Is an Anemone a good idea?

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g tank that’s been up for a little over a year at this point. The only corals I have are some assorted zoas, xenia, gsp, and some mushrooms. I had an anemone once before, and it was short lived since I was new to the hobby and inexperienced. I really loved the way my clowns interacted with it, and wanted to see if it was a good idea to try again. The tank’s fully established, but I’ve heard horror stories of anemones going around the tank killing corals, eating smaller fish, and even nuking the tank after wondering into the power head. I wanted to see if anyone had any experiences or recommendations on anemones that are less prone to moving around or causing problems. Any help is appreciated!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love anemones. The easiest are bubbletips. Anemones typically don't move once they are happy imo.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once introduced they do own the tank. They may wander. If a BTA eats a fish though, it was dying anyway.

Yeah the only one I'd be worried about eating fish would be carpet anemones. A bubbletip killing a fish would be like a dog flying a plane lol

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a cheap anemone 5 years ago, my clowns love it. It split into 2 both of my clown's are hosting both individually.
Do research on anemone behaviour, it will help you in the long run

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think bubble tips should have there own tank
If you have a lovely tank full of corals the anemones up set the coral moving about and chemical war between the corals and anemones
I have a couple of just anemones tanks and no problem I don’t even mix anemone species

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flowers anemone are also cool don't move as much. I have a bubble tip that moved all over but now found its home. If you don't have any high end corals it could be good to get one let it move around for few months. Spoiler my clowns don't touch it they like the top corner pf my tank.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are great, they can move anytime, but usually don’t move once settled. The only one I’d worry about eating fish are haddoni and if clowns are living in them even that’s unlikely as they’ll keep other fish away.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a bubble tip eat a fish or nuke a tank. There is always a risk one may move but mine have been where they are now for a few years.
I lost fish to a haddoni in the past. I currently keep a blue haddoni in one tank with no issues. The tank is smaller and has less active fish with a clarkii hosting in the nem. My haddoni have not moved once placed.
I also have rock flower nems. They are cool and come in some beautiful colors and I have not had one move. I did get to witness a spawn once which was cool.

Rock flowers
20230906_185542.jpg

Bubble tips
20230725_182150.jpg

Blue haddoni
20230913_203426.jpg

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a tank of rock flower anemones for about 10 months now, and they're great. Easy, colorful, peaceful and mostly unmoving once settled. That being said, Clown fish will not host them, and shouldn't, because they aren't species that live in the same ocean together.
I keep rock flowers in my heavily coral-stocked tank and I'm not at all worried about them. I also put the rock flowers in after the tank was only a few months old.

Now on the other hand, I have a relatively newly acquired and rather large black widow BTA, and the tank it went into was 2 yrs old and had very few corals. I knew I was more or less giving the top of the tank to the anemone, and I'm going to drop some easy, colorful things like zoas and acans on the lower levels. Things I can either move, or I wouldn't be too annoyed with losing.

As for the being sucked into power head part - I never want that to happen, so I purchased a nem guard for my powerhead. If it ever detaches to float around, the worst that could happen is it gets stuck against the outside - unharmed. I do have to keep the guard clean or it'll stifle flow, but that's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

This video a couple of weeks after It settled does it no justice, and I ended up moving those zoas down to the bottom rocks. Some of them stayed since they'd grown off the plug, and they're strangely doing fine.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to see out of your tank

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a tank of rock flower anemones for about 10 months now, and they're great. Easy, colorful, peaceful and mostly unmoving once settled. That being said, Clown fish will not host them, and shouldn't, because they aren't species that live in the same ocean together.
I keep rock flowers in my heavily coral-stocked tank and I'm not at all worried about them. I also put the rock flowers in after the tank was only a few months old.

Now on the other hand, I have a relatively newly acquired and rather large black widow BTA, and the tank it went into was 2 yrs old and had very few corals. I knew I was more or less giving the top of the tank to the anemone, and I'm going to drop some easy, colorful things like zoas and acans on the lower levels. Things I can either move, or I wouldn't be too annoyed with losing.

As for the being sucked into power head part - I never want that to happen, so I purchased a nem guard for my powerhead. If it ever detaches to float around, the worst that could happen is it gets stuck against the outside - unharmed. I do have to keep the guard clean or it'll stifle flow, but that's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

This video a couple of weeks after It settled does it no justice, and I ended up moving those zoas down to the bottom rocks. Some of them stayed since they'd grown off the plug, and they're strangely doing fine.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to see out of your tank
Good advice. I put my BTAs on an "island" with space below earmarked for zoas/palys. So far, they have stayed at the top of their island, knock on wood. Give them good light, some flow and separation was the idea.
PXL_20231021_004638454.MP.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back