Is anyone familiar with the Red Bandtail Waspfish?

John Stuckey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1461811374.495501.jpg
I went out and caught her in the act. As soon as the light hit her she hopped over to the rock, flattened herself against it, and raised her spines.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that a couple of you have them, is there anything I should know before getting one? Any pros or cons?

The only con so far is that he sits in the same spot without doing anything till meal time, but I kind of expected that. Mine is in a bare-bottom QT with just a few PVC pipes, so he may move a little more in a normal tank setting. His mohawk and the adorable slurping up of mysis (and now spirulina brine shrimp, too; yay!) make him a cool fish, nonetheless. He sees the shrimp "swimming" (a little water sucked in/out of the feeding pipette creates movement), waits for it to come down in front of his face, then sucks it down in a split second. I'm going to see if I can train him to come a short distance to the food soon, because I don't think putting it directly in front of his face will work once he's in a 72g tank with other fish. He recognizes the pipette now and gets excited for meal time; today, he tried to bite at brine shrimp through the plastic, then realized he had to wait for it to come out of tube.

Well, I bought the last one off of Divers Den! I purchased it on Thursday so they shipped Monday and it came Tuesday. She is not as colorful as some of the others but I think her white face is beautiful with the dark stripe coming down over her eye. She is at least 2 inches long with a large head. Reminds me of a little bulldog. I'll try to get a photo soon.

Mine has become less colorful since I posted a photo of him looking super red, because he's trying to blend in with the white PVC tubes in his QT tank. Once he's in my display, I'll see where he likes to hang out and place red coral in that space. I expect that will do a lot to redden him back up and might work for yours, too.

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my 2nd quarantine is nearly ammonia free, so I am keeping an eye out now. :)

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting one of these fish when I saw them on DD. I'll wait until I get my 40B up and running. Then I can take down my grow out tub and make room for a QT.

John Stuckey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen my band tail waspfish eat since she arrived on Monday (5 days). Getting nervous. I thought DiversDen fish came already weaned to frozen. Any ideas?

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the description on the one you bought say it was eating frozen?

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see it!

I ended up buying a yasha goby pair that will be here tomorrow. Now that I have it in my head that my next tank will be a predator tank, my little cube was my only option to have a shrimp/goby pair. (I will likely kick myself over this.)

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is excited to eat frozen, but I literally have to put the food in front of his face. I haven't been successful in getting him to move more than a few centimeters to catch a piece, but I'll keep trying.

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is excited to eat frozen, but I literally have to put the food in front of his face. I haven't been successful in getting him to move more than a few centimeters to catch a piece, but I'll keep trying.
Well, would you move if someone would put the food right in your face? He is getting you trained :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back