier then when I was only feeding frozen twice a week with reefroids and pellets daily. Sometimes I feel like it’s not enough since my blue hippo destroys feeding time. Nutrient levels have been in check since feeding frozen daily, more filter sock changes tho lol

jairus45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha my fish would be pretty upset if that's all I fed them. I make my own food and feed a mix of mussels, prawns, scallops and fish.
Fish list
2 clowns
2 chromis
1 lennardi wrasse
1 red tail filefish
1 bristletooth tang
1 convict tang
3 stripeys
1 cleaner wrasse
1 foxface
3 glass cardinals
This is their daily feed , I do however run very low nutrients so I'm able to feed this heavy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210930-111900_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930-111900_Gallery.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 27

AKA Reef Team

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 34 fish in our 1000L system, including 20 lightning double bar chromis & 5 tang—among others. We prep a feeding batch that’s a variety of 8-10 cubes & lasts us 4 feedings (2 feedings per day). We also provide 2 clips worth of nori at each feeding.

A crucial part of our success has been the enormously oversized AquaMaxx CO-6 skimmer. It was so powerful, in fact, that adding fish was a necessary part of sustaining NO3 for the corals

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Make your own and save a ton of money, if you wish to and your system can handle that much food make your own.
I spent roughly $30 5 months ago, I bought a bag of muscles, a bag of shrimp and some scallops, I used a Ninja mixer and mini ice cube trays to make the cubes. I still have a months worth in my fish freezer and still have parts of those bags in my freezer.

Yeah it's a little work, but I'd rather the savings in my pocket than someone else's.
What other spices go in the mix .

Back