Is a controller something that should not be used?

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my aquarium controller used and haven't had any issues. There is always a risk that a used product will fail, so the more history you can get on the product the better. What controller are you looking at getting?

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical failure rates of any electronic device don't decay that rapidly with time, pending the age of the device. Most electronic devices are prone to infant mortality type failures, sustain for quite some time, then start running into end of life issues (bathtub curve). This is true for most consumer products without mechanisms to wear. So if you were looking at like an Apex brain, I'd be comfortable. If you're looking at a power bar, there are more mechanisms / moving parts to degrade over time (relays) which is the nature of any product like it. I have purchased both used, at reasonable prices, understanding that I am accepting some risk of the part failing early. Both were fine. I upgraded the base unit, but am still using the EB8 after a couple of years.

Which unit are you looking at?

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical failure rates of any electronic device don't decay that rapidly with time, pending the age of the device. Most electronic devices are prone to infant mortality type failures, sustain for quite some time, then start running into end of life issues (bathtub curve). This is true for most consumer products without mechanisms to wear. So if you were looking at like an Apex brain, I'd be comfortable. If you're looking at a power bar, there are more mechanisms / moving parts to degrade over time (relays) which is the nature of any product like it. I have purchased both used, at reasonable prices, understanding that I am accepting some risk of the part failing early. Both were fine. I upgraded the base unit, but am still using the EB8 after a couple of years.

Which unit are you looking at?
Awesome answer I love how you took the time to explain the "why?" Thanks!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used controllers are probably one of the least likely items to fail. I picked up a Reef Angel + about 18 months ago for $125; been great :)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you purchase from a reputable person. I've purchased used electronics that ran for me for years with no issue including controllers. Just do your homework;)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be so worried of the electronic as much as the probes. If it were me i would contact the manufacturer or see if anyone sells new probes for it.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be so worried of the electronic as much as the probes. If it were me i would contact the manufacturer or see if anyone sells new probes for it.
This^
Also, its really just the hardware anyway, which are all built very well, these companies all use pretty reputable cloud / web services/ servers for the main work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back