AquariumDani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my tank too dirty? What do I add for a CUC? I have 3 mexican turbo snails, 4 astrea, 1 nassatrius (idk) snail, I had 1 tiger conch but I haven't seen him in a week.
My corals and fish seem happy and my corals are open and growing pretty quickly.

Parameters:
Alk: 9.2dKH
Cal: 400ppm
Mg: 1080ppm
Ammonia: 0
Nitrie: .1ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

What do I do to get the levels more in check?
IMG_6137.HEIC.jpeg
IMG_6137.HEIC.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some members with 80+ nitrates and all is fine, reef tank
Is my tank too dirty? What do I add for a CUC? I have 3 mexican turbo snails, 4 astrea, 1 nassatrius (idk) snail, I had 1 tiger conch but I haven't seen him in a week.
My corals and fish seem happy and my corals are open and growing pretty quickly.

Parameters:
Alk: 9.2dKH
Cal: 400ppm
Mg: 1080ppm
Ammonia: 0
Nitrie: .1ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

What do I do to get the levels more in check?
IMG_6137.HEIC.jpeg
IMG_6137.HEIC.jpeg

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have any Nitrite. It suggests either a large nutrient spike or you're not fully cycled.

With a young, fully cycled tank, regular water changes should be enough to keep everything in check.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since 1/9. I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks. I test with red sea

OK, so it is a young tank. Slow down a bit, and keep up with husbandry. Regular water changes as mentioned above. Everything will be ok with time.
Can you get a pic with white light?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is probably a test kit error... they have a wide range.

I would get the nitrates down to below 5 and around 1 is best. You will see some tanks with higher than 20, but they are outliers and the critical mass of people have success with lower numbers.

If you want better algae control, then get an Urchin. Pincushion from Florida Keys are the best for me. They will eat Coralline once the "soft" algae is gone, so maybe best to wait until you are growing it like crazy.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us what type of lighting are you using & light cycle? For additions to your CUC, I would add a brittle sea star & some hermit crabs. A shrimp will also help in cleaning up uneaten foods.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using reef crystals from instant ocean. I'm using an AI Prime HD, and I'm using their signature David Saxby light cycle.

With reef crystals and 20% changes, your mag should be about 1350 or so not 1080...maybe your testing is flawed

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your input does not exceed your output capability and you should be fine.

I would do as JDA suggested and get the nitrate a little lower. If you choose to leave them where they are and are seeing a little algae then get a pincushion urchin. He will have your rocks looking like they were bleached in about a week or so.

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I think your tank looks great for a two month old tank! I would make very, very minor changes.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Red Sea test for magnesium always drives me crazy. I can never get consistent results. I switched to Salifert and I also use reef crystals. My Mg ru s at 1350.

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is probably a test kit error... they have a wide range.

I would get the nitrates down to below 5 and around 1 is best. You will see some tanks with higher than 20, but they are outliers and the critical mass of people have success with lower numbers.

If you want better algae control, then get an Urchin. Pincushion from Florida Keys are the best for me. They will eat Coralline once the "soft" algae is gone, so maybe best to wait until you are growing it like crazy.

I disagree with this, Ive see more thriving successful tanks with higher nutrients than those owned by people who go out of their way to keep them low.

Mine were low without me trying and once dino forced me to actively bring them up my tank is happier than ever. 20 no3 is just fine. In fact no3 is probably the least important parameter. Just let it find its place naturally and as long as it's not 0 and not crazy high, don't worry about it.

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with this, Ive see more thriving successful tanks with higher nutrients than those owned by people who go out of their way to keep them low.

Mine were low without me trying and once dino forced me to actively bring them up my tank is happier than ever. 20 no3 is just fine. In fact no3 is probably the least important parameter. Just let it find its place naturally and as long as it's not 0 and not crazy high, don't worry about it.
I agree with you but there is a big difference between a thriving reef with high nitrate vs a brand new reef with high nitrate. If nitrate is high and the coral just isn’t there to outcompete the algae......then algae may become problematic.

Back