Is galvanized safe for salt mixing/storage?

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galvanizing is a process of adding a zinc coating to the steel to make it corrosion resistant. If you use it to store fresh water, you will be fine. But salt water is highly corrosive and you will likely have zinc issues with your water if mixed in a galvanized container. The galvanizing process is also not perfect, and the steel beneath would eventually form pin hole rust spots. Even most cheaper stainless steels cannot survive salt water. Only the best 316 stainless can withstand saltwater.

I wouldn’t let a tub like that come in contact with salt water for sure. Use a plastic container for a mixing station. It’s much safer.

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tub only holds 40 gallons. You can get a Rubbermaid bin that holds more water, for cheaper, and has a smaller footprint, along with being taller (more accessible for mixing). I’m not sure what kind of deal you’re getting on the bin, but alongside the corrosion drawbacks already mentioned, I definitely wouldn’t use this.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, that's what I was thinking.

I thought he was talking about a plastic one when he first mentioned it, then showed me a pic.

I'll definitely be going the plastic route

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking about setting up a mixing station and my boss offered to sell me a galvanized water bin like this

"CountyLine Oval Galvanized Stock Tank, 2 ft. W x 4 ft. L x 1 ft. H, WT214 at Tractor Supply Co." https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...Rj28kFn7aM-I-kuWnCGoZ89WCGXqzzCwaAuLTEALw_wcB

Would this be safe for mixing/storing or would the salt cause problems with galvanized?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back