Is anyone familiar with the Red Bandtail Waspfish?

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off subject, but anyone see the two lions in DD today? @michellejy

I want the colored fu!

Yes! I am so ready for my predator tank NOW...

Um, I mean, I am totally not getting a predator tank. Planning a new tank when I haven't even put a single fish into the current tank is ridiculous.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I am so ready for my predator tank NOW...

Um, I mean, I am totally not getting a predator tank. Planning a new tank when I haven't even put a single fish into the current tank is ridiculous.

Yeah, that's just silly. I got one running, one sitting, and am looking at another. Wife thinks I'm nuts!

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's just silly. I got one running, one sitting, and am looking at another. Wife thinks I'm nuts!

I am opting not to mention the plans to my husband...er, non-existent plans.

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So are you thinking of getting the DD stuff today since you have a tank just sitting? :D

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't that impressed with the color of the fuzzy. The tank sitting isn't ready. It's used, acrylic, and needs buffed. Then set up.

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't that impressed with the color of the fuzzy. The tank sitting isn't ready. It's used, acrylic, and needs buffed. Then set up.

I was hoping for something really cool looking too. I couldn't get it, but it is nice to know options for future reference.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.png

This is the fuzzy from yesterday.

If they aren't on the DD site they are sold. To go back and see them, check your email that says they are listed. Look through and find the fish and click on it. It will pop up, most likely with a sold tag on it.

John Stuckey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Referring back to my problem getting my waspfish to eat frozen: still no luck. My tank also has an orchid dottyback, a solar wrasse, and a large skunk cleaner shrimp - those three are voracious and grab everything that I try to put down close to my waspy. I made a stealth stick but the darn shrimp steals everything off of it. The waspy doesn't help matters, no assertiveness at all. A few days ago I bought 20 small live feeder guppies from Pet Supermarket and put a few in the tank every day. To my surprise, the dottyback, wrasse, and even cleaner shrimp attacked and ate these fish (heck even my pom pom crab fought over them and my flower anemones caught several). Happily, my waspy caught at least 2 of those as well so she's not starving. She's very active at night and I can find her in various places around the tank but hides most of the day in a couple key spots.

Can anyone point me to anything online about weaning a fish from live to frozen?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best place I know of for discussion on weaning is LL.

Could've you try a trap? Place it over the fish and feed him personally? Maybe a cut off 2 liter bottle.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my guy (who needs a name, so I can stop calling him that!):

I mentioned before he had lost some of his brilliant red color, but that turned out to be temporary and just a function of his color changing ability. To my delight, he's as bright red as you can get about 80% of the time, a mix of red and white 10% of the time, and almost entirely white the other 10%, usually when he is trying to blend in with his pvc pipe.

Not wanting to foul up the QT tank, I haven't tried a lot of different foods, but so far, he likes mysis, spirulina brine, and meaty chunks from a marine cuisine type food I used once or twice. I suspect he would take any frozen meaty item that is small enough and moving; once the food is still, he loses interest. He still does best with the food right in front of his face, but I have gotten him to move a little towards it, and I think he hunts around the tank when I am not around to catch the mysis that gets away from my pipette during feeding sessions. I feed him just a few pieces a day, and I skip a day about once a week (mostly due to inconvenience, but probably good for him).

He is now done with his solo QT and has joined some other fish for tank transfers (TTM). We're a few days in, and he's doing great with his tankmates: a group of resplendent anthias, a fairy wrasse, and a high-fin red banded goby. The goby huddled up with him yesterday in the few minutes it took me to catch everyone and transfer them to a new tank, which gave me a scare, but nothing came of it. The goby and wasp are destined for two different display tanks, but of course I don't want any trouble for the goby during tank transfers. Having tankmates has made the waspfish less shy, and now he hangs out in the open more, rather than hiding in pvc most of the time. It's really nice to look over and see him out with other fish swimming around; it gives me a preview of what's to come in the display. I was worried I spent $80 on something I might never see once it's in my 72g, but I no longer think that. He does, of course, stay in one spot for hours on end, but I never expected him to be a swimming fish.

I'll post again once he's made it to the display, which is in its very early days and just has bare rock and a couple of fish so far. He'll have plenty of time to learn his way around and get comfortable before there are loads of fish in there, which there eventually will be. I plan to stock heavily, but I'm doing it slowly and with full QT on everything, so it'll take some time.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome update! Thanks!

*cough*and any pictures you'd want to throw my way would be happily used*cough*

*cough*

I must have pneumonia.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back