Is Indonesia Ban going to lift?

Aldemirgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was a meeting between the Minister of Marine Affairs and Fishery of Indonesia and AKKII - Indonesia about coral trade.
they are released the summary of meeting on their facebook page and mentions about to "time is needed to evaluate the previous policy....”.
so what you guys thinking do we have chance to get Indonesia lift the ban?

74834765_2587583074655274_7404646239620300800_n.jpg

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a boring day research this whole trainwreck via Google

A lot of articles I read basically said there are too many people heading up the Ban....that it's nearly impossible to say who has authority over who. Think of our own Congress but on a 3rd World level :eek:

A Chairman person can declare smthg in a press released statement.... only for a different Chairman Figurehead to reverse the statement.

Too many supervisors and not enough workers.

Read what you want into this.... but it's my guess someone else with trump it and the ban continues.

One particular article said there is a desperate need for their Government to put a single Committee in charge to oversee everything and make FINAL uncontested decisions. Apparently any decision can be over turned by lots of people who have a say in the matter.

Clear as mud? Huh?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking pretty promising for a lift on the ban. New elected officials in Indo are more business driven and plans for industrial expansion are being talked about. That includes the reviewing of the Indo fisheries, marine ornamentals and mariculture exporting.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not know...
The other thread on the election has him making a statement on how he was going on carry on the policies of previous administration..
I was hopeful till I read that.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ban should be in place for life. The way that Indonesia decimated the reefs is unfathomable.
Let me know if you think these MARICULTURE areas look decimated to you.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlled & sustainable collections with more movement leaning towards aqua culture farming. I think what we're witnessing is the ratio of mass collections (legal or illegal) out weighs the time it takes for corals to reproduce itself in the wild. I do believe there's more dead corals in captivity than growing out & spreading itself in the wild.

This might drive coral fragging even more expensive 'cause there's tons of reasons for greedy sellers, an excuse to say "Limited Edition" supply.

Climate changes & human created pollutions makes it an even more grave concern looking forward.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think the ban should stay in place, the damage is done. Even if the ban is lifted, prices will take years to drop back to there pre-ban levels if they ever do.
That's the thing.... when prices are raised, it sets a precedent.

Say your favorite steak at Outback is $14.95

Say there is a shortage were Outback raises your steak to $19.95

I do not believe any Outback would revert back to $14.95 pricing just bc the shortage got remedied.

Just sayin'

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointed and Sad that I clicked this post. I Reef and hang on here so I DON"T HAVE TO HEAR THIS STUFF. Hang at my lfs cause it is like the only place I can go anymore where I don't have to listen to someone telling me what I can say and what I should think, how I should act Or how I should vote. Just wanna Reef.. Guess that's shot now. Be careful what you wish for people can find other places to hang where they don't get lectured by the people who know Everything. Peace Out

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not believe any Outback would revert back to $14.95 pricing just bc the shortage got remedied.

Just sayin'
But that’s one retailer. Indonesia has multiple suppliers with many retailers ready to buy from them. Certainly the suppliers could see prices higher than they were selling for before and raise prices. They’ve also been unable to really generate much revenue for years so likely will just be happy to be exporting again. Plus the amount they have there will be plenty of buyers of which many will be happy to undercut each other a bit I’m sure.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Just sayin'

You are right though a precedent has been set but I think prices would still come down some.
Basic economics.. Supply goes up and demand stays the same prices would come down.

I do not think we would see 14.95 again but I think that the stuff selling now for 700.00 a head would come down.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right though a precedent has been set but I think prices would still come down some.
Basic economics.. Supply goes up and demand stays the same prices would come down.

I do not think we would see 14.95 again but I think that the stuff selling now for 700.00 a head would come down.

I agree prices will probably drop, but even if they were cut in half (which I highly doubt) that $700 per head coral is still $350.00 which is still, compared to previous pricing, outrageous.

Although $350 is absolutely an improvement, no doubt about it. It will be interesting to see what happens I'm just not holding my breath that's all. I hope they can find a happy balance and manage to export within reason and implement methods of repairing the reefs to sustain them in the long term as some countries are currently attempting.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 113 77.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back